Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry vs. Ian

Options
  • 26-03-2007 7:01pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

Ok so I heard in the news today they are meeting to discuss the collaboration of power sharng in Northern Ireland, I dont see a thread started yet...
    is this not a big deal?

what do you think this will lead to?

Did you think this day would come?

I'm thinking it's just the beginning...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It is a momentous occasion. I'd say the tension in that room was palpable to say the least. The face on Robinson in some of the photos would betray that and also the posture of Paisley.

Both sides have had to compromise so much to get to that point. They have shown tremendous leadership in bringing all but a small minority along with them. Occasions like today should not be taken lightly. Paisley knows the fine line he is walking with his supporters and Adams is aware of the same on his side.

I never thought this day would come. I am delighted that it has happened in Ian Paisley's lifetime. I thought we would have to wait for the next generation i.e. Paisley Jr for this. I am glad for the man that he has achieved this in his lifetime.

I'm also glad for Adams and McGuinness that their concessions have been recognised. It's a pity people in the Republic have become so apathetic about Northern Politics. It's a complicated set of issues that are going to take a long time to resolve. Days like today are a huge leap forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ballooba wrote:
    I am glad for the man that he has achieved this in his lifetime.

True he has come a long way , but look to the start of the troubles 35 years ago and see whose face is still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

is this not a big deal?
    -I think it is, yep. Paisley seems to be conceding that finally SF are ready for democracy.

what do you think this will lead to?
    -Northern Ireland moving on. With alot of help from both governments, we should hopefully see NI developing into a vibrant and positive society within the next decade or two (not that it's a horrid place at the moment!). Surely once the Assembly is up and running properly, the Rev will pass the torch on and step down as leader. I'd also like to see Gerry Adams do the same (although I'm sure he's got some years left in him). Get those 2 relics out of politics, and let the next generation take over, to ensure the North moves on. Once there's a functioning government up there, of course.

Did you think this day would come?
    -Not really, no. I've had a rather bleak view of Northern politics for the past few years, as have most people. I certainly did not expect it to happen in the lifetime of Ian Paisley. Not to be cynical, but I'm sure there was an element of wanting to end his career on a positive note to it. Gotta think about the legacy.

I'm thinking it's just the beginning...
    -Me too :) I hope that a new SF and a new DUP can emerge, whom can take Northern Ireland into the 21st century! God that sounds very sappy :D

DaveMcG wrote:
    I hope that a new SF and a new DUP can emerge
    I thought that said 'merge'! :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I myself was happy to hear the news, I was having a difficult time ripping myself away from the radio to go into work.

Im going to try and look up some news articles on it after work and see any updates here ;)

It is the first time that Gerry and Ian have worked together, Id say they have indeed come a very long way. I am wondering what happened in the background to make this finally come together?

Nonetheless, It is all very exciting :)

• Advertisement

BEAT wrote:
    It is the first time that Gerry and Ian have worked together, Id say they have indeed come a very long way. I am wondering what happened in the background to make this finally come together?
    I believe it is the first time they have ever spoken to each other.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

ballooba wrote:
    I believe it is the first time they have ever spoken to each other.

yes, that too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's one of the most positive days in a long time. Very good to see. It proves what is achievable if we try. Now they can get on and sort out the Water Charges. :rolleyes:

Ian Paisley. Ariel Sharon. Have more in common than you'd think.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

is_that_so wrote:
    It's one of the most positive days in a long time.

It is "one" of them. But it's hard to get excited about these positive days when there are usually several months in between them, during which time a lot of the good done is eroded. I still remember (naively) thinking that the good friday agreement meant instant peace.

As I'm quite cynical, I think that they had to meet because they have a good thing going, and if the troubles were sorted out overnight, both of them would be out of jobs.

• Advertisement

As I'm quite cynical, I think that they had to meet because they have a good thing going, and if the troubles were sorted out overnight, both of them would be out of jobs.
    That is quite cynical. I'm afraid you don't sort out a generation who have grown up on a diet of hatred for each other instantly.

The two leaders represent their communities. Either community would very quickly find a new leader if they felt disenfranchised. RSF and others felt they had this support in the lead up to the elections. They were proved wrong. The republicans I speak to from South Armagh understand what Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein are trying to do and want to give it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

it can only be a good thing. things have moved a lot further in the past 20 years than personally i would have thought possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Ian Paisley. Ariel Sharon. Have more in common than you'd think.

Explain

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

BEAT wrote:
    I myself was happy to hear the news, I was having a difficult time ripping myself away from the radio to go into work.

Im going to try and look up some news articles on it after work and see any updates here ;)

Nonetheless, It is all very exciting :)
    Agree they have come along way, but the task is much harder for Paisley's side as they have to recognise the concept of equality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

mickd wrote:
    Agree they have come along way, but the task is much harder for Paisley's side as they have to recognise the concept of equality.
    seems like a big task for most people on the planet let alone two opposing politicial representatives.
    I think in the 90's people understood and wholey supported this concept and there was a great deal more enthusiasm but as our generation has grown it feels like people have become just that little more self involved and a genuine desire for peaceful resolution is not so much a priority as it once was. Hence the silence and sort of apathy. (imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Have to say I find the title of the thread quite funny, even when they are working together people see these two men as opposites or enemies. [/structuralist chuckle]

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm sorry, but i cant not be the only person who read the title as "gerry v iran, and thought " this time he's bitten of more then he can chew...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They aren't opposites exactly at all, just different but more in common with each other than with Dublin or London.

Most of the Loyalists / Unionists have no more love of London than Gerry's lot.

There is really no parallel with Israel or Israeli politics or the Middle East, except that of violence. Anyone who thinks there is knows very little about either situation.

Advertisement