Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do single mom's get?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

What do single mom's get? Added to that a single mom who is 18 and is an orphan herself?

She is taking a year out of college at the moment to look after her little bundle of joy, but is worried about her future. She is deferring a course in Commerce...

She among others have inherited the family home and she is currently living there with her sister but she may be moving out with her boyfriend in the not so distant future - not abandoning her sister or anything as she isn't moving far.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Define get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Eire007

Sorry Thaedydal, I suppose it is a bit ambigious. What are single mothers entitled to. At the moment things are ok as she is living off inheritance but I think she has recently lost her orphans fund allowance. I understand that single parents get some money from the government, but would this particular girl be entitled to anything else? Unfortunately a lot of their inheritance went towards paying off the mortgage as there were legal issues with the mortgage protection policy. Her deceased mother had a relapse of cancer but had been given the all clear when she took out a mortgage protection. so she payed mortgage protection, but the provider noted that cancer was cause of death and did not pay the protection and gave the payed installments back. It was unfortunate (I digress a bit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

You might find some info here.

www.comhairle.ie

www.welfare.ie

Her inheritance may be classed as an income/savings, but she may still be entitled to a reduced One-Parent payment.

She is automatically entitled to Childrens allowance - 150 per month, and childcare allowance 1000 per annum paid 250 every 3 months until the child is 6, regardless of marital status.

Thanks Trinity1, I will ensure she is getting her entitlements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

She would be entitled to the lone parents allowance. As she is over 18 I dont see the relevance of the fact that she is an orphan?

The allowance is means tested.

If she was paying rent she would be able to get a rent allowance. The "relieving" officer at the local health centre used to be the person to talk to about extra help.

She may be able to get assistance with the purchase of essential items such as pram and cot. Again check with the relieveing officers. Or ask someone from the "disadvantaged" areas as they will know exactly what you can "Get"...and then some.

• Advertisement

I fear I've come across as a fraudster with my what do single mom's "get" remark. Not that it matters as I'm using my 'other' account, but it still plays on my mind a bit.
    I assure you I have nothing to do with the girl, I feel like I should help her and I feel that she needs an aweful lot of help, so I'm trying to get the most for her. I am currently trying to help her get a job.

She needs to go see the welfare officer in her local clinc, she would need to make an appointment with him to see what her entitlements are.

She will be entitled toChild Benefit as is every mother in the state who has primary custody.

As she is not currently cohabiting she can look into claiming One-Parent Family Payment and also if the family income is below a certain ammount she may be able to apply for Family Income Supplement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Single mammies get the lone parents' allowance, or if they have PRSI payments, lone parents' benefit.

If she's got a place to live, her most pressing problem is solved, which is at least one small piece of good news.

The main thing she needs now is to get a basic living for herself and the child, and get herself trained for work that will earn a better living later on. 18 is a tough age to be approaching all this, especially with no mother to help her.

Probably her best dart is to try to get third-level education, while balancing this with her responsibilities to her child, and obtain a qualification for work that will support them both better.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

A hell of a lot more than single fathers is what you get

• Advertisement

Lone parents allowance,fis asnd child benefit are payible to a single father if he has the primary custody of his child/children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

wexford12 wrote:
    A hell of a lot more than single fathers is what you get

It's called One-Parent family payment. Not single mother's payment. Single Fathers are entitled to the same as a single mother

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is she also looking after her sister? Is the sister under 18?

Did she claim a Bereavement Grant?

http://www.welfare.ie/foi/swi_widorph.html#3
    Orphan's Contributory Allowance

QUALIFYING CONDITIONS - SUMMARY
    The person in respect of whom the allowance is claimed must:
    - be an orphan
    - be under 18 years of age, or under 22 if in full-time education.
    The "relieving" officer at the local health centre used to be the person to talk to about extra help.
    The title is "community welfare officer".

unfortunately her sister with the child is 18.
    I think the Bereavement Grant looked after the funeral payments.
    currently she has also a 13 year old brother, but the father is taking them to court.
    unfortunately the boy now stays with the father and then comes home/is dumped home on weekends and holidays. He seems to like this arrangement tho. But the "father" is taking them to court for custody of the boy and now he doesn't recieve the orpahans allowance. (Its complicated)

also full time education... it may be an issue... looking into to it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Victor.... in my day we called them relieving officers, I sit corrected then. It has been 16 years since I had to use their services. Sure a lot of things have changed names since. hense me putting my original post in "'s in the first place.

Advertisement