Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Design Portfolio

Options
  • 26-03-2007 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hey,

Really don't know if this is the correct forum or not, mods feel free to move, but im looking for some help. Im a graphic designer and i need to put together a portfolio of my work but I have no idea where to start, Ive never needed to do one before as i just went from job to job.

If anybody had any advice or tips I would be really greatful because I have no idea what one should even look like or how it should be presented.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

I'm 8 years doing graphic design. I don't have a portfolio. All I really ever did was bring along printed samples of what I did in the past. I have never been turned down a position. However, in graphic design school we were shown how to put a portfolio together.

It consists of the first half been the hand drawn elements of your design. Thumbnails, to real size pencil renditions of your work. Then show them the final printed, or designed one from the computer and they'll see how accurate you were with your vision and the finished product.

Secondly take all the work you have done from separate packages that you use, i.e., InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop etc. and show them the individual elements, stages and finished designed product.

Best to keep it small, show them a wide range of skills, knowledge and theory. Take a page or three to show them individiual masterpieces of how you can manipulate things and make them work.

Don't have your portfolio too long and don't show them 5 things all the same. Show a variety. And smile when you are asked and answering questions.

Good luck with the portfolio.

Advertisement