Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Irish space Programme

Options
  • 26-03-2007 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

I was pondering to my self,When will Ireland have it's first space Program,Then I thought to my self would the first be a Commercial flight or a Scientific.

If I ever get into government Id set one up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

and the cost would be so horendous tax would be raised to 80% to pay for it.

way to go. now were all broke.

on a lighter note, is ireland not part of the eurpoean space program?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

and the cost would be so horendous tax would be raised to 80% to pay for it.

way to go. now were all broke.

on a lighter note, is ireland not part of the eurpoean space program?

Yes Ireland is a member of the ESA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ireland is a member of ESA, but I'm guessing that their contributions are on the low side. ESA works on the basis that the amount of work a member state gets out of the deal is in proportion to how much they put in, so I don't think Irish firms get much (direct) work out of it.

There are ways around that involving consortia and the like. I worked at ESOC for a while in the 80's and worked with quite a few Irish people, it's just that they were almost all contractors working for whichever companies were getting the work at the time.

Back then Spain was flavour of the month, so all of a sudden all kinds of Spanish companies appeared at ESOC, except the people they were employing were the same ones that were working for, say, a British company months previously when Maggie slashed the UK's ESA contribution. Those were the days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Yep we're a member of ESA but some countries who are also members have their own national space program. And yeah nows probably not a good time what with the health thing

Advertisement