Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who doesnt smoke cannabis?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

nah im not into it myself.im around people who smoke it a lot but it just dosent appeal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Yup, pretty much why I simply can't be convinced that there's any kind of direct link between cannabis and mental illness.

now it wouldnt surprise me if it did something as in triggered it in people who have a history of it in their family or something, but as i said i would like to see some evidence.

read and article down by some university in the states, texas maybe, saying weed smokers were less likely to get cancer as thc kills old cells, which are the cells most likely to contract the disease.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Load of crap. But I'm not going to bother arguing.

Read this, might surprise you to see alcohol, weed and tobacco all above E, acid, and a number of other drugs: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5230006.stm

Still not a hope in hell of me going near E, partly because of the crap it's mixed with. Good to see people admitting that alcohol and tobacco are more harmful than cannabis though. In a perfect world, it would've been more difficult for me to get my mitts on booze or fags in my early to mid teens than cannabis. Maybe my reflexes would be a bit slower now, but my lungs and liver would be in a better state also I mightn't be so hungover right now and I wouldn't be going mental trying to remember where my lighter is..can I borrow one from someone please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Used to smoke loads when I was younger and in school. Just grew out of it and grew up. Wouldn't smoke now if offered even aside from potential random drug tests I might have to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I smoke a small bit of it at the odd house party - works out at about three times a year. Makes me giggly and increases the effects of any alcohol consumed (and can make me very sick/hung-over). But since it's a gateway drug, apparently I'm doomed to becoming a hardcore drug user. Funny that, considering I've never touched any other illegal substance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The odd joint here and there is fine, but if you smoke it everyday you're hiding from something. Whether that's an emotional problem or whatever, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'll smoke if I can get my hands on it, aka hardly ever.

If I'm in Amsterdam or somewhere where quality stuff is easily avaible I'll smoke up a storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Load of crap. But I'm not going to bother arguing.

Read this, might surprise you to see alcohol, weed and tobacco all above E, acid, and a number of other drugs: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/5230006.stm

Well you see that's why I said abused. Which do you think is worse, a person abusing alcohol or a person abusing LSD? I drink regularly but not to extreme and very occasionally smoke tobacco/weed but I still wouldn't take ecstasy regardless of it being "less harmful".

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'm another 'never have, never will'. Don't see any reason to.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Blowfish wrote: »
    I never understood the 'alcohol is worse than cannibis, therefore cannibis should be legalised argument'. Surely it would be the other way around, i.e. 'alcohol is worse than cannabis, therefore we should ban alcohol'.

First of all, I don't agree with the banning of any substance which has medical or recreational use. The argument that some people may misuse them does not justify this imposition on our personal liberties, and ignores the role of personal responsibility.

As to banning alcohol. Well, alcohol and nicotine are the most popular recreational drugs in the country by a mile. Even if banning them caused a large drop in demand, it would still multiply the value of the irish black market. If you think gangland crime is a problem now...

By the way, nutmeg is psychoactive too. Why is nobody outraged at it's legality? http://www.truthtree.com/Nutmeg.shtml

• Advertisement

First of all, I don't agree with the banning of any substance which has medical or recreational use. The argument that some people may misuse them does not justify this imposition on our personal liberties, and ignores the role of personal responsibility.

You're forgetting the fact that a very large percentage of people are scumbags and they don't understand or care to understand the concept of personal responsibility.

What you wish for is a dream. Most humans cannot be trusted, and it's unlikely this will ever change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ok there comrade, will you join me in saluting the leader?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Tryed it the cookies once about a month ago, just made me hugury...

.....ohh a cookie

ok there comrade, will you join me in saluting the leader?

Is that aimed at me?

I would love to bring everything down to personal responsibility, but the sad reality is most humans are not capable of being responsible.

Until that changes, it would be a mistake to let the masses get off their head whenever they want. We already have huge problems trying to handle alcohol abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Adyx wrote: »
    Which do you think is worse, a person abusing alcohol or a person abusing LSD?
    Well, alcohol abuse will likely cause chronic addiction and death, whereas LSD abuse will cause no physical damage, and it's quite hard to abuse, as you won't get very strong effects if you take it again a day or two after you've taken it.

Of course, if one is prone to mental illness or has psychological problems, then overuse of LSD will likely be bad for this person's mental health, but it won't kill them.

Considering alcohol has a higher addiction potential and is potentially fatal, I'd have to say LSD would probably be safer to abuse, not that I'd recommend it.

To be fair, I don't think anyone has studied the long term effects of chronic LSD use, so we don't know for certain what would happen.

I do agree though that it appears long term alcohol abuse is very bad for you...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Nope never smoked it, never done any drugs.
    Very anti drugs.

Would prefer to put up with a cold/flu/headache than take lempsip/aspirin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

dublindude wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't think anyone has studied the long term effects of chronic LSD use, so we don't know for certain what would happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_leary

nix wrote: »

He was hardly unbiased though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Would prefer to put up with a cold/flu/headache than take lempsip/aspirin etc
    Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

kearnsr wrote: »
    I dont smoke it and I'm a rocket scientist

:):):)

theres a line for an advertsing campaign if ive ever heard one

its also worth bearing in mind that when the dealers abroad buy their quite pure resin from Morrocco and the like they then transport it to western europe for distribution ( by the way a lot of small kids drown or have bad accidents bringing this stuff ashore in spain so affluent westerners can indulge their habit) . Being criminal scum of course the crims like to maximise profits at the expense of more peoples health , so they melt the resin down and bulk it out . Unlike cocaine or heroin its a very dark colour so very dark meltable products , either very cheap or completly free to procure , are added to the gloop and mixed up . Generally they favour animal faeces from farms and old car and bicycle tyres . These mix in best .
    Id also advise those who smoke this stuff to check their blood pressure immediately before and afterwards , interesting little experiment .

As regards gateways and the like its a very simple fact that in order to buy illegal drugs one must go to a drug dealer . Its very unlikely youll start taking coke and heroin if you dont know any drug dealers wholl sell it to you . Irelands heroin epidemic was kick started by dealers who started out selling cannabis then cut off their cannabis supply dramatically one weekend and offered out cut price and even free smokable heroin to their usual cannabis customers for a few months . There was no sudden urge by cannabis users in the inner cities to start smoking heroin instead . It was not they who asked the dealers for a different product but rather the dealers who determined what the available product would be .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

its also worth bearing in mind that when the dealers abroad buy their quite pure resin from Morrocco and the like they then transport it to western europe for distribution ( by the way a lot of small kids drown or have bad accidents bringing this stuff ashore in spain so affluent westerners can indulge their habit) . Being criminal scum of course the crims like to maximise profits at the expense of more peoples health , so they melt the resin down and bulk it out . Unlike cocaine or heroin its a very dark colour so very dark meltable products , either very cheap or completly free to procure , are added to the gloop and mixed up . Generally they favour animal faeces from farms and old car and bicycle tyres . These mix in best .
    Id also advise those who smoke this stuff to check their blood pressure immediately before and afterwards , interesting little experiment .

As regards gateways and the like its a very simple fact that in order to buy illegal drugs one must go to a drug dealer . Its very unlikely youll start taking coke and heroin if you dont know any drug dealers wholl sell it to you . Irelands heroin epidemic was kick started by dealers who started out selling cannabis then cut off their cannabis supply dramatically one weekend and offered out cut price and even free smokable heroin to their usual cannabis customers for a few months . There was no sudden urge by cannabis users in the inner cities to start smoking heroin instead . It was not they who asked the dealers for a different product but rather the dealers who determined what the available product would be .

Do you have a problem with the companies Nike, Adidas, Umbro, Coca Cola, Reebox etc. most comerical comapnies exploit their workers.

The drug trade isn't the only trade the people get abused in, it's just easy to attack the drug trade because it's illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I don't smoke. I used to take it a lot in my late teens, cooking the solids in an oil and sieving it off (this habit came about after a few batches with sand\glass like material mixed in..).

Don't use drugs now. I value being stone cold sober in every sense, first thing in the morning, and throughout the day.

What I loathe isn't the drug itself, it's just a drug, but people that spout that it does nothing to you. The effects of driving and using drugs is an increasing one.

After lunch, at one of my jobs, you would give the forklift drivers a wide space, try and avoid being singled out for a game of 'chicken', as most would have been smoking the entire break.. and be quite stoned. Get hit by a Toyota 60 at even a slow speed and something will be broken\smashed\squashed.

I also think the future of managing the problem will have nothing to do with the Gardaí, but will involve 'social conditioning', basically having to piss into a paper cup repeatedly to get anywhere, insurance, job etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

You make it sound like the consumer didnt have the choice to not buy the heroin :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

You make it sound like the consumer didnt have the choice to not buy the heroin :cool:

But they didn't Nix, they feckin' well didn't. Haha! :p

I smoke cannabis regularly, and I know plenty of people who do, but I also know plenty who don't. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Don't smoke - weed or tobacco, don't have any interest in it, possibly due to the fact that when, (in my experience) even intelligent people of my acquaintance smoke it turns them into idiots with the added disadvantage of believing they're riveting company. Detest the company of drunks for the same reason. Two glasses of wine is my limit, hate the feeling of being out of control anyway... and yes, before anyone asks, the view from my moral high ground is fabulous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

not me!

not an educated choice , no. They were told smoking it was harmless as opposed to injecting . And after a few goes smoking it the issue of choice pretty much went out the window . As did smoking it , their bodies craved more than smoking could deliver so injection was then necessary to avoid the hell of heroin cravings. Your not suggesting people made the choice of chronic addiction to heroin surely ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Never done recreational drugs, never smoked, and I've never been drunk. There are no medicines in my house because I also don't take medicines when I get sick. I don't drink coffee - the only beverages I drink are caffeine free. I will only put drugs into my system if it is required by a doctor (like when I had eye surgery, I had to put prescription eye drops into my eyes). This isn't to say that I don't put harmful things into my body - I'm sure I do. I'm in the process of cutting out all remaining processed/synthetic foods from my diet and replacing them with all natural, organic alternatives. This is just the way I choose to live my life. While drugs can be helpful, I believe in using them only when necessary. I'm a writer and artist with an MFA, and many of my friends either do drugs or have done drugs. I don't have a problem with that, as I think it's their choice, in much the same way being drug/smoke/alcohol free is my choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement