Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate Cinema

Options
  • 26-03-2007 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

FYI the Gate Cinema, Cork City is closed indefinately due to smoke damge caused by a fire there on Friday night.
    This pretty much demonstrates how lucky we are to have at least one cinema left in the City (with the greatest of respect to the Kino). Lets hope the Gate isn't closed for too long!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I was there on Friday night to see a film that began at 21.30 - and ended at about 23.30. I was upstairs and was not aware of anything disruptive - smoke - nothing. What time did this all happen at? Was it early hours of the morning??? J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I heard from someone who heard from someone who may or may not work in the Gate that it'll be roughly a month before it's open again. This may or may not be total and utter speculation... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Yeah I was there too and there was no Fire.

God if it happened in the middle of 300 I would have killed some one as of the hype of the movie

Edit-It actually did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

According to the Echo, some wheelie bins were set alight out the back of the cinema under the air con system. This caused smoke damage to the air system and some of the screens. The manager is quoted as saying that it could be a month before it re-opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

This could really hurt them. If people get used to going to one of the other cinemas over the next month they might not go back when its re-opened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

ya it was like done at four in the morning or something i heard on red fm that it will be at least 2 weeks. stupid little twits who did that. but ya you never would realise its the only one in town (again respect to the kino). on a different note 300 was class

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Was really quite p*ssed off to rope a few people into ditching college on Monday to go to an early showing of 300. I can't(/don't want to) get to frikking Mahon Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

(There's always Blackpool or Douglas). I don't think people will stray from The Gate for long. I was a huge Mahon Point fan - but I get fed up with the fact that there's nowhere to go before/after - i.e. only fast food. But if you're in town, you're surrounded by bars and restaurants.

On a side - saw "Amazing Grace" at The Gate on Friday - absolutely brilliant film - what a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

deRanged wrote:
    According to the Echo, some wheelie bins were set alight out the back of the cinema under the air con system. This caused smoke damage to the air system and some of the screens. The manager is quoted as saying that it could be a month before it re-opens.

That's pretty much what I heard from my mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 lukej

Wont happen imo... For most city cinema goers, the gate is the only viable option. I would'nt be arsed gettin a bus to ballincompton or douglas to see a flick, but thats just me.
    I'll wait till it re-opens and until then live and hope that they bring back the Capitol!

It was great when we had a choice of 2 cinemas in the town centre
    instead of the added expense of getting the bus to mahon or blackpool.

I miss those days:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Apparently Midelton Gate cinema is meant to be quiet good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 chazza_2007ie

there is a note on the door of the gate sayin it wont be open till may, thats kinda a balls.... only good pictures left in town no offence to the kino lol

does anyone think that the douglas pictures has gone to the dump, i brough my 5 yr old son there last week for a change, the place just wasnt the same from when i used to myself. oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Douglas looks like a rundown abandoned building but the seats inside are grand.

Advertisement