Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Expansion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I dunno. I just don't have much fun with ISP's out there, and I've used a lot of them. Really considering dumping Chorus for Digiweb but if there is a hint of a new product / technology on the horizon, I might just hold off. I always like to check out new technology stuff. Geeky me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Actually just to throw this onto the end of my last post, if there are trials going on, I'd be willing to trial it for ye. Not looking for a freebee, just something new to try after floutering through many ISP's :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

East Cork, East Cork!!!

adam /jumps up and down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

dahamsta wrote:
    East Cork, East Cork!!!
    Well if they are rolling it out to civilization first and then to the backwaters it will take a while before it gets to Cork :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Careful now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

crawler wrote:
    The plan is a national rollout covering as close to, if not 100% of population.

Will you be waiting for the tender of the National Broadband Scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

clohamon wrote:
    Will you be waiting for the tender of the National Broadband Scheme?
    This is the most interesting post of the whole lot! No offence to the rest of ye:p

Digiweb already have a fairly comprehensive mast system, though with limited spectrum, it will require ingenuity of the highest order to use large radio sites, whose mobile uses had comparatively minor spectrum issues.

Interesting times lie ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I have an interesting question. ;)

You advertise this as a mobile data and phone service. Are you going to be offering handsets? I understand that currently, device availability is very limited, but this will probably change in the future. Even once it does, though, it will still be very limited compared to GSM/UMTS, so there will definitely be no "sexy Nokia's" available!

You also won't be able to get mobile numbers allocated to you, because Vodafone would not be very happy about that. Or perhaps I'm being cynical.

Anyway, do you plan to offer voice handsets with landline numbers? They obviously won't completely replace mobile phones, but it could be a very lucrative service even so, and increase your ARPU, as I'd imagine many customers would get both the "modem" as well as switching their phone service from Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Is there any particular reason why this service will be any better than the usual wireless broadband gunk being offered right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

crawler wrote:
    Yer some man JWT - See PM :D

Any chance you can send post or PM the details JMT wanted to us all? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 s_wrenn

Is 4g broadband:
    suitable for online pc/console gaming?
    Is it expensive?
    Will 4g BB be an adequate alternative to DSL for people who can’t access DSL?
    Will there be a low traffic quota? (as with 3g BB)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

No details of packages / costs will be made available until near commercial launch dates.

Edited to add. In this case, Flash OFDM is very capable of online gaming. Pings are max 50 ms with recent testing showing this averaging closer to 30 ms.

According to the blurb from Qualcomm (at least that's where I think I read about it), pings are supposedly "as low as 10 ms". This doesn't take much into account, though, and is obviously the lowest you might achieve under absolutely perfect conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I haven't seen lower than 170ms on 02's 3G PCMCIA/PCcard. this was also 70Kbps upload and 184kbps download.

Chaz wrote:
    No details of packages / costs will be made available until near commercial launch dates.

Edited to add. In this case, Flash OFDM is very capable of online gaming. Pings are max 50 ms with recent testing showing this averaging closer to 30 ms.

Any Idea when the Commercial Launch dates will be? April/May June/July or November/December?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

If Digiweb were to move into Kerry I could provide them with a location for a new mast if they wanted. At this stage I would nearly do anything to get broadband, I have my fingers worn ringing politicians and ComReg etc. It really is a disgrace and the first big step we can all take in fixing it is by by voting Fianna Fail and the Progressive Democrats out of office.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Altreab wrote:
    Any chance you can send post or PM the details JMT wanted to us all? :D

He didn't PM me details related to the questions I asked.

The content of the PM is confidential so I can't go further than that :cool:

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

According to the blurb from Qualcomm (at least that's where I think I read about it), pings are supposedly "as low as 10 ms". This doesn't take much into account, though, and is obviously the lowest you might achieve under absolutely perfect conditions.

10ms on air interface and 20ms for other bits and bobs - average REAL WORLD latency closer to 30-50ms as posted by Mr Chaz.
    You also won't be able to get mobile numbers allocated to you, because Vodafone would not be very happy about that. Or perhaps I'm being cynical.

:D no comment - yet.

On all other commercial questions - we genuinely cant release details yet - not because we are mean and dont want to - we simply are working hard to test the capabilities of the system under full load etc and basically getting as much of it "right" as we possibly can - we WANT to launch the best product at the best price range and naturally make a few quid while we are at it. It will also take us a bit of time to build the thing with site acquisition, power etc. Once we have these details we will release them...sure, why wouldn't we?

crawler wrote:
    :D no comment - yet.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's always good to see the PR machine in action though, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

crawler wrote:
    we WANT to launch the best product at the best price range and naturally make a few quid while we are at it.

When you have something to talk about it, then talk about it. In the meantime, give over with the BS. This is not a Digiweb appreciation forum. How about concentrating your energy on getting the product out (and fixing your existing products & structures)!

jwt wrote:
    He didn't PM me details related to the questions I asked.

The content of the PM is confidential so I can't go further than that :cool:

John

No Problem :D

Advertisement