Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will be the star/stars of 2007?

• 26-03-2007 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭

I think that 2007 will be CM Punk's year. He has so much potential...all he has to do is get traded off ECW onto Raw or Smackdown. It's not doing him any good being there. He's being wasted!
    I think that Ashley will improve this year. I can see some improvement in her (Starstruck finisher) & I think she'll get better. And you have to admit she's the most potential of any other Diva Search winner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Johnny Nitro and Melina.

I don't see a whole lot in Ashley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'd agree with Johnny Nitro. I think he'll be given the opportunity to step up big time this year

Punk's got everything already, he just needs to be given a good push/angle/feud and he'll set whatever show he's on on fire

I have a feeling that Paul Burchill could make an impact this year. If he gets on tv without that pirate gimmick I think he could do very well

And I also see a title win for Kennedy before next year's WM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If Harry Smith finally gets the call-up this year then I reckon he could do well. They tend to bring in new talent after WM and they usually push heavily guys who are third-generation wrestlers.

Of the current roster, I hope Johnny Nitro gets a big push but judging by the way they have messed him about the last few weeks I'm sceptical. His best hope is that Mick Foley works a program with him and gets him noticed by the powers-that-be. The obvious one to pick as the star of '07 is Bobby Lashley who will be pushed to the moon but I'm not convinced he has 'it' just now.

I don't rate CM Punk's chances sadly. He has few friends in high places and we all know how harmful that can be. I see a heel turn in his future which might be the best thing for him.

I've actually been warming up to MVP of late. His mic skills are decent enough and in the ring he's alright. I expect Benoit to take him to a good match and I see a US title win for him down the line, though maybe not at Mania. I think '07 will be good for him. Same with Elijah Burke on ECW.

I think London and Kendrick might be split up this year but I see good things for at least one of them as they are both immensely talented and I'd be shocked to see both of them wasted.

Outside of WWE I think AJ Styles will be for TNA this year what Joe was to them last year. Rhyno should elevate him to the next level (no pun intended) and, fingers crossed, he will be pushed into the main event for some awesome matches with Angle, Joe, Sting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I think Punk will break out if his attitude can be kept under control and the powers upstairs take a new shine to him. Kennedy and Nitro are def gonna have a great year. I think Birchall could return and make a great impact on the IC/US title scene. I don't see Harry Smith starting just yet, same for Nattie. I do think Katie Lea (Nikita) and Beth Pheonix might get the call up this year.

Of course, WWE will have to weed out all the sh*t if this is going to happen. And that will only happen if TNA step up and get two hours on a Monday night. But I think all the Batistas and Khalis in the WWE can breathe easy as it'll be a cold day in hell when TNA finally step, if the current product is any indicator.

Minto wrote:
    . And that will only happen if TNA step up and get two hours on a Monday night. QUOTE]

The last think TNA needs is getting 2 hours up against Raw. They'd get squashed and we saw that 4 weeks ago when Raw got moved to Thursday and TNA's rating tanked. It might focus the mind in the WWE though.

• Advertisement

Minto wrote:
    . And that will only happen if TNA step up and get two hours on a Monday night.

The last think TNA needs is getting 2 hours up against Raw. They'd get squashed and we saw that 4 weeks ago when Raw got moved to Thursday and TNA's rating tanked. It might focus the mind in the WWE though.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I said if they steped up and got two hours on a Monday night. By that I meant that WWE would have to take them seriously. Right now they are a joke and I would happily see them get anihalated by the WWE. I long for the 2002/2003/2004 days of TNA and to an extent 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

we saw that 4 weeks ago when Raw got moved to Thursday and TNA's rating tanked. It might focus the mind in the WWE though.

Was that what the move was intended to do or was it because the monday spot was taken up by something?

fatal wrote:
    Was that what the move was intended to do or was it because the monday spot was taken up by something?

I think there a dog show on and Raw got moved to Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Outside of WWE I think AJ Styles will be for TNA this year what Joe was to them last year. Rhyno should elevate him to the next level (no pun intended) and, fingers crossed, he will be pushed into the main event for some awesome matches with Angle, Joe, Sting.

I don't get you point about AJ being the Joe of 2007. Will he be a character where he doesn't know if he's face or heel, have the potential to take over the world but ultimately not (be allowed) deliver? I do think AJ will return to the main event scene. He'll probably turn face again and challenge Christian down the line but ultimately I don't see him as more that an upper mid-card attraction. In honesty I don't see them putting the title back on him yet, I think there are too many guys in the queue ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Double C wrote:
    I don't get you point about AJ being the Joe of 2007. Will he be a character where he doesn't know if he's face or heel, have the potential to take over the world but ultimately not (be allowed) deliver? I do think AJ will return to the main event scene. He'll probably turn face again and challenge Christian down the line but ultimately I don't see him as more that an upper mid-card attraction. In honesty I don't see them putting the title back on him yet, I think there are too many guys in the queue ahead of him.

What I meant was that I think the fans will rally behind him the way they did for Joe in '06. Styles has amazing talent and has name value like Samoa Joe does. I think if TNA are serious about building stars for the future then he's the guy they need to develop next. Samoa Joe was allowed to step up last year and I think Styles is the obvious choice to be allowed step up this year.

What do you reckon? Who do you see as being the TNA wrestler of the year?

• Advertisement

Well what I think will happen is Joe will win the belt, probably at Slammiversary. I really think they would be dumb not to leave it on him for at least 6 months as he has been built up as a monster. He can have great programs with Christian, Angle, Abyss, Rhyno, AJ etc. I think AJ as the top guy in TNA has been done already, during 2004-5, and while I see him in the upper part of the card, I don't think he will reach the main guy level anytime soon. Angle is going to have a run as champ too. There is no doubting AJ is the future of the company, and he is still young (27-ish). I think 2007 will be a stepping stone for the guy, but by the end of the year I can't see his spot on the card changing drastically.

After watching last nights RAW, I have to wonder how much longer WWE can continue to underutilise CM Punk. He was the most over guy on RAW. Also, he looked really uncomfortable reading the crap WWE wrote for him. He is one of the few guys who can do a promo without the need for Hollywood writers feeding him lines.

He didn't look too pleased with his sh*tty little one liner alright. One of his verbal tirades against Edge would have been terrific, and would have made sense after Edge interrupted his post match celebration.

Advertisement