Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are we really that bad?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭

Hi to all,

As we can see from looking at road safety sites, the number of irish cars has increased significantly in the last number of years. It is estimated to have increased by around 50% (min) but the deaths are still stable at 400-450 average per annum. Does this suggest to you that we as a driving nation have significantly improved our skills on the road and that the deaths per vehicle rate reflects this?

If this is true, doesn't it show how greedy and mean spirited the government are in attacking average taxpayers with speed cameras in "fish in a barrel" zones like the 60 kph roadworks on the M50 and the more sneaky hiddden cameras around the rest of the best roads? Remember, the RSA says that 70% of accidents happen on backroads, with motorways accounting for less than 1 % of accidents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

maoleary wrote:
    As we can see from looking at road safety sites, the number of irish cars has increased significantly in the last number of years. It is estimated to have increased by around 50% (min) but the deaths are still stable at 400-450 average per annum. Does this suggest to you that we as a driving nation have significantly improved our skills on the road and that the deaths per vehicle rate reflects this?

Well for a start its significantly harder to kill yourself in a modern car than a 10 or 20 year old one, so that straight away will keep a fair few alive that would have died in the same crash years ago.

Drink driving not being acceptable anymore and more policing of drivers will bring numbers down a fair bit.

If there was the same number of cortina's , capris etc belting around 20-30 years ago as cars on the roads today, the death toll eah year would have been far higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Stekelly, thats a good point. Maybe the accident rate is still high? I'll look it up again when I get some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There are other factors different from 10-20 years ago. There was a time when Irish people rarely used seatbelts and coming up to a checkpoint you'd see people furiously trying to belt up. People's attitude has definitly improved here.

I don't know about childseats but all/most parents have them these days. I'm not sure were they always around so can't comment on that.

Of course, you could say these have been negated by mobile phones but you've a good point OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

More cars on the road would = less accidents in my opinion anyway. Its a lot harder to speed when theres cars in front of you. Nobody is gonna get killed while stuck on the M50/M1/etc at 8am surrounded by 1000's of cars in front and behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

More cars on the road would = less accidents in my opinion anyway. Its a lot harder to speed when theres cars in front of you. Nobody is gonna get killed while stuck on the M50/M1/etc at 8am surrounded by 1000's of cars in front and behind.

Its not just the number of cars that has increased but also the actual distance each car travels. so one would negate the other to a large extent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement