Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding fine on the M50 (60k)

Options
  • 26-03-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Just got a letter informing me i exceeded the "special" M50 60kmh speed limit.

Anyone else been done here?

How the f**k are people expected to drive under 60kmh on that stretch, it would be dangerous.

Where is Western parkway exactly?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

quarryman wrote:
    Just got a letter informing me i exceeded the "special" M50 60kmh speed limit.

Anyone else been done here?

How the f**k are people expected to drive under 60kmh on that stretch, it would be dangerous.

Where is Western parkway exactly?

There are tonnes of threads on this!!

Why give out about it!! You saw the signs saying it was a 60k zone yet you chose to ignore them and now you are giving out!!

I think the Western parkway is around the redcow junction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

from all the sign posts around the road works I thought it was quite obvious why a 60km limit exists, there are people working on the median and these peoples lives have to be taken in to consideration.

The lanes have drastically narrowed in both directions meaning that a motorway speed of 120km/h isn't safe. It is only for a few miles that the 'special' limit if applicable .. so it shouldn't be difficult or a hinderance to observe the limit for a few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

How did they catch you.Was it the white van parked at ballymount or was it a police car?How long did it take to get the letter for the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

agreed agreed re speed limits. I'm just fuming i've been done, 1000s of cars exceed it every day.

Just found the thread there on the new speed cameras, chances are I've been done by one of them over the last 2 days too, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Presumably you got 2 points also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

didn't actually think it was possible to drive as fast as 60kmh on the M50 :cool:

Gerry wrote:
    Presumably you got 2 points also?

yes.

@drdre: offence on the 4th march, letter today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

quarryman wrote:
    yes.

Then it was the Gatso van

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I got nabbed last last november by the fixed camera on the m50 near the ballymun exit (or finglas ) heading southbound. It flashed twice ,so i know i was over the speed limit
    The fine has not arrived as yet ? Do you reckon it will ? I get nervous when i check the post each day, reckon as soon as its nearly gone from my mind, M postman will have a lovely surprise for me !!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

quarryman wrote:

While I do agree that the speed limit there is frustratingly low, how could it be dangerous?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

quarryman wrote:
    yes.

Just out of curiosity, what speed were you doing at the time?

andrew1977 wrote:
    I got nabbed last last november by the fixed camera on the m50 near the ballymun exit (or finglas ) heading southbound. It flashed twice ,so i know i was over the speed limit
    The fine has not arrived as yet ? Do you reckon it will ? I get nervous when i check the post each day, reckon as soon as its nearly gone from my mind, M postman will have a lovely surprise for me !!:rolleyes:

I don't think you will get a fine as it wouldnt take that long to be posted to you.Thats nearly 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

andrew1977 wrote:

I believe they have 6 months to send it out so hang on for a while yet, having said that i believe these units will still flash you even after the film has run out....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I got one of these last week, not pissed off exactly, I was caught fair and square. However I do think they could have better things to do on a Sunday morning then catch speeders in the roadworks, when there are feck all other cars on the road and no-one working on the roadworks. It was 9am on 25th of Feb when I got done. I'd say everyone that passed by them was well over the 60km/h limit..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I use the M50 every day and I would agree that 60 is unsafe. But it is unsafe because NOBODY and I mean nobody else complies with it. If you are in the inside lane trundling along at 60 and a HGV is coming up your rear at 80 or 90 resulting in a swift move to the right, then it could result in a sudden brakelight backlog, and thats not even going into the fact that HGV's aren't suppose to be in the right lane.

copacetic wrote:
    I got one of these last week, not pissed off exactly, I was caught fair and square. However I do think they could have better things to do on a Sunday morning then catch speeders in the roadworks, when there are feck all other cars on the road and no-one working on the roadworks. It was 9am on 25th of Feb when I got done. I'd say everyone that passed by them was well over the 60km/h limit..

How did you get done.was it a guard sitting in his car/jeep with a gun.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

drdre wrote:
    How did you get done.was it a guard sitting in his car/jeep with a gun.

no, i guess it was a van, I just got the numberplate pic in the post last week. don't remember seeing one at the time, but of course if I had I would have slowed down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

because when you are doing the advised limit, loads of people like Quarryman are trying to get past you?
    Stark wrote:
    While I do agree that the speed limit there is frustratingly low, how could it be dangerous?

stovelid wrote:
    because when you are doing the advised limit, loads of people like Quarryman are trying to get past you?

not any more! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

AFAIK, the Gatso van camera can only be projected at one lane. It'd be an interesting logistical challenge to photograph offenders in the fast lane considering the obstacle presented by the existence of the barriers (assuming the van itself was on the inside of the works). It seems more likely that they were actually aiming for people in the slow lane, which would be an interesting move to say the least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

quarryman wrote:
    not any more! :)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

andrew1977 wrote:

Not a chance, 3 months is the absolute max. 6 weeks or less is all it usually takes. Could be struck out for the delay anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

By the way, I have some little bit of knowledge here, have a close friend in the Traffic Corps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

maoleary wrote:
    Not a chance, 3 months is the absolute max. 6 weeks or less is all it usually takes. Could be struck out for the delay anyway.

cheers for the reply and giving me some reassurance, i was beginning to think the same myself that it wouldnt arrive but you know govt departments processing anything, it could be liable to arrive anytime

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

andrew1977 wrote:
    cheers for the reply and giving me some reassurance, i was beginning to think the same myself that it wouldnt arrive but you know govt departments processing anything, it could be liable to arrive anytime

Not to mention our wonderfully fast (NOT) postal service!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The post in Dublin seems really good to me. I typically get stuff the working day after it's sent out.

I remember the postal service in Cork being dodgy though.

Advertisement