Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Summers here...

Options
  • 26-03-2007 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the reason people slag off folk with convertibles ?
    Jealousy ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

RobAMerc wrote:
    Jealousy ?

because most of them drive hairdressers cars?

206CC's and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye, a guy on baggot st in a 360 spider last year... some school kids shout from an open top bus... "hey mr, state of your car"

he looks up and says, "ye... state of your bus" and drove off! Classic...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

RobAMerc wrote:
    Jealousy ?

any time I have rented a drop top while on holidays my slightly baldy patch on my head turned into a red beacon for landing aircraft !!! pasty irish folk should not drive drop tops in the sun !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

whippet wrote:
    any time I have rented a drop top while on holidays my slightly baldy patch on my head turned into a red beacon for landing aircraft !!! pasty irish folk should not drive drop tops in the sun !!!!

Part of the reason owning one here in Ireland is so nice - you can't use them if its too hot you know

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i'd love a convertable - insurance on them is too much though - FBD quoting €1800 fully comp when i can get the same litre engine on a 'normal' car for about €600 less.

If i could get a quote closer to €1500 (splitting the difference) i would seriously consider a 2nd hand MX-5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Being exposed to the elements, and getting slagged in a convertible will result in thick skin. Roll with the punches dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Not to mention the fact that it becomes a magnet for scumbags, who will just have to poke/stab something through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

RobAMerc wrote:
    Part of the reason owning one here in Ireland is so nice - you can't use them if its too hot you know

Exactly - people seem to think it needs to be blazing hot to drop the roof, whereas the standard muggy summer day we get is probably ideal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I used my car with the top down as often as possible and always recieved good sentiments, never any bitterness !

DSCF0009.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

ive a boxster 900 euro insureance and im 28 and this is my first year on my own policy (xs direct) nothing beats the roof down ,a flat 6 behind u and the open road ahead!!!

• Advertisement

roughan wrote:
    ive a boxster 900 euro insureance and im 28 and this is my first year on my own policy (xs direct) nothing beats the roof down ,a flat 6 behind u and the open road ahead!!!
    i hate you so very much.

:(;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

MercMad wrote:
    I used my car with the top down as often as possible and always recieved good sentiments, never any bitterness !

DSCF0009.jpg

Beautiful car. Have been toying with the idea of getting a 280SL as a second car.

Convertables are definitely more suited to our climate. I too have hired one on holiers and got the head fried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Tauren wrote:
    i hate you so very much.

:(;)

It's alright, he'll have to pay the fist 4000 of any claim.

You could go that way too, but your NCB means nothing, and when you change company, you will have no NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

i drove a 1969 merc 280 sl a few weeks ago amazing car!!
    there is a great review on youtube about them with clarkson ,,kate moss has one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

roughan wrote:
    i drove a 1969 merc 280 sl a few weeks ago amazing car!!
    there is a great review on youtube about them with clarkson ,,kate moss has one

Must check that out. Would have to be an early 80's model....its a Bobby Ewing thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

I dont own, nor have i ever, a drop-top. Wouldnt rule one out, but my choice would veer away from the A4/BM 3series/Saab and more towards say a TR, MG, MX-5 or something of a classic .
    What i dont get is people with convertibles who DONT go topless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

testicle wrote:
    and when you change company, you will have no NCB.

Not true.

But I wouldn't insure a Porsche with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Hairdressers/girls car....well I shave my head owing to my balding locks which rules out any hair connations and I'm not a girl so ;)

It annoyed me slightly when I had the roof down on a glorious Saturday morning a couple of weeks ago, down the coast road from Malahide to Howth and the amount of people in (usually in 3 series or A4 cabs) with the hoods up? It was genuinely sunny, nice and still, I mean, why bother??? :confused:
    Bang on - I was in Texas last summer in a Mustang and the roof had to go up and the air-con on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Just took the hard top off mine yesterday, which is the earliest I've ever done that.

There is nothing better than zipping around with the top down after a long, dark winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

roughan wrote:
    nothing beats the roof down ,a flat 6 behind u and the open road ahead!!!

Well I have a straight 6 in front of me, but I reckon I will always be in a gear lower than I should be to hear her singing.
    petrol consumption might suffer a bit !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

To be honest its far nicer to go roof down on a cool day. I have the hard top for that SL but in 6+ year I have only used it for a total of 3 months !

I have often driven in snowy/frosty weather and wrapped up well and dropped the top, its exilerating ..........and of course you get to hear the exhaust burble clearly !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I love driving with the top down at this time of the year. It's a great cure for a hangover!
    Driving at night is also a great experience, but you REALLY draw the unwanted attention when you do this, especially around town. Normally during the day I don't get any hassle or nasty jibes, mostly the "cool car", 2gis a spin", "wanna swap", etc.
    The convertible is actually not that great on a really hot day, you get burned alive.
    I agree it's a really great way to hear the engine at work.
    Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

because most of them drive hairdressers cars?

206CC's and the like

LOL aye, too true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MercMad wrote:
    DSCF0009.jpg

Stop making me drool again :)
    Gatster wrote:
    I was in Texas last summer in a Mustang and the roof had to go up and the air-con on...

Must have been damn hot over there :D

Aircon on full (noisy!) with roof down in another crap US convertible was just about ok for me in Florida in about 35C

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I love driving with the top down at this time of the year. It's a great cure for a hangover!

Happy days:)

Might as be the one to tell you not to be driving hungover ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Must have been damn hot over there
    From memory it was about 110F (40C-ish?). You could only sit by the pool for 30 mins max without jumping in :D From what I gathered, if it get's that hot and you have a convertible, most people seemed to use their motorbikes if they have one :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On a different Summer note, yesterday saw the start of the kids playing football outside. My drive is opposite a green area and coincidentally opposite their chosen goal spot.
    Twice the ball landed on my bonnet. Next time I have to go out it will be with a sharp knife and I'll shred the ball.

that is something i have noticed less and less over theyears. i remember when i was younger, up to the age of 15 or so, i'd be on the green in my estate playing football most days. Over the summer it would be almost constant. Now when i am going past the green it is empty most of the time, or has some 6/7 year olds have a 3 on 3 everyone chase the ball game of football. Kids these days..... i blame the internet :D

Advertisement