Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dampness/sell buy date on Rounds ?

Options
  • 26-03-2007 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

The last time I bought some .17HMR rounds the V-max ones
    with the Bright Red polymer tips I noticed that some of the tips
    were not bright red and a kinda dull brown/blackish colour.

Also on a few rounds I noticed tiny tiny imperfections on the brass
    like the odd speck here and there as if it might have got dampness
    (Like the way copper goes green)

it made me wonder if that was simply down to just the things being mass produced or would it be dampness.
    Are there other signs to look out for? The brass its self still looks
    quite bright and has not dulled.

I dont want be be telling the local dealer his rounds are old/damp and no good until I know for certain.

~B

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The polymer shouldnt discolour so there probaly a differnt batch to the others and probably older. Dampness shouldnt be a problem unless the rounds look obvoiulsy and heavily corroded. I was given some .22lr stuff that had been sitting in a plastic bag in a safe for about 10 years, anything in boxes was actually ok but the lost stuff was noticibly corroded. Gave it over to lads in Army EOD to get rid of. Basicly you will know if its beyond it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

the discolour on the vmax tips are down to the plastic pellet is coming to the end of its batch when its passing through the injection moulding machine,when it gets low it reduces in pressure of it being produced out so the tip is in the mould for a little longer than normal hence the off red to brown effect (like burning your toast)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

.243 may well be right but the discolouring you talking about i get as well and it lead dust or something like that just wipe it off with your fingers. The couple of boxes from the batch ive had have all benn dirty and my hands are normally covered in the dust afterwards.

As for the other imperfects some of it may be down to the way it is stored if theres nothing serious then i wouldnt worry about it.

If its bothering you buy a brick of ammo and store it in your house where its warm.

Sometime, with the cheaper .22lr ammo, you get that greenish/brown tint on some of the cases. Not sure what caused it but didn't notice any effect on the shot. Don't think it was dampness though as it only effect a couple of the rounds..

Advertisement