Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxback - 13 months after filing for return!

Options
  • 26-03-2007 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure where to post this, but here goes...

In the summer of 2005, I spent a J1 summer in America, as many students do. I was in a good job, paying a total of nearly $1000 in tax by the end of my stay.

In January 2006 I got my W-2 and sent it on to taxback.com, along with the other documents they required. At the beginning of february I was told "thanks very much, we'll begin processing but it may take 4 months depending on work load"

13 months, many emails and a lot of frustration later, I am told that my refund is ready to be sent to me, minus taxback's commission. After asking them repeatedly "show me the money" over the past year, I was sent various emails with vague information, simply stating there was "a delay" and it would take another 4-6 weeks (9 months in the end) for my refund to come through.

Now, I wouldn't call myself a sceptical person, but I wouldn't be surprised if this money has been doing the rounds for some time. Anyway, that's mindless conjecture and beside the point, which is this:

As with any customer delay, even one due to "circumstances beyond our control", should I now bend over and let taxback take their 15% without saying "hey, shouldn't you be taking less for leaving me hanging for so long?"

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'd write it off as stupid tax for using a taxback service in the first place!

Advertisement