Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3's crazy restrictions on sims/handsets

• 26-03-2007 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

3 certainly seem to be very restrictive when it comes to using unlocked phones on their network.

I just googled "non 3 phones on 3 network" and surprisingly this is a much discussed topic on the net. i
    found some interesting and funny reports.

3 seem to go to bizarre lengths to ensure people don't use unlocked phones with their sims.
    apparently they check the imei remotely and if it's not one of their handsets they send you a message saying they will block your account.

someone mentioned in another thread here about how they can tell if your using the phone as a modem when you shouldn't be and charge you accordingly.

also I read reports of how they glue sim cards into their handsets. wtf.

and that's apart from the software headaches mentioned on another thread here.

personally I was thinking of switching to 3 because of the new tarriffs but don't want to use any of their handsets.

ideally I want to use a 3g windows mobile phone on their network but just wonder what kind of complications this leads to.

apparently it's possible but
    a) 3 don't like this (possibly leading to breach of contract?) b) even if I could do this i'm guessing i'd have problems between windows mobile software and 3 (even moreso than the problems described elsewhere with the symbian os and 3)

anyone else using windows mobile and thinking of moving to 3? i'd be very interested in hearing what your experience is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

Hi

I've heard the same stories about 3 sending messages to people using non 3 handsets.

One reason I heard was that three feel that people using non three handsets set up the phones incorrectly. The main thing is that a non 3 phone might not be defaulting to use 3G and might be using 2/2.5 G too much. Because three do not have a 2/2.5G network they must pay a partner company (Vodafone in Ireland AFAIK) a fee for all non 3G usage.

I have just signed up for 3 this morning (moving from 02).

My main phone is a Loox 830 Windows Mobile 5 device (this has 3G).

I am hoping if I set my phone to only use 3G I will not get any hastle from three Ireland. I am also getting a mobile from 3 just in case it does not work.

I've heard people in the UK use windows mobile with x-series so hopefully it will work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

leahcim wrote:
    Hi

I've heard the same stories about 3 sending messages to people using non 3 handsets.

One reason I heard was that three feel that people using non three handsets set up the phones incorrectly. The main thing is that a non 3 phone might not be defaulting to use 3G and might be using 2/2.5 G too much. Because three do not have a 2/2.5G network they must pay a partner company (Vodafone in Ireland AFAIK) a fee for all non 3G usage.

I have just signed up for 3 this morning (moving from 02).

My main phone is a Loox 830 Windows Mobile 5 device (this has 3G).

I am hoping if I set my phone to only use 3G I will not get any hastle from three Ireland. I am also getting a mobile from 3 just in case it does not work.

I've heard people in the UK use windows mobile with x-series so hopefully it will work here.

Thought that I read somewhere here, that it was possible to use any unlocked 3G phone on the 3 Network :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

http://mobile.allaboutsymbian.com/features/item/Its_time_to_buy_SIM-free_phones.php

Any phone should work. JUst get them to txt u the settings..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

3's main priority I would have thought is to ensure that their branded handsets are not used on other networks. As long as they are 'locked' to their own network then they can recoup the subsidy they have put into them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

leahcim, you might let me know how you get on with your loox t830.
    are you going pre-pay or bill?
    i'd be interested to hear what limitations to the wm os you'll experience (primarily in using 3's data offering for browsing and email).

also just to confirm: gprs-only phones DON'T work on the 3 network-ie you can't set the phone up to only connect to the back-up gprs network, right?
    thanks.

• Advertisement

i'm nearly you could set up a sim free handset to stay on a 2.5g network. Defaulting to a 3G signal is something that 3 have set up on their firmwares.. that might only be for symbian handsets though.. not sure about a std phone..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

quintron wrote:
    i'm nearly you could set up a sim free handset to stay on a 2.5g network. Defaulting to a 3G signal is something that 3 have set up on their firmwares.. that might only be for symbian handsets though.. not sure about a std phone..

Whatever you do, do not do that. Leave it on Dual Mode (Automatic) or 3G only.

Whatever you do, do not do that. Leave it on Dual Mode (Automatic) or 3G only.

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

quintron wrote:
    why?

because they have no 2g coverage in dublin and a load of other places

granted... but you at least have an option to go to 2.5 with a sim free handset. I got the impression from op that they needed this in their area. Don't know why you would want to do this with a handset in the first place but hey its possible..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

quintron wrote:
    granted... but you at least have an option to go to 2.5 with a sim free handset. I got the impression from op that they needed this in their area. Don't know why you would want to do this with a handset in the first place but hey its possible..

no, I was basically wondering if a non-3g (ie gprs only) handset could be used with 3 (perhaps by setting such a gprs-only handset to connect to 3's fallback gprs network only).

but obviously even if that was possible ye say that 3's gprs coverage isn't comprehensive.
    fair enough.

edit: btw both 2g and 2.5g were mentioned in the above posts -when you say 3's 2g coverage is not great does that mean their GPRS coverage is poor?

mkennedy wrote:
    edit: btw both 2g and 2.5g were mentioned in the above posts -when you say 3's 2g coverage is not great does that mean their GPRS coverage is poor?

what it means is that if you're in an urban area or anywhere where 3 has their own coverage and you have a non-3g phone, then you will have no coverage whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Yes they do.

Actually now that I think about it, they do have 2.5g coverage.. One of the rooms in my house seems to be between 2 x 3G enabled masts and it roams onto a 2.5g signal no problem. Thats in North Dublin city.
    IN areas of Rathfarnam where I used to work, I was on a 2.5g signal..
    So.. 3 handsets are able to use a 2.5g signal where available it would seem....

quintron wrote:
    Actually now that I think about it, they do have 2.5g coverage.. One of the rooms in my house seems to be between 2 x 3G enabled masts and it roams onto a 2.5g signal no problem. Thats in North Dublin city.
    IN areas of Rathfarnam where I used to work, I was on a 2.5g signal..
    So.. 3 handsets are able to use a 2.5g signal where available it would seem....

they are but its not available in a lot of places. they only use vodafone's coverage where they have to, i.e. you can only connect to certain masts. its the same with meteor's deal with o2 and now vodafone. a meteor phone will only pick up vodafone's coverage in rural areas. in dublin, if you have no meteor coverage you still won't connect to a vodafone mast.

i got a program that let me set 2g coverage only on my old 3 6680 (which 3 disables) and when i did i had zero coverage in dublin 15

Not to mention 3 don't have their own 2G network, you'd be roaming on Vodafone, which is gonna cost them a lot of money. Every reason for them to to terminate your contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I recently signed up to 3 and I am using my windows mobile (non 3 handset) to access their network.

Like other people here I have always thought that 3 try and stop non 3 handsets but looking at their terms and conditions they do not mention any problem with using a non 3 handset.

see
    General Terms and Conditions

and

Pre pay terms and Terms and Conditions

I think it may only be 3 UK that are strict about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Not to mention 3 don't have their own 2G network, you'd be roaming on Vodafone, which is gonna cost them a lot of money. Every reason for them to to terminate your contract.

3 switched off roaming with the Vodafone 2g network in Dublin last year.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

they are but its not available in a lot of places. they only use vodafone's coverage where they have to, i.e. you can only connect to certain masts. its the same with meteor's deal with o2 and now vodafone. a meteor phone will only pick up vodafone's coverage in rural areas. in dublin, if you have no meteor coverage you still won't connect to a vodafone mast.

i got a program that let me set 2g coverage only on my old 3 6680 (which 3 disables) and when i did i had zero coverage in dublin 15

Your handset will only pick up on 2/2.5 G network when 3g is not available.
    If you are using a 3 usim in a non 3g handset it will stay on 2/2.5g coverage where ever you are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement