Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top matches since 1990

• 26-03-2007 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

what matches can you think of, i recommend

bret hart vs british bulldog summerslam 92
    hart foundation vs demolition summerslam 90
    bret hart vs owen hart summerslam 94 and wrestlemania x
    any rock vs austin match
    chris benoit vs kurt angle royal rumble 03(i think)
    i'll prob add to these

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Here's what springs to mind:

Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle at WM 19
    Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels, Iron Man match
    Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels, WM 21
    Bret Hart vs Steve Austin, WM 13
    Edge and Rey Mysterio vs Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit, No Mercy 02
    Mankind vs Undertaker, KOTR 98
    Cactus Jack vs HHH, Royal Rumble 2000
    Chris Benoit vs William Regal, Velocity sometime in 2005 I think it was

I'm guessing I can include some non-WWE matches too. The ones that jump straight out would be:

Eddie Guerrero & Art Barr vs El Hijo Del Santo & Octagon, 2/3 falls match
    Any Kenta Kobashi vs Mitsuharu Misawa match
    Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit, Owen Hart Tribute match
    Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada vs Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa from 95. Excellent review of the match here: http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/articles/39564
    Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada from 94, another excellent review here: http://www.411mania.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?&Board=UBB4&Number=4882042
    CM Punk vs Samoa Joe II
    Kenta Kobashi vs Samoa Joe
    KENTA vs Low-Ki, ROH Final Battle 05
    Brian Pillman vs Jushin Liger 92
    AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels vs Samoa Joe, TNA Unbreakable
    Bryan Danielson vs Roderick Strong, ROH Vendetta

And of course,
    Do Fixer vs Blood Generation, ROH Supercard of Honor 06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Fozzy wrote:
    Cactus Jack vs HHH, Royal Rumble 2000

The build-up and psychology involved in that watch was unreal, seeing Mankind turn to Cactus Jack as Foley walked down the Smackdown ramp to accept HHH's challenge. Probably one of my all time favourites.

I pretended I was sick the next day so I could stay at home and watch it instead of going to school, haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hulk Hogan vs Sgt. Slaughter, Wrestlemania VII

Razor Ramon vs Shawn Michaels (Ladder Match), Wrestlemania X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    I pretended I was sick the next day so I could stay at home and watch it instead of going to school, haha

I loved the Cactus Jack v Triple H build up. I stayed up to watch it and this may sound silly/nerdy but I was on a totally dozy high the next day in school I loved the match so much.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:

Snap, my mate who crashed in mine to watch it wasn't too impressed that he was cycling on his own the next morning :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I think that period was when HHH was at the top of his game (no pun intended) in many parts due to his work with Foley. I will never get tired of watching that video where HHH married Stephanie in Vegas, mimicking her voice, pure comedy gold.

I just did a little hunting around Youtube, anyone interested in seeing the Mitsuharu Misawa vs Toshiaki Kawada match from June 3rd 1994 can watch it here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4 and Part 5. It's probably worth reading the first three paragraphs of this if you don't know anything of the history between the two guys. I'd absolutely recommend watching this match to anyone who feels that they can appreciate good wrestling, as this is one of the best I've ever seen. It was a long enough match, but one thing that struck me was that nothing in the match was done simply to waste some time and drag it out. Any "restholds" were put across as real submission attempts. And for anyone with a short attention span, you can see the highlights in a cool video here!

You can see the Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada vs Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa match from 95 here: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. It's worth reading the background to the match here

I just thought I'd stick those two matches up, seeing as they're probably hard to find for most people, and others might never have heard of them. They're also two of the best matches ever, and not just in my opinion! Well worth checking out, even if you've never considered watching Japanese wrestling before, as you'll be able to follow the story told in the matches, and you'll see how tough these guys really are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Angle & Benoit Vs Edge & Rey Mysterio from No Mercy '02 was class, but my favourite ever tag team match was Austin & Triple H Vs Benoit & Jericho, on RAW the night after Judgement Day '01 (I think), thr match in which Triple H picked up his quad injury. Class match.

I don't echo Fozzy's vote for Angle Vs Lesnar at WM19. I actually thought that was the worst of their series of matches, while still a very good match. I think Lesnar's best match was either his Hell in the Cell against the Undertaker at No Mercy '02 (the same one with the tag match mentioned above; very good PPV) or his match against Eddie at No Way Out '04.
    I certainly would give Angle's matches against both Benoit and Michaels at the Royal Rumble '03 and WM '05 respectively were some of the greatest ever. Kurt Angle and great matches really go hand in hand.

Just realised I hadn't mentioned HHH vs Shawn Michaels from Summerslam, 2002 I think, HBK's first match back. To me, that match was a lot like the Angle vs Brock WM match. We all knew that Shawn had to retire because of an injury, and nobody knew just how well he'd be able to hold up, same as when we'd all heard the rumours about Kurt's neck and we just didn't know if he could make it through that match. I was on the edge of my seat for both of them, I could nearly feel every shot both guys took in those matches, and they were both two of the most exciting matches I've seen

There were dozens of great matches back in 2002 from Eddie, Chavo, Benoit, Angle, Edge and Rey on SD. I'd love to have a collection of all of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

The build-up and psychology involved in that watch was unreal, seeing Mankind turn to Cactus Jack as Foley walked down the Smackdown ramp to accept HHH's challenge. Probably one of my all time favourites.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TXidacLVtU&mode=related&search=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

benoit vs jericho,ladder match,royal rumble '01. one of my favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

HBK vs Bulldog SNME 1992

deman wrote:

I always get goosebumps just when he takes off the mankind shirt to reveal the Cactus shirt. Watching that vid really reminds me how good Foley was on the mic (arguably the best, for psychological promo's anyway), and how poor the current crop of WWE stars are on the mic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

two things i always find amazing about some of ye guys in here---
    1) that ye remember so many matches (in detail) in the past and who was wrestling
    2) that ye can remember what event it was.

I remember matches in the past
    but....
    1) i can never remember the match in detail and i might only remember one wrestler in the match
    2)and i know for sure i have not got a f---ing clue as to what event it was.

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE IN HERE LIKE ME.
    I am damn sure, in fact, i am certain that by this time next year i will not remember 90% 0f WM23.

Anyway after my little rant this is what i remember from matches in the past ( 1990 - now) i liked.----to the best of my ability---
    1) I loved watching the mounties
    2) TLC matches i liked ( hardy's + dudleys + edge and christan)
    3) any HHH match
    4) any bret the hitman hart match
    5) any razor ra-fu--ing-mon (mang) match.

I only tend to remember the details of matches that I really enjoyed. Otherwise I'm usually lost! I wouldn't have a clue what matches were on at the Royal Rumble last year for instance, all I know is that Rey won it. The matches I listed above are ones that I've watched back aswell, so I'd remember more about them

Thinking about it now...the best moments since 1990 are----
    1) the spirit squad as general managers of raw for one day last year.
    2) edge dressed up as rick flair (road rage)
    3) shawn having to wear a may 19th ( i think ) shirt in a rob conway V kane match.
    4) vince and his evil face, edge too ( they do it so well)
    5) foley falling from the steel cage.
    6) HHH giving someone a pedigree on top of the steel cage
    7) mickie james winning the womens championship first time.
    8) Razor ramon giving his gold to the man saying " hey mang, something happen to this, something happen to you)
    9) any funny line bobby the brain said. he was so funny.
    10) all stone cold stunners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I always get goosebumps just when he takes off the mankind shirt to reveal the Cactus shirt. Watching that vid really reminds me how good Foley was on the mic (arguably the best, for psychological promo's anyway), and how poor the current crop of WWE stars are on the mic.
    O yea you're right.......
    I remember that the promo was short but in those few minutes he doesnt waste time to give us a **** promo but rather gets to the point and gives us a great promo......
    When he shouts out "his name is cactus jack",the look on triple H's face is pricless!!!

Short sweet and to the freaking point........

yeah that was good, should have been in my top 10.

fatal wrote:
    When he shouts out "his name is cactus jack",the look on triple H's face is pricless!!!

I remember Mick writing in one of his books that HHH really helped him there, because if he hadn't reacted like he did, then the fans wouldn't have bought into Cactus being such a threat to HHH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

triple h wrote:
    I remember matches in the past
    but....
    1) i can never remember the match in detail and i might only remember one wrestler in the match
    2)and i know for sure i have not got a f---ing clue as to what event it was.
    IS THERE ANYONE ELSE IN HERE LIKE ME.
    Yeah I am pretty much the same I might remeber what event it was at Wrestlemania or Backlash or Whatever but I will never remeber the year.
    My favourite match was The Hardy's V Edge and Christian V The Dudleys at Wrestlemania. If memory serves me right their was 2 of these matches and both were great. Also Jeff Hardy V Johnny Nitro in a ladder match for the IC title on Raw I thought that was an amazing match.

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    I remember Mick writing in one of his books that HHH really helped him there, because if he hadn't reacted like he did, then the fans wouldn't have bought into Cactus being such a threat to HHH

Very true. I think the run those two guys had was probably one of the best modern-day feuds ever. HHH back then was near perfect in every department and himself add Foley knew how to get the best out of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The Triple H of 2000 was unbelievable. He had string after string of great ppv matches. He's never consistently got back to that level ever in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Rey Mysterio V Eddie Guerrero WCW Halloween Havoc 97.
    The perfect blend of areal moves and mat wrestling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Undertaker vs Jeff Hardy Raw Main Event

from a few years back, think it was kinda meant to to appease Jeff Hardy before he was released, the crowd were well into the match awesome performance from both.

Advertisement