Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steve Reich

Options
  • 26-03-2007 4:05pm

im a big fan of steve reichs music for 18 musicians

do any of you know if he has any similar pieces?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Freaky, I was listening to that piece only an hour ago...

I reckon you might like Drumming, Six Marimbas, Music for Mallet Instruments Voices and Organ, and Electric Counterpoint. They all have similar instrumentation and/or structures. Electric Counterpoint is especially nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Haven't heard Music for 18, but I have Six Marimbas mentioned above and I approve of it wholeheartedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

"You Are" Variations.

Actually, I strongly recommend anyone who likes Steve Reich pick up the collection 'Phases', which covers music from all of his career over a five-disc set, and is available for €30 in Tower Records.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Saw that recently. But buying Varèse seemed more important at the time!

"You Are" Variations.

Actually, I strongly recommend anyone who likes Steve Reich pick up the collection 'Phases', which covers music from all of his career over a five-disc set, and is available for €30 in Tower Records.

no way is it 30euro for a five disc set :eek: :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

no way is it 30euro for a five disc set :eek: :)

Yes, and a bloody excellent one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I've played Steve Reich's 8 lines. Horrible piece if you ask me, but I think it's much of a marmite thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

cornbb wrote:
    Freaky, I was listening to that piece only an hour ago...

I reckon you might like Drumming, Six Marimbas, Music for Mallet Instruments Voices and Organ, and Electric Counterpoint. They all have similar instrumentation and/or structures. Electric Counterpoint is especially nice...
    Yeah I got four organs, very disturbing but hypnotic in a way. Don't know if I liked it or not tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

He's a cowboy artist. Completely unoriginal and fooling the classical establishment. Film composer Laurie Johnson was writing similar stuff in the late '60s to Reich's later work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I got that Phases box for €19.99 in Tower at the end of June.

My favourite of his work is City Life, which is a glaring omission from the Phases box I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

Nolanger wrote: »
    He's a cowboy artist. Completely unoriginal and fooling the classical establishment. Film composer Laurie Johnson was writing similar stuff in the late '60s to Reich's later work.

oooh!!! fight!

.......no? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I thought so too.... :(

Definitely harsh calling him completely unoriginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Nolanger wrote: »

You sure you're not thinking of Philip Glass? :p

OP, I'll throw in recommendations for Cello Counterpoint and Nagoya Marimbas, in addition to those already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Him as well but Johnson scored films with a flute repeating the same notes and wind instruments building in tone just like Reich did later. Guess when Glass and Reich are dead it will more acceptable to criticise them :D

Advertisement