Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse riding lessons

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Kilronan in Cloghran is well served by Dublin Bus. The 41 definitely stops at the gate, and there might be others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 littleluvvie

OK, top tip!

I'm in the same boat as you....no car and therefore also rely on public transport. I ride at Brennanstown Equestrian Centre just outside Bray. 2 hour trek is only 50 euro. Considering Ashtown charges 50 euro for a one off 1 hour trek, it gives you an idea of the value for money of Brennanstown. Plus the place is gorgeous. The number 145 goes from O'Connell street and takes a good hour. The centre is a 5 min walk away, max.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Angelmangle

I've ridden in Kilronnan, Kinsealy, Brennanstown, Calliaghstown, Brackenstown, Broadmeadows (kept my horse there for awhile) and Thornton Park and Brennanstown. I would recommend Thornton Park and Brennanstown as they are BHS training establishments so you know the tuition is going to be of a certain standard. I did my BHS exams in Calliaghstown which was great but its on the Southside so would not suit you. So are Brennanstown (worth the trip to go trekking) they have a lot of land so they are great for trekking (they will assess you before they take you out) but for somewhere on the Northside I would go for Thornton Park the only problem being I drove to it and I don't imagine its very assessible by public transport I'm afraid. Kilronan is probably the easiest to get to but I don't know what the standard of tuition is like anymore so I can't really comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Sorry for bumping an old thread but...my brother has it in his head to go on a horseriding trip to Canada or the US rockies next September. The only thing is he has no horseriding experience at all really. So the family are thinking of getting him lessons, from reading this thread Brennanstown looks the best for him (lives in Tallaght and works in Cherrywood). Do Brennanstown do "western" lessons or does it really matter at all? Is it best to just learn European(?) and get used to Horses and then he should be okay when he goes on holiday or should he really learn the western style.

Sorry for the dumb questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 seasurfer

:DHi, many thanks for that detailed description on Brennanstown, will proba investigate that over the Christmas. Sounds like very good value, even incl bus fares etc. Thank s miln.

Re: USA, I'd imagine there would be very suitable horseriding places over there, but just to get the experience of any horseriding before he goes. Bit like swimming I'd imagine, but depending on the nature of the machine youre on! Horses are so intelligent; gorgeous creatures really. My daughter was in O'connell st there recently and unbeneownst to us, santy arrives on ahorse driven sleigh, so she runs over to get pics. ?Arrives back with two photos, of the horses, right up in their faces. Didn't even dawn to get a pic of poor santy!

Happy Holiers Folks and a Happy Horseriding 2011.:):p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

anyone ever been to Thornton Park in Swords? I went to Kilronan a couple of times and while the instructors were lovely I found going around their little ring a bit boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

i have had lessons in a few different places and have found thornton the best by a mile so far. I got the private lessons and over the course of a few months had lessons by three of the different teachers there and all were excellent. I also found their range of horses for adult lessons to be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cindyjane

does anyone know whatever happened to the pheonix riding stables at scribblestown cross castleknock?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Lauratoby

Kironan Equestrian Centre,beside airside retail park ,swords
    Fantastic facilities,horses and staff:)
    Indoor arena,outdoor and a trail ride,very friendlyand professional

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭JDPhotography

Thornton Park Equestrian Centre, Killsalaghan, Swords

Fab yard,lovely horses,good surface in indoor arena, very friendly, professional staff.

I know this because i have been there since sept 10' doing my BHSAI exams and ride every morning.

i'd highly recomend it.

www.thorntonpark.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 arbourhill

i ve been riding since child since i live in dublin i ve been to many different stables and i have to say that Thornton park is the best They have great horses well looked after and big indoor arena and two outdoor

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pamurphy

Ashtown are just beside the train station, for anyone with no car it's ideal; we get the train froj Drumcondra - and once you get the hang of it, they bring you up through the Phoenix Park - what more could you want for God's sake; lookin at the deer strollin through the early morning dewy sunshine; it's total heaven!:):p Plus they're a nice decent crowd with no aspirations to be anything other than cool!! Love the place. Great coffee house close by too -

Advertisement