Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

almost passed out by 0.001%

Options
  • 26-03-2007 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭

Did the NCT on friday Passed for every thing except the big one Emmisions

High idle Pass is between 0.97 and 1.03% mine was 1.031%, Didn't do a damn thing to car before it , I was expecting it to fail for more.
    So now here's the question, Should I get a new cat for it and Lambda sensor or Just the new sensor.And any idea of the price range

Not bad for a car that has done 205,000km and been driven by me . Its an Integra 1.6 Dual Carb 1994. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Bottle of engine cleaner might do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Thanks for the reply Leon but nah don't think so ...always use that stuff ( red eye) and did the whole drive her till IT is red hot going in . That really is a good as it was going to get. Cant believe it passed everything else , I was taking it to fail so I would have a list of repairs , but to my surprise things werent all that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yes, you need a new cat and lambda sensor.

Seriously though, the likely cause of the high lambda is a slight blow from your exhaust. A bit of exhaust putty might do the trick. Before your retest I would advise you to get a decent independent garage to check the exhaust for leaks and do an emissions check

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

Cheers BrianD3,

Where the best place to bet pricing .... I will be getting them thru a garage just don't want to get burned on price ...again.,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Just to be clear I was joking about needing a new cat and lambda sensor. If the rest of your emissions were OK both of these are probably fine.

If you had a badly blown exhaust you would have failed by a greater margin and IME if the NCT tester can hear an obvious blow from the exhaust he won't even bother doing the emissions test. So this makes me think that you have a slight leak somewhere that can probably be fixed easily, maybe without buying any parts.

Just make sure that the garage that works on the car can do exhaust gas analysis so they can check their work. Some small places may not have this equipment. An independent garage may charge around 30-60 euros extra to do the gas analysis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Revving the stones out the engine before an NCT is known to cure an awful lot of stuff, including holes in the exhaust:D

On a more serious note, you have a small hole somewhere -- check seams and joints. Any good exhaust place should be able to sort it out with a spot weld, or by welding on a sleeve if corrosion is bad, for a few quid.

Advertisement