Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording studios?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Anybody got an opinions on any recording studios in leinster? Looking for an affordable studio for a band and there seems to be loads of them out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

This is purely conjecture, so if anyone disgarees jump right in. But I have noticed that sometimes more private/small scale facilities are better than conventional large scale studios. I sometimes feel that amateur bands recording in large studios are more for the benefit of inexperienced engineers. A band I used to play with cut a demo and the engineer basically pressed 'record' and that was it. Another local band recorded a demo in an engineers living room and got the best quality I've heard in a demo. These are just my thoughts on the subject, it depends alot on what equipment you have your hands on and what quality you're expecting.

As for a list of names, I'll see what i can dig up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Elektra studios have a really good in-house engineer called Jay that I'd swear by, he does excellent work. Elektra is part of the temple bar studio thingy, I think it's one of the cheaper studios but I know this engineer does great work so I'd definitly check it out.

I dunno about other studios but I know from a few bands that yeah, they've suffered from the "training engineer" problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Check out www.gsrecs.com - there's a music player on the side with tunes recorded there so you don't have to take anyones word for it, listen yourself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv a similar question, I want a studio with engineer to record a single track. Elektra are €120 for 6 hours (with trainee engineer) which isn't bad but I wont need 6 hours. Anyone know an afforable place that i might get 2 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

You shouldnt underestimate the amount of time you will need. How many instruments are you going to record? Ive seen it take 2 hours just to record drums

• Advertisement

Just a an acoustic guitar and a singer thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You could easily spend an hour just getting a nice acoustic sound before you start doing takes. When you find takes you are happy with and then piece something together and then mix it so it sounds great (there's more to it than just pushing up faders), 6 hours will go by in a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Oh I'd forgotten about gsrecs ... they're nice guys, won't mess ya about or overcharge

Booked 6 hours in Elektra hopefully should do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

It's about the engineer, the room, the mics, and the rest of the signal chain in that order IMO.

Don't skimp on the room with acoustic instrument recording. Especially if it's being tracked together with vocals or more acoustic instruments.

Typically, the better sounding rooms will have a blurb stating 'acoustic design by whoever.com'. Westland, and Grouse Lodge are examples.

I don't really agree with the view that you only get interns engineering for you in
    these places, as they are normally fine with an act bringing their own engineer.

Just choose an up-and-coming guy who has some experience and whose work you like, and he will be delighted to work in such a room for a reasonable rate.

I'll get off my soapbox now...I just don't like this trend of beautifully designed acoustic spaces shutting down all over the world because people think everything can be done in someones garage/bedroom.

Would you prefer something the grandkids can appreciate, or a coaster ?

Nathan.

*disclaimer* My room has not been professionally acoustically designed... In fact it's a bit of a ghetto operation, but I stand by my opinion nonetheless.

*disclaimer#2* All you electro/close micing guys ignore this...it's the loss of spaces for acoustic insruments distantly miced, and bands playing together I bemoan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement