Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SkyDsl

Options
  • 26-03-2007 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

So anyway I've been a subscriber to skydsl since before christmas and I still haven't found an installer who can install a dish to either Atlantic Bird 2 or Eurobird A (by the way, is Eurobird 1 the same as Eurobird A) i.e. For the last 4 months I have been subscribing to a service that I haven't even used once yet. I am near Ballyhaunis Co. Mayo. Can anybody suggest an installer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

what a pain in the behind! In one of the Free papers around Mayo, there is a guy that installs for polish and Russian people, so they can watch their own tv. He might be worth a go? I take it you have tried to do it yourself? i have put Sky in a few times, but its a lot more simple to find! What size dish are you using?

what a pain in the behind! In one of the Free papers around Mayo, ther is a guy that installs for polish and russian people, so they can watch their own tv. He might be worth a go? I take it you have tried to do it yourself? i have put Sky in a few times, but its a lot more simple to find! What size dish are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭shane_by

It is an arsh-ache no doubt about it. No, I haven't tried it myself because I wouldn't know where to start. I'll have a look in the local small ads to see if there's anyone who can help.
    Incidentally, the skydsl website refers to a satellite called EurobirdA. Is that the same as Eurobird 1?
    I am using a 97cm dish.

its not that hard to do Shane............. If you get a compas its pretty nuch straight forward.

You mean if I used one of those amateur compasses, I could align the dish using the skydsl software?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It might take an hour or two. And allow for local magnetic variations etc.

I night just give it a meself then. I'll let you know what happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan 10

Check posts by Netwhizkid, He installed it himself and I think is a bit of an expert by now on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

There is DSL available in Ballyhaunis, might be a better option in the long run. If you still want to use skydsl im 5 miles from you and might be able to give you a hand some evening after work. If the bracket etc is up and dish isnt a mile in the air it would be great :) I hate heights :D But have several dishes up so know where you need to be looking.

I accept payment in beer :)

There is DSL available in Ballyhaunis, might be a better option in the long run. If you still want to use skydsl im 5 miles from you and might be able to give you a hand some evening after work. If the bracket etc is up and dish isnt a mile in the air it would be great :) I hate heights :D But have several dishes up so know where you need to be looking.

I accept payment in beer :)

Good man, im always stunned by how people who dont even know each other are willing to give up their free time at NO cost (well maybe a beer). Its a good reflection on a persons character...................needless to say i have offered my services gratis in the past to forum members :) :cool:

Just out of interest what are your dishes for (the first person who says "for eating food" gets wins a prize!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Once you have the compass reading and your own location in Mayo in long and lat the settings for the satellite (tilt in degrees at c 20degrees, twist of the lnb from vertical and orientation ) are given by this free program

http://www.smw.se/res/smwlink/smwlink31.zip .

the software with the technisat skystar card will have a green dish in the taskbar when a signal is picked up and a red dish icon when no signal is picked up .

Gentleman (and ladies, perhaps?), I will let you all know how it pans out.

Incidentally, what do Atlantic Bird 2 and Telecom 2D have in common?

They both share the same orbital slot at 8degrees west. It is a common occurance, several satellites occupy (roughly!) the same orbital slots such as the several or so satellites beaming into 19.2east 13east etc. Each satellite only has a certain capacity so is limited in the amount of channels they can carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I use SkyDSL and it can be tricky to align the dish, The Data Application that comes provided can help big time to align the dish, Put a tick in the "Acoustic signalization" and when you are locked on it will start saying 95 - 96 etc. in a Stephen Hawkins like electronic voice. As you can see from the screenshot in the attachment below.

A handy way to do it is make up a temporary fly lead from the Dish to the PC and bring the PC close to the Dish and turn up the volume so you will hear it especially if you are up a ladder etc. I used a professional meter to align mine which has since broke :mad: eBay garbage!!! Try this method and it should surely make the job easier.

On the off chance that you happen to know any German, this messaging forum has loads of info on SkyDSL but it is nearly all in German, I managed to get a few bits out of it through free translation services like: http://babelfish.altavista.com/ and http://www.worldlingo.com/en/websites/url_translator.html

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

On the plus side ronan|raven is german .....

Anyways, this morning I had an installer out with a digital meter that had Atlantic Bird 2 @ 8 degrees West on it. He could pick up every single one of the East satellites under the sun but none of the West ones! So, still no joy. Can't understand it. I have a clear view of the southern sky so it's not that I'm behind a mountain or anything. I'm just assuming that I am located in some sort of 'blackspot' - we bulldozed a fairy bush to build the house so maybe they are pi**ed off with me and this is their way of getting their own back :p .
    Anyway, I think that I have no option at this stage but to cancel my skydsl subscription.
    By the way, I am grateful for all the offers of assistance that I have received here on Boards, including people offering to come out and give me a hand at installation but it wouldn't be fair to waste anybody's time by having them come out. It is, as an earlier poster said, a great thing that people are willing to give up their spare time to help others. Thanks again for all the offers of help.

So, my quest for some sort of surrogate or quasi-broadband service goes on. Does anybody use mediasat?

Shane, where exactly in ballyhaunis are you? Depending on where in Ballyhaunis you have the option of normal DSL ( over yer phoneline) lastmile wireless if they are still taking subscribers in Ballyhaunis or Satellite as you have already tried.

Odd how you cant get any westerly satellites.

Ronan, I've sent you a PM.

Incidentally, my exchange is on the list of exchanges, provided by DamienM, to be upgraded sometime in the future but, as Damien stressed, there is no actual date given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kerryblues

I would just like to to advise anyone thinking of skydsl to be aware of my experience with them . on 24 july 07 I paid the sum of 246.75 euros to skydsl . the hardware was delivered and the installer came out only to tell me that he could not carry out the work due to trees in the way . he advised that if I erected a pole then he would come back and finish the installation . not only did I erect the pole ,but i also fitted the dish , bought co-ax cable ...( only 10m is supplied for the instalation ) then ran that from the dish to the computer , fitted the pci into the computer and connected both ends . all that needed to be done was for the dish to be aligned . and depite all attemps, skydsl will not come back to complete the work . i have no idea why!!. they will not answer my emails nor will they return telephone calls . I have also recieved a demand for ongoing monthly rental with the threat of being disconnected if i do not pay .I have now asked for a refund and this also is being "stone walled" . i have now informed the telephone regulator and the consumer association of ireland has advised me to contact the ombudsman . i have also written to the relevent ministry in the government . I have just found an address for the main office in berlin and i shall be writing to them today . i think this will end up in court . if anyone wants any further information on this company , then i shall be pleased to furnish what i can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

shane_by wrote:
    Ronan, I've sent you a PM.

Incidentally, my exchange is on the list of exchanges, provided by DamienM, to be upgraded sometime in the future but, as Damien stressed, there is no actual date given.

I had this very same problem before. I have 2 Sky meters, subbed by Sky. When it finds an astra satellite, it will give me a beep as an indication it has found the satellite. However it will not do the same for other satellites. AB2 was a satellite I tried to align a few weeks back for a French guy, in the end I had to do it by hand. If your installer was using a subbed Sky meter from say the likes of Armstrongs, it will not find AB2 or any other satellite bar Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Spectreon666

kerryblues wrote: »
    I would just like to to advise anyone thinking of skydsl to be aware of my experience with them . on 24 july 07 I paid the sum of 246.75 euros to skydsl . the hardware was delivered and the installer came out only to tell me that he could not carry out the work due to trees in the way . he advised that if I erected a pole then he would come back and finish the installation . not only did I erect the pole ,but i also fitted the dish , bought co-ax cable ...( only 10m is supplied for the instalation ) then ran that from the dish to the computer , fitted the pci into the computer and connected both ends . all that needed to be done was for the dish to be aligned . and depite all attemps, skydsl will not come back to complete the work . i have no idea why!!. they will not answer my emails nor will they return telephone calls . I have also recieved a demand for ongoing monthly rental with the threat of being disconnected if i do not pay .I have now asked for a refund and this also is being "stone walled" . i have now informed the telephone regulator and the consumer association of ireland has advised me to contact the ombudsman . i have also written to the relevent ministry in the government . I have just found an address for the main office in berlin and i shall be writing to them today . i think this will end up in court . if anyone wants any further information on this company , then i shall be pleased to furnish what i can

I just signed up with them last week, but after hearing about this I'm quite concerned. So obviously Id have a few questions about it. If anyone can help me then thanks in advance. The guy I was talking to David, said that it was atmospheric and I dont live in a built up area said it would be fine. I already have a skytv dish facing south so I can get satellite feeds so the engineer better not give me any bull aboutnot getting a signal. But I was wondering Is there a longer dish cable provided as the distance I need it to go is about 15-20metres?

Advertisement