Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romario scores 999th goal

• 26-03-2007 1:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

After successive hat-tricks in his previous two outings, Romario scored again at the weekend in a 3-0 win over Flamengo and it looks like he'll finally hit the 1000th on Wednesday in the Sao Januario!

One more to go.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

what a legend...58 years old and still knockin' them in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

what a legend...58 years old and still knockin' them in!

:confused:

Does it not say he's 41?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Sarcasm...or was it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

YES! the lads a legend, my fave player when i was growing up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

1000 goals ?

Posted last week on the beeb!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6472327.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Afaik the count has been ratified by FIFA. As Romario said himself on the subject
    'I never said that all those goals were scored in competitive or professional games. I'm also aware that some of the goals were scored in festive games,' the 41-year-old told reporters in Brasilia where his side play a Copa Brasil tie on Wednesday.

'But I've scored them and I can prove it,' he added.

'These numbers are not mine, I never had the time to count them myself. The counting was done by professionals. If I'd counted them myself, there would be around 3,000.'

There are some glaring inaccuracies in that BBC article. Firstly, Pele was not the first to reach 1,000 goals, Arthur Friedenrecih was. And since Pele included goals scored in non-competitive matches if you were to use the same marker when counting Gerd Mullers goals the german would have a total of 1461 goals in 1216 games detailed here. Josef Bican can better this, as he claimed to have scored over 5000 goals, but perhaps unsurprisingly this "record" has gone unconfirmed!

Also to say that Adeladie Utd or Miami FC would make Accrington Stanley look like Man United is a joke, I couldn't see the likes of Bobby Petta, Zinho or Mario Rodriguez lining out for Accrington!!

Whatever people choose to believe or not believe, el Baxinho's record in simply incredible. And had Romario chosen to spend his entire career in Brazil, like Pele did, as opposed to plying 9 years of his trade against far superior defences in Europe, we could be now be talking about him scoring far more goals than Peles 1281! Here is hoping he can bag that 1000th goal on Wednesday and retire in the blaze of glory such an illustrious career deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

:confused:

Does it not say he's 41?

Yeah yeah sarcasm! Hehe

Advertisement