Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H Dip Offers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Anyone else waiting for offers? >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Rosita

Just rang them now and they say it will be after 12 o'clock when the offers are up. You'd have thought that they'd have made the effort to have them up first thing if only to avoid an avalanche of calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Rosita

Offers are up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

edeldonlon wrote: »
    I got offered maynooth. does anybody know when it usually starts??

Dip in Maynooth usually starts in late September with an induction week, followed by an observation week in school, and then you start probably with TP and lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 a.auhl

i got offered TCD on mon 30th/03..and the NUI offers are out today because i also got maynooth today...however im going to go with TCD..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Got Maynooth. Shocked tbh. Wasn't expecting it cause I was only hitting a 60% average in my BA. I guess they counted my B.Phil as a full second postgrad degree or something though, despite the fact It took me a month :P

Well, I guess I'll be seeing some of you there then <_<

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Hi all

Has anybody sent their work experience yet? If so, how detailed have you been? Weekly, monthly or just one total of hours worked up to December 2008?

Also, has anybody an idea on cost of the UCD dip? 6 - 7k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sine86

Hey! congrats to all who got hdip/pgde! i got my offer, 1st choice in cork- delighted! :D but startin to worry about getting a school to do the placement in! has anyone sorted out a school yet?! Maybe I'm premature in my worrying but iv sent out cvs&cover letters & emails to a few schools & heard nothing back yet- has anyone got any tips or advice?!

Although I think the schools are on their easter break at the moment....i wonder are the principals in the schools at the moment?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sine86 wrote: »
    Although I think the schools are on their easter break at the moment....i wonder are the principals in the schools at the moment?!

Some will be.
    I know ours and many of our teachers will be in next week.

Hehe, my Dad had a principal in his taxi last night who said if I wanted a place in his school, he'd be glad to take me. He said that apparently schools will want loads of H.Dip students this year since they are free teachers in a time when their budgets are being cut back....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

Hehe, my Dad had a principal in his taxi last night who said if I wanted a place in his school, he'd be glad to take me. He said that apparently schools will want loads of H.Dip students this year since they are free teachers in a time when their budgets are being cut back....

Not really because you are only taking the same assigned classes each day you are teaching. If you were subbing any other classes outside this you must be paid for that-granted it would be cheaper at the unqualified rate I suppose. Also the teacher you are covering classes for while doing dip should not be asked to take on subbing in the school with other classes while you teach their class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

My degree is in Geography and Art History with Archaeology in first year. I also have a Masters in Geography.

Prior to my degree I completed first year science ( subjects included biology, maths, geology and physics)

I have been offered the HDip in Maynooth for this september. At present I am looking for a teaching practice school. I am worried in that i wont be able to teach a second subject.

I can do CSPE but the teaching council said you have to have done sociology as part of your degree.

I am unsure. Can I teach Art/Art History or Science to Junior Cert Level?
    I am waiting word back from Maynooth in regards to this but if you would have any comments I would be greatful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭anoisaris

01mirelly wrote: »
    My degree is in Geography and Art History with Archaeology in first year. I also have a Masters in Geography.

Prior to my degree I completed first year science ( subjects included biology, maths, geology and physics)

I have been offered the HDip in Maynooth for this september. At present I am looking for a teaching practice school. I am worried in that i wont be able to teach a second subject.

I can do CSPE but the teaching council said you have to have done sociology as part of your degree.

I am unsure. Can I teach Art/Art History or Science to Junior Cert Level?
    I am waiting word back from Maynooth in regards to this but if you would have any comments I would be greatful :)

Sounds like your only recognised teaching subject will be geography to be honest. Every teaching subject must make up a third of your degree. Art history is not offered as a discrete subject therefore a qualified art teacher would be required. You must be qualified to teach your subject to leaving cert level to be recognised as a teacher of that subject by the teaching council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

you could teach history also for your teaching practice, you wont have it recognised from the teaching council but you can do the module for TP.

you need to have sociology to teach cspe but you will often get a class of it for TP as most established teachers dont want to teach it because it isnt in their subject area.

if you're unsure of your next step, why not make an appointment with a lecturer/tutor in maynooth to talk it over. they are very nice and helpful in there.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

thanks nead21

Ya i have been in contact with nuim they have to get back to me but hopefully all will be clearer by tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I posted this opinion the other day and my post got deleted with no notice! :eek:
    anoisaris wrote: »
    Not really because you are only taking the same assigned classes each day you are teaching. If you were subbing any other classes outside this you must be paid for that-granted it would be cheaper at the unqualified rate I suppose. Also the teacher you are covering classes for while doing dip should not be asked to take on subbing in the school with other classes while you teach their class.
    That teacher wouldn't be covering other classes, but would be catching up on the paperwork and correcting etc and while they wouldn't be actually taking on other classes, they would be available for unexpected duties.

Well, I've got my place in the Loretto in Balbriggan. Was talking to the Vice and he told me the same thing again; that due to cutbacks, they are taking on as many H.Dip students as they can. So far, there's 4 of us going in to them next September and he said he expects more to apply as well.

Having a slight problem though. Basically, my BA was English and Philosophy, which means my qualification is only in English. The Maynooth system wants me to teach 6 classes in subjects I'm qualified in, meaning I'm asking to take 6 English classes over those two days. The schools I've been in to have warned me that they don't even have their timetables for next year done up yet, and that they have no way of knowing how many classes of English 1st years will have on those days (No one wanted to give me higher than 1st years; is that common?). I've been offered a place but with no promise I'll hit the 6 classes of English? :/

Advice?

Also, out of interest, how many classes do the others like UCD and Trinity expect people to take, and over how many days?

Advertisement