Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who doesnt smoke cannabis?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

alcohol is a recreational drug.

you can debate the pharmacology of that statement all day; but it is still used like any other recreational drug would.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ivan wrote: »
    Well, in Moonbaby's defense, you do have an unusual boards name.

not really. Its just my last name and the first intial of my first name

The amount of work colleagues who come up to me now they know I dont drink and tell me the same feckin tales of woe I used to have only confirms my view .

Jesus. Sounds like some work place.

I like clubbing. My friends like clubbing. The best stories of my life involve clubs, parties and great nights out. Chill out, head over to the Life Festival in Galway in July. Now that will be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

never have done and never will

Whatever happened to the 'hope I die before I get old' line? I don't want to live 20 years longer and slip away thinking of all the great parties and nights out I missed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Whatever happened to the 'hope I die before I get old' line? I don't want to live 20 years longer and slip away thinking of all the great parties and nights out I missed.

you dont need drink and or drugs to have great nights out. I've had some unreal nights out lately that had no drink involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

I Smoke quite often.. I.e Three or four nights a week.
    Personal Choice Tbh... And I enjoy it.
    I'm an engineer.

kearnsr wrote: »
    you dont need drink and or drugs to have great nights out.

Possibly.

But don't think it works with dance music. Its the reason ecstasy became so popular, there is a synergy between the effects of the drug and the beat. And I happen to like dance music and clubs and that whole scene, and I meet wonderful interesting people there (not so much the Celtic jersey wearing skanger types, more the artistic bohemian types that have gone off to live in Goa or Nepal and really opened their minds to life).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

"really opened their minds to life"

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Steyr wrote: »
    Never smoked and never touched Drugs of any type,:D i just would not lower myself to that level.
    Have you ever "lowered yourself" to the level of drinking alcohol (ethanol is a poison) or smoking a cigarette (nicotene is a very serious poison, carcinogen, etc.)??
    As far as I am aware, cannabis is less dangerous than both of these, with all three being drugs, they are in the same universal class with varying levels of harm, mild cannabis use being the least harm.

So the "lowering yourself" remark is either misinformed, or else you have a massive respect for the laws of the country and wouldn't want to break them.
    Just wondered which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Only losers and scumbags go near drugs. It has been scientifically tested that cannibas can cause mental problems and is related to the rise in crime.

Pffftt, enough of that bullshìt!! I used to smoke but I eventually got sick of the stuff. Because of my personality I prefer being up & about than quiet and stoned with gooey red eyes. All my buddies are regular smokers but I prefer my booze, at least then I have an excuse to grope women. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

rofl i find it hilarious that most people against it havent ever tried it nor knows anything about the health risks or effects from it.

Drugs are bad mmmmkay !

You can keep your harmless drugs ill go back to drinking my drug which kills more people and ruins more lives than all illegal drugs put together FACT !

:D:D:D

Ciaran500 wrote: »

Well, that's the exact phrase they use maaaaaaan!
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Only losers and scumbags go near drugs.

:D:D

I know some extremely rich people with the villa on the golf couse in Tuscany, the trophy wife in the sports car, and the powerful job. And they are happy. Even more so when they do the odd line of coke. They would fall about laughing at the 'loser and scumbag' analogy. Even ad campaigns in the 50s wouldn't spout rubbish like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

1der wrote: »
    Is there anyone who doesnt smoke cannabis?.... Anyway jus want to know if there is anybody who doesnt smoke cannibas in ireland today...

You make it sound like you think everybody in Ireland smokes dope? No way is that the case. I'm going to take a guess that you're a young'un (don't be offended if you're not), but drugs don't play a part in the majority of peoples lives. I used to in my early/mid-teens but I haven't for a long time. Its a bit of a laugh and all but after a while I just realised that I'd had enough. The paranoia was doing my head in and I just was fed up of not being able to think straight when I was stoned!
    1der wrote:
    well not everybody but i'd bet that at least 75% of fellas over the age of 17 in any urban area in the country would be at very least a casual smoker.

I'd seriously doubt that. I'd even say that a bracket of 25% of people over the age 15 in Ireland smoke dope regularly would be too high. By saying that 75% do, you could be saying that around 1 million males in Ireland do it. No way.

While I'm at it, that whole "drugs are for scumbags and losers", train of thought is a load of bulls***. Only someone with half a brain would want me to expand on that. And by saying that, I'm not promoting or saying drugs are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I'm really surprised by the results of that poll.

I thought that most people these days smoke it and I was in the minority....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I smoke it, and would choose it over alcohol.Alcohol Turns People violent and annoying.
    If alcohol was discovered today it would be illegal as hell, and if cannibas was discovered today it wouldnt, because it has so so many uses,
    To name a few things that can be made from cannabis :
    medicine, fuel, paper, food, rope, maps, clothes, nets, lace, soap, sails, shoes, plastics, explosives, caulking, fiberboard, paint, sealant, methanol, gasoline, fibre for fuel, bricks, charcoal, auto bodies, packing mass, lubricants, oil for lighting, oil for fuel, oil for lights, animal food, furniture, mats, varnish, lotions, ointments, lacquer, salad dressings.

The OP should have said "Taken Cannabis" instead of "smoked" as its the smoking part that puts lots of people off.

http://www.ccguide.org.uk/uses.php

EDIT: Bring on the lame excuses as to why its the gateway drug, bla bla bla!

Possibly.

But don't think it works with dance music. Its the reason ecstasy became so popular, there is a synergy between the effects of the drug and the beat. And I happen to like dance music and clubs and that whole scene, and I meet wonderful interesting people there (not so much the Celtic jersey wearing skanger types, more the artistic bohemian types that have gone off to live in Goa or Nepal and really opened their minds to life).

I was/am in to my dance music and haven't taken any illegal drugs in my life. I went to Cream Fields years ago sober because I was on perception drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ciaran500 wrote: »

LOL
    I'll see you LOL and raise you a LMFAO.
    I know some extremely rich people with the villa on the golf couse in Tuscany, the trophy wife in the sports car, and the powerful job. And they are happy. Even more so when they do the odd line of coke. They would fall about laughing at the 'loser and scumbag' analogy. Even ad campaigns in the 50s wouldn't spout rubbish like that.

Money doesn't buy you class and/or dignity.

Terry wrote: »
    Money doesn't buy you class and/or dignity.

True. But they have those in spades too.

The odd line of coke doesn't make them some inner city bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

As Keef Richards said in an interview around 10 years back 'kicked the coke and heroin and living a healthly life, even down to just the one bottle of Jack Daniels a day'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Conor74 banned for advocating the use of illegal drugs.
    Post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Never taken it. Probably never will either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Have had friends who have been\are quite into it but it never particularly appealed to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I'm really surprised by the results of that poll.

I thought that most people these days smoke it and I was in the minority....

Ya it's a pretty even split between people who've never smoked/people who've only tried it once, and people who smoke. Suprising :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Id say it is, but most of the pot smokers are probably out in the sun smokin it up, might be a reason, 90% of my friends smoke, and about 1/2 people in the office. and im in here "working". Roll on 6pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Actually as a matter of interest, do the people who smoke cannabis here smoke alone or socially?

Myself, its always social, seems to be more fun that way, listen to music chat about nothing etc. Smoking it alone has never appealed to me because I tend to just fall asleep :D

With something like weed, I basically see it as an alternative to alchohol, for me anyway people are friendlier and a lot more fun when their stoned instead of drunk... of course being drunk can be good, but the point where everyone is a little tipsy flys by quickly to the point where everyone is wrecked and wants to get food and go home :/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't smoke at all (on both health and ethical grounds) never mind anything stronger than that. Happily it looks like the poll puts me in the majority on this one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I used to smoke years ago like the majority of experimental teeangers. I quit when I was about 18, and quit smoking in general when I was 21. I feel much more healthy since quitting smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't but i've always wondered what it's like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

robby^5 wrote: »
    With something like weed, I basically see it as an alternative to alchohol, for me anyway people are friendlier and a lot more fun when their stoned instead of drunk...

Maybe that's if you're also stoned. I don't smoke but have lived with people who smoked everyday and tbh stoners don't strike me as that much fun. They were usually content to just sit on the couch all day and watch crappy tv. Not really amazing company.
    I have no problem with people using cannabis but i wouldn't legalise it as a hell of a lot more people would take up the habit. If you want it, you can get it.
    The alcohol comparisons are getting a little worn out at this stage. The majority of people don't get violent after a few drinks. And many who do are after having a few lines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement