Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAG 2.0 TDi 140 bhp.

Options
  • 26-03-2007 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Any 2.0 Tdi owners out there, im trying to find the best MPG possible, some people say 120 k/ph in 5th gear (2500rpm), or 140 k/ph in 6th (1800 RPM), is the most economical. Anyone back this up, as it makes the 6th gear a false economy.. i.e. your speeding.

Toying with the idea of a remap but TBH want to see what I can get standard, also cant get my head around the readings, the display says 6.1 / 100 or something, how can i work out my MPG, or Kpg.

:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

if your getting X l/100km then your getting 280/X MPG

so 6l/100km is 280/6 = 46.67 MPG

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd have thought the highest gear (6th) would give the best potential mpg.

120 or 140 kph will not be ideal though. 90 or 100 kph would surely be much better for pure economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yes, I'd have thought cruising between 90-100 km/h in 6th would be optimum for economy. Definitely in my car, once you start hitting 120-140 km/h there is a very noticeable drop in fuel economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

thanks. I'll run tests this week. Its hard to keep the foot off, does using the cruise control mess up the figures.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not really.

• Advertisement

Im being anal. Does it.? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Any 2.0 Tdi owners out there, im trying to find the best MPG possible, some people say 120 k/ph in 5th gear (2500rpm), or 140 k/ph in 6th (1800 RPM), is the most economical. Anyone back this up, as it makes the 6th gear a false economy.. i.e. your speeding.

Toying with the idea of a remap but TBH want to see what I can get standard, also cant get my head around the readings, the display says 6.1 / 100 or something, how can i work out my MPG, or Kpg.

:cool:

Had a 2.0TDI A3 till a few weeks ago. (Sold it to my brother). Would get on average between 50 and 55 according to the DIS on motorway dualer runs. In fact the last bigish trip I had was Bray to Blesssington over Sallygap and Blessington to Bray via Tallaght and the M50. It topped out at 57mpg!! (All according to DIS) Did the Airport to Bray via the M50 at night a year ago at an average speed of about 135kph. Got 52mpg. ie cruised at about 85mph most of the way.

If anything my MPG improved after I got my A3 remapped.

As for MPG -v- KM/1L or whatever it is. Had this on my new car and was able to go into the DIS menu and change it to the MPG I was used to.

On a sidenote I wanted to cry when I saw the current MPG on me new TT compared to my old A3. 22mpg :eek: :(

22mpg.! there was supposed to be a diesel engine going into the new TT this time around circa 200bhp.

Who remapped your old car, was there a big difference in power/economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

That was just a rumour apparently. No sign of a diesel TT for the foreseeable future. Probably came from the fact that the new A5 coupe has a diesel option from the start.

My A3 was remapped by Ed from Turbotech in Bray. Economy stayed the same and because the 2.0TDI has a flatter power curve anyway and the remaps maintain this, ie no nothing...all...nothing of the older Vag TDI's....at first I was unsure whether the map had taken. Soon as I got it on some open roads and from third gear and up....woahoa!!

Kinda means I'm a little underwhelmed with the power of the 2.0T petrol TT at the moment. Picks up quicker and less lag than the A3 but although its 200bhp -v- about 180bhp of the A3 its the torque that makes the differnce in how fast the respective cars feel. IIRC the torque figure for the TT is about 270-280nm. Standard 2.0TDI is 320nm! and remapped is about 350-360nm!!

TT will have to be remapped in due course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Calibos wrote:
    That was just a rumour apparently. No sign of a diesel TT for the foreseeable future. Probably came from the fact that the new A5 coupe has a diesel option from the start.
    Aren't Audi meant to be putting in the 170 bhp 2 litre diesel into the TT in time for next year? Certainly when it was mentioned a few years ago about the new TT it was said that there would be a diesel (2 litre) in '08 for it. Either way you can bet your left leg that this generation TT will have a diesel available at some point in its life cycle; after all there's talk that their R8 will have one (the V12 featured in the Q7 or the new V8 thats just gone into it perhaps?) and there was spy shots in Autocar last year of a diesel RS4(well the exhaust pipes were turned down anyway; the usual giveaway for a parafin stove) going around the Nürenbergring/ ot testing IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Not really.
    I wouldn't have thought so either but on a Top Gear when JC was driving a 3.0TDi A6, he was getting 34'ish mpg with cc off and 28'ish mpg with it on

I've never tried it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I think Audi won't use the 2.0TDi 170 as it will interfere with their 2.7TDi sales, basically render it useless as it's around 175 odd bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I wouldn't have thought so either but on a Top Gear when JC was driving a 3.0TDi A6, he was getting 34'ish mpg with cc off and 28'ish mpg with it on

Same here - I can get better economy using a gentle right foot rather than Cruise Control on my mondeo tdci. Best indicated mpg on the fuel computer was 73.6 over 10 miles before I got bored and drove it like it should be driven!:D

Lex Luthor wrote:

Don't confuse cruise control and climate control.

A number of sites say its better when turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the reason it's better when it's off is because it doesn't take hills into account. If you have you cruise set to 120KPH, it will do everything to stay at that speed, so if you're going up an incline it will have to drive harder to maintain the steady speed.
    If you're driving manually you tend to pick up speed going down hills and lose it going up, you're unlikely to rev harder to maintain a steady speed...

Advertisement