Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating a website

Options
  • 26-03-2007 12:46pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi guys, thought i saw a thread on this before but cant find it anywhere.

I was wondering what you would recommend to make changes to a website, not a CMS but a way of making simple changes to an already existing site. I am aware of Contribute but im wondering what else is out there that is simple to use for a client and that could be installed on the server maybe that they could login to and make these updates.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

You don't want a Content Managment System but you want your clients to be able to login to something running server-side and update the website? :confused:
    What kind of changes would they be making? Graphics? Text? Layout? etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

sounds like they do need a cms.... you could create your pages as dreamweaver templates with some editible regions and then you could get them a copy of dreamweaver and set up the ftp client, they could only edit the selected regions then but they might find it a bit annoying...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

what i mean is i dont want to go and use a CMS such as joomla, the site would be designed in say dreamweaver and then i would want them to be able to make simple text and graphic changes.

There would be no point in buying dreamweaver for them - that is the purpose of contribute which i already mentioned. Im just wondring what other options are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I have to say I've found some CMS'es to be a bit much.
    You log in and there's a ton of functionality you don't need/want.
    Are there any CMS'es out there that are geared towards no-frills sites with say 4 or 5 static pages?

I suppose what you could do is place editable content into seperate files... say for example there's a block of text that describes the history of the company... you could leave it in a seperate .txt file on the server (in a specific folder along with the others), then import/include it into the web page.
    All they have to do then is ftp it down, edit the plain-text in notepad, ftp it back up... very simple, no html.
    [php]<?php
    $filename = "content/about_company.txt";
    $handle = fopen($filename, 'r');
    $content = fread($handle, filesize($filename));
    $content = htmlentities($content);
    $content = nl2br($content);
    echo $content;
    ?>[/php]
    Slap that in <p></p> tags and you're laughing (well sort of).

Advertisement