Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse riding lessons

Options
  • 26-03-2007 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone recommend horse riding lessons for adults, pref on the north side of Dublin??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'll just move this over to the equestrian forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 FLASHDANCE

Hi,

Id reccomend a few places that i heard that was good, i cant say i have been to them but i heard they where good,
    Baskin Lane Stables in Kinsealy, Or broadmeadows in ashbourne, or Kilronan at the airport there,
    Hope this helps, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

Sorry but the person who posted that awful comment above is wrong. Ashtown is great I've been going there years. Ok, so it's not posh. If that's the problem, then fine, go somewhere else. But how could you complain about the people there? I think you need to learn how to take a joke. They probably did not want you to canter for your own, and everyone else's safety. MAybe you weren't ready?
    Just saying.. Ashtown is amazing =]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't go to Ashtown except maybe for a trek. Their schooling arena is tiny and they turn their horses out into a really small field. They just don't look very professional at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 niamh39

mel123 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend horse riding lessons for adults, pref on the north side of Dublin??
    my friend and i have just started riding in ashtown. ok... i agree it is a bit of a tip but the people there are so friendly and the horse are fab and there is a wide variety to choose from. the horses are also looked after really well. its a lovely relaxed atmosphere which is vital when you are learning to ride. i would definitely consider going and making up your own mind about ashtown. the paddocks in sandyford is an amazing stables with incredible horses but that might be a bit far away. good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

www.ecklandssportshorses.com are excellent - they teach horsemanship as well as riding :) Up in Rush direction. Ask for Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

are you a total beginnner or have you experience? i know of a few different places around here that would be good for you depending on what kind of lesson your after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

I just started last week in Rathmore, Kildare International. Really like it there.

www.kildareinternational.com

Right - constructive criticism please. Calling some **** is not constructive.

Also, please remember that you are posting in the name of boards.ie so any fallout from what you say means boards goes to court and not you. However, it is not unprecedented for a court to order a message board to pass on the details of a poster (which includes IP and other such information).

Basically, don't post something you wouldn't say to a representative of the company and keep it civil. Boards is not going to become the medium of someone with an axe to grind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭wombles

I did my BHS exams at Callaigstown Equestrian Center and I think its great

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pamurphy

Dympnas Equestrian centre out by the back of St Margarets has a very relaxed adult class on the Thur morning; just for people who want to have fun. they don't have an indoor arena though, more's the pity. You would want to go to a place that would have one, specially in our crap climate

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Callighstown have stopped public lessons as the owner is suffering from ill health, still doing livery and private lessons but no beginners

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

try Kilronan riding school in swords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Brenly

I was horse riding in Kinsealy Riding stables for years and when they closed to lessons I moved to Callaghistown which has now also closed to lessons :( I was thinking of trying either Broadmeadows or Thornton Park, has anyone tried either of these places?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

try thornton park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Shinyfluff

I have started lessons at Carrickmines with Barbara and find it very helpful. last year I had several terrifying experiences being overmounted on a friend's show stallions and this place has been very patient. Horses are nice, it seems a little disorganized though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xsapphirex

mel123 wrote: »

I think its bout 30 squid for a group lesson so its mental expensiv in this climate but its got gr8 facilities and great teachers. I did a training course there, u get the bus from town or along the way on the finglas road depending where ur living, get the 103 or 105 bus eireann bus (bout 6quid return)

If you want to work on ur grip and muscles try to book with jen, if u want a bit of jumping i guess maria or toni.

Hope u get on well, im dying to get back into it but just too broke atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 AIMEE")

broadmeddows are great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

anyone got a number for ashdown?

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Did you try searching for it on google? Or the Irish Field directory? It may be on the Irish Field website either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

I rode a lot at Dymphna's Equestrian Centre and always enjoyed it.

Dympha herself is a wonderful instructor, lessons are not expensive. Forget about the indoor arena and tough it out like the real riders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 littleluvvie

I won't hear a bad word against Ashtown equestrian centre.

They may not have acres of pasture, swanky indoor arenas or the 'tally ho' crowd (thank God) however what they do have is a love and passion for their horses. The family run business is professional with no compromise on safety. Lets face it with treks through the magnificant Pheonix Park where's the room for complaints?? Plus it's easily accessible with public transport. Probably the only equestrian centre that can make that claim.

What are you waiting for?

Thank you, I've invested in rain gear so we're going to get on with it..................................:p

Don't like Kilronan, can't really say why, just don't like it! Awful lot of money and not a lot of result. Or fun! Which to my mind should be what all sport should be about; I know you have to learn the thing, but having spoken to the people and seen the place in Ashtown, that's it for us!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

At the end of the day, your decision in choosing an equestrian centre is down to your needs and your preferences. There are a lot of different types of equestrian centres out there, which should suit most people's needs. It is always better to have a look around at different establishments. That way, when you do eventually settle on one, you are sure it will suit your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

cavedave wrote: »

Ashtown are crap - I paid about 180E for about 6 lessons for my daughter and then when that was up I paid another 180E for her to do exactly the same thing again which was trotting around with about 20 others in a tiny little ring...
    ugh!

lesson learned for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

xsapphirex wrote: »
    I think its bout 30 squid for a group lesson so its mental expensiv

Try 70 euro with my own horse for about 50 mins, private, but it is definitely worth the cash,

Also feed bills, insurance, staff costs, farrier bills and vet bills have not gone down in the current climate so the yards are still paying the same costs as they were this time last year, i think 30 quid for an hour on a horse, if you get benefit from it is worth it, and if you are getting benefit from it, say something and they might try harder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Plus it's easily accessible with public transport. Probably the only equestrian centre that can make that claim.

Wrong there!

Carrickmines can be got to with the 63 and Brennanstown can be reached by the DART then Finnegans bus service (will drop you right at the gate) or it can be reached by the 145 and then a ten minute walk. I'm sure there are others as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 seasurfer

We have no car, and are depending on the wonderful public transport facility in our country: so, would anybody know of somewhere, anywhere in and around Dublin, where you could get a DART, train, or bus that would basically leave you no further than five minutes walk away, given that our climate is so yeuchy generally.

Dart would be best naturally: Ashtown is very small, ok, but they do bring the horses into the Phoenix Park the odd time. 'Odd' being the operative word, I'm afraid.:rolleyes:

Advertisement