Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anyone who doesnt smoke cannabis?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

THC is a psychoactive drug, it does far from knocking me out, unless I were already pissed. I don't smoke it anymore though. I smoked enough in my teens, and apparantly this is the worst time to smoke heavily as the brain is still developing and you are more likely to contract cannabis psychosis.
    Had I held off for a couple of years, I'd probably be now joining my friends in their all day sessions.
    Kinda glad I knocked it on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Slow coach wrote:
    It still is not fact. It's just some scientists' opinions.

This is the single stupidest thing I have ever read on the internet. You are a fuc.king idiot. Maybe you'd prefer to go by the anecdotal evidence presented in the thread that shows cannabis is grand?

CathyMoran wrote:
    I am just saying that the side effects from a legally prescribed drug that I do not want to have to take but have to for pain relief are bad enough.

This is an unfortunate view on drugs. Some people seem to think there is a linear scale that drugs can be measured on but their effects vary wildly. The logic you're using just doesn't apply in a system as complicated as chemical effects in the human brain.

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I assume then it's cool for Dutch people to smoke it. There's nothing inherently wrong with taking a drug. If drug use creates problems in society then it should be frowned upon and dealt with but when the legislation governing the drug is at fault it's pretty thick to blame the drug itself.

I can promise you that nothing I have bought recently has come through the hands of these gangs.

To those who moan about soap bar you should try a little harder to find good stuff. I don't think I've bought soap bar in at least 2 years. Tell your friends to stop buying and selling it so there is no demand and it won't be imported anymore. Then keep asking around until you find someone selling something better. There's lots out there, I'd find it more difficult to buy soap now than pollen or weed.

Maybe try grow it yourself. There are kits on the internet that will be delivered to your door and will give you plenty of value for money. Or try ordering weed off the internet, again, it's out there if you look hard enough.

I smoke a few times a week and I'm studying for my master's. I've seen people go nowhere after taking up smoking but blame their parents and them not the drug.

Warning: side effects may include euphoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

alantc wrote:
    This is the single stupidest thing I have ever read on the internet. You are a fuc.king idiot. Maybe you'd prefer to go by the anecdotal evidence presented in the thread that shows cannabis is grand?

Banned for 2 weeks for personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Used to smoke serious amounts, from I suppose about 15 - 18 or 19, I am not totally certain. Waking up - smoking, and then smoking it all day, hash or weed, probably Monday to Friday I would smoke an ounce, and then depending on the company I was with over the weekend, maybe another (sometimes more). Obviously I wasn't 15 years of age and smoking two ounces a week, this happend towards the end of my 'career' with hash, financed, by a really good part time job, and selling hash also.. but never for profit.. just covered costs.. of the initial amount I would get.. I don't feel awfully proud of this.. but anyway.

But basically, I started to loose it, I even remembered the day it started to happen; was walking to my friends house, and just lost it completely, became totally terrified, the world was out to get me, the cops were coming for me, everything. Pretty much after that, anytime I smoked, I would not have a good experience, same thing mad paranoia, panic attacks, even started to think at one stage my mother was poisoning my food, and trying to kill me..

I was once smoking with a friend, and was convinced, that the tobacco from the cigarettes was soaking into my skin, and poisining me.. I started to ball my eyes eye's out, and thought I was not going to make it through the night.. (I know this seems crazy, but you have to realise.. just how bad my head had got..)

Another time, I was convinced the cops were coming to kick in the door, so I threw all the stuff I had from a balcony, including all bongs and stuff (holidays in a tall apartment block), then hid under a bed in a locked room with the lights turned off.. crying.. totally terrified..

I could give easily a few more examples..

I also remember feeling uneasy, pretty much all of time, thinking people were following me etc, oddly enough, considering some of the people I hung round with, I may not have been too far off the mark, but that's another story.. I may write a book someday.. anyway..

So I had to stop, which was pretty easy considering the alternative, it would be really very rarely I smoke now (twice a year, if even, except for when I was living abroad, and then I was doing a lot more than smoking a few joints) and pretty much only when I am pissed drunk, otherwise there is no way I could handle it.

When I was about 22 - 23 I end up in the same situation but with cocaine, not spending millions on it a week, but doing enough to keep me ticking over, sometimes first thing in the morning, or very soon after I woke up, that.. I found was easier to stop than smoking hash. I think because when you come off that you realise (my personal experience), just how much it is screwing people up you know, it's changed alot of my friends .. who now I just can't relate to.

I have no real opinion on whether hash should be legalised, I think people are grown up to make their own choices, and in this country I find it is a case of "Mammy knows best", which I don;t agree with. I know people who smoke it, every now and again, hold down great jobs, and pretty much use it to chill out at the end of the day, bu the money that they pay for it, I suppose in the bigger picture is going to some very dangerous people.

I do wonder did I have some sort of underlying mental illness that smoking hash brought out, or accelerated, but it certainly did happen, and was terrifying. I would say if you start to get any kind of panic attacks or paranoia, to stop smoking it.

That's my story anyway, take it or leave it as you will
    Thanks
    TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

NeMiSiS wrote:
    probably Monday to Friday I would smoke an ounce, and then depending on the company I was with over the weekend, maybe another (sometimes more).
    Jesus H Christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

CathyMoran wrote:
    I would not risk drug interactions with all the other drugs that I am on, if there was proper medicinal testing and it was proved to be of benefit and did not interact badly with any of my other drugs I would not have a problem with it, otherwise no.
    I think an answer to that question is a long way off and even then they'll never be able to say "thats across the board" and aplicable to everyone.
    Crucifix wrote:
    Almost a 3rd never tried, over 40% don't use it.

There's no option I feel applies to me. I guess I could select 'tried it once and didn't like it', but I tried it like 30 or 40 times.
    That still leaves nearly 2/3rds that have tried or smoke regularly. Which is a large proportion of any social group to be classed as criminals. It's a big number, what percentage of the population smoke ciggarettes or drink? That's huge money going to criminal gangs. The only thing that can be said against using the drug on the individual level is that some people might be pushed into a mental illnesses which could be triggered by other events or drugs.

Even if it was legalised and all these smokers came out of the woodwork I don't think there'll be an epidemic of cronic cannabis use. The vast majority of drug users obviously don't trun into junkies. If it was above board it may even be possible to avoid horrible outcomes like what happened to Nemisis, who abused the drug. I wouldn't even go as far as saying you had an underlieing condition nemisis you abuse any drug to that extent and it'll mess up your head. I think you have an adictive personality or maybe there's thoughts your trying to avoid, it's hard to know but you have to take care of yourself, body temple and all that lark.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yeah. Thats based on the assumption that weed is more difficult to get because it is illegal.
    It isnt. At all.
    Of course it is more difficult to get than Alcohol. There are not 10,000 locations where you can buy cannibis that are heavily advertised with signs outside proclaiming the sale of it (bar the old shoes over the wire allegations). I am sure it is not difficult to get and I could get it if I wished to, but I would have to do some asking before I knew where to go as it is not something I have ever sought to know. No matter how anti alcohol a person is they are aware of places they could buy it without the need to ask anyone. You can't exactly use the Yellow Pages (not to my knowledge anyways).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

"If it was above board it may even be possible to avoid horrible outcomes like what happened to Nemisis, who abused the drug. I wouldn't even go as far as saying you had an underlieing condition nemisis you abuse any drug to that extent and it'll mess up your head. I think you have an adictive personality or maybe there's thoughts your trying to avoid, it's hard to know but you have to take care of yourself, body temple and all that lark."

I'd agree with the addictive personality thing, just reading the thread, I think some people doubted what could happen.. if you smoked alot. I just wanted to give a first hand account.
    Thanks
    Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I dont drink and dont do drugs I am like a feckin saint here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Anyone who smokes cannabis is dumb. Don't clog up the health system in 50 years with your mental health problems, *****. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Anyone who drinks alcohol is dumb. Don't clog up the health system in 50 years with your liver problems, *****. :rolleyes:

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Anyone who drinks alcohol is dumb. Don't clog up the health system in 50 years with your liver problems, *****. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Next?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anyone who lives past 75 is dumb. Don't clog up the health system in 50 years time with your alzheimers problems.

Mordeth wrote:
    anyone who lives past 75 is dumb. Don't clog up the health system in 50 years time with your alzheimers problems.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Poll doesn't offer an option for used to toot like Cheech Marin and Tommy Chong but don't anymore? Does this suggest that once you start you get hooked and never stop? Often heard this rumoured....... (-:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

1der wrote:
    well not everybody but i'd bet that at least 75% of fellas over the age of 17 in any urban area in the country would be at very least a casual smoker. it doesnt seem to be so popular in the country though.

75% casually smoke hash? Not a chance. I'm 21 and maybe 33% at most would casually smoke it. Nearly everyone would have tried it at least once though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

About 80% of the people I know are casual smokers, with maybe half of that number being more than causal.

We can all say "I think X% of people smoke" - that won't cut it. If you're a stoner, you most likely hang around with other stoners. If you're straight, then you go to bingo with grannies or some shit like that :p 67.4% of stats are lies tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I tried once but with coffee as I am a non smoker and I didn´t like it. I was very young at the time and it was such a waste of an afternoon.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Went for the very odd time as I am an ex smoker. Don't see the point in it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Still smoke maybe one spliff a week or thereabouts but I'm not too pushed about it anymore tbh, its not as much fun as it used to be... I can't be arsed to actively try get hold of it when I run out anymore, which is a good sign I spose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

75% casually smoke hash? Not a chance. I'm 21 and maybe 33% at most would casually smoke it. Nearly everyone would have tried it at least once though.

Depends on the age group.....
    I would guesstimate that less that 1 in 20 of the over 30s casually smoke hash.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

hmmm, i would if i could get my hands on any, not a drop to be had:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

irishbird wrote:

Tell me about it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Wow,

11 pages of complete nonsense.

"I smoked it once I *giggled*/O/"

"I smoked it and stayed awake all night thing I was going to die *LOL*"

"I smoked once and turned green *hehehe*"

"I don't smoke it causes mental issues *LOL*"
    wtf wrote:
    "But basically, I started to loose it, I even remembered the day it started to happen; was walking to my friends house, and just lost it completely, became totally terrified, the world was out to get me, the cops were coming for me, everything. Pretty much after that, anytime I smoked, I would not have a good experience, same thing mad paranoia, panic attacks, even started to think at one stage my mother was poisoning my food, and trying to kill me..

I was once smoking with a friend, and was convinced, that the tobacco from the cigarettes was soaking into my skin, and poisining me.. I started to ball my eyes eye's out, and thought I was not going to make it through the night.. (I know this seems crazy, but you have to realise.. just how bad my head had got..)"

IMO you definitley need some form of drug, cannabis is not it.

After Hours is really really getting bad and this just takes the biscuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

ntlbell wrote:
    Wow,

11 pages of complete nonsense.

"I smoked it once I *giggled*/O/"

"I smoked it and stayed awake all night thing I was going to die *LOL*"

"I smoked once and turned green *hehehe*"

"I don't smoke it causes mental issues *LOL*"

IMO you definitley need some form of drug, cannabis is not it.

After Hours is really really getting bad and this just takes the biscuit.
    If youve no interest in the topic dont post in the thread. kthxbye.

CiaranC wrote:
    If youve no interest in the topic dont post in the thread. kthxbye.

I have an intrest in the topic.

It's just a pitty there isn't one informative post in the 11 pages on the topic.

irishbird wrote:

You must be living on the wrong side of the city.

Priority goes to us north siders.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ntlbell wrote:
    I have an intrest in the topic.

It's just a pitty there isn't one informative post in the 11 pages on the topic.

Yeah, cause your contributions have been really helpful.

btw you may be in for a rude awakening if you thing smoking dope has no effect on your mental health, or can't effect people like it did wtf

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ntlbell wrote:
    You must be living on the wrong side of the city.

Priority goes to us north siders.
    If you are an example of what someone looks like after smoking the stuff, then I am glad I haven't. You probably used to be every teenage girls dream back in the day!!!! :p

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote:
    If you are an example of what someone looks like after smoking the stuff, then I am glad I haven't. You probably used to be every teenage girls dream back in the day!!!! :p

rofl.

What do you mean back in the day.

I still am. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement