Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday polling day????

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

kbannon wrote:
    The simple fact is that Saturday or Sunday will suit the majority of people

Not so sure about that.

For most people, the polling station is near thier home, so for polling on a working day, it's a detour to/from work.

But a weekend poll means you cannot go away for the weekend and look at the stream of cars/busses leaving Dublin (and to a smaller extend) Galway friday afternoon evening, all full of workings/students going home for the weekend. The students can get a postal vote for a poll duruing term, but the workers cannot.

So for you, a weekend poll means you cannot have a weekend away, but a weekday poll means you lose an hour of your day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

On the news they said that Bertie had mentioned the fourth of July, which would be the last possible date.

on RTÉ the other day, he said he would "call" the election during the summer of 2007, which would rule out May 17th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not so sure about that.

For most people, the polling station is near thier home, so for polling on a working day, it's a detour to/from work.

But a weekend poll means you cannot go away for the weekend and look at the stream of cars/busses leaving Dublin (and to a smaller extend) Galway friday afternoon evening, all full of workings/students going home for the weekend. The students can get a postal vote for a poll duruing term, but the workers cannot.

So for you, a weekend poll means you cannot have a weekend away, but a weekday poll means you lose an hour of your day.

Can people not leave Saturday morning and poll first thing? Can they not stay at home for one weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

on RTÉ the other day, he said he would "call" the election during the summer of 2007, which would rule out May 17th
    According to today's Sindo, it's 17th - the main reason being that he doesn't want the tribunal to start their new module (presumably this will be moved to conspiracy theories now;) )

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Glenbhoy wrote:
    According to today's Sindo, it's 17th - the main reason being that he doesn't want the tribunal to start their new module (presumably this will be moved to conspiracy theories now;) )

I'd agree with this. If there is any kind of progress with the nurses early this week he'll call it on Wednesday for the 17th. If no progress he'll likely hold off for the 24th. Really can't see him letting it go to July..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not so sure about that.

Are you telling me that you go away every weekend? If so then maybe staying at home will be a nice change!
    Saturday voting will suit the majority whose ventures away from home are usually as far as Tesco!
    Glenbhoy wrote:
    The simple fact is that nobody knows! The media (as are we) are just speculating and until Bertie announces the date, it will continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

kbannon wrote:
    Sometimes you seem to be posting with your FF hat on and other times you seem to be speaking for yourself. I don't know about others but it gets confusing for me trying to figure out which is which.

Is the election date going to be decided by people you canvas?

No but the TD I was canvassing with would have a better idea actually sitting on the same benches as the Taoiseach and sitting in the same parliamentary party meeting.

ninty9er wrote:
    No but the TD I was canvassing with would have a better idea actually sitting on the same benches as the Taoiseach and sitting in the same parliamentary party meeting.
    By all accounts, given Ahern's dictatorial style, we will have as good an idea as the TD you canvassed with. My money's on the 17th anyway, so it better be, if Hazel Lawlor's high court challenge to stop the tribunal today fails, we can expect a date to be announced before Thursday, or so the papers think.

it seems like FG realise the advantages of weekend voting!
    from http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=MHAUQLGBGBID
    FG wants all future elections held on Fridays or weekends
    24/04/2007 - 08:32:05
    Fine Gael is seeking to introduce a new law that would guarantee all future elections are held on Fridays or weekends.

The party is due to table private members' bills in the Dáil and Seanad this evening specifying that all elections must be held on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

It says the move is designed to increase voter participation as it would enable students and young workers to return to their home constituencies to cast their vote.

However, the suggestions are expected to be voted down by the government parties.

The Taoiseach is believed to be planning a Thursday election this year, something the opposition claims is deliberately designed to disenfranchise young voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Glenbhoy wrote:
    By all accounts, given Ahern's dictatorial style, we will have as good an idea as the TD you canvassed with. My money's on the 17th anyway, so it better be, if Hazel Lawlor's high court challenge to stop the tribunal today fails, we can expect a date to be announced before Thursday, or so the papers think.
    On the 6.1 News Charlie Bird suggested that Bertie will call it on Monday or Tuesday next for 24th May, a Thursday.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote:
    On the 6.1 News Charlie Bird suggested that Bertie will call it on Monday or Tuesday next for 24th May, a Thursday.

that certainly seems to be the word on the street at the moment.

copacetic wrote:
    that certainly seems to be the word on the street at the moment.
    It seems that yesterday's poll stopped him calling it for 17th - i had it from a very good source that it was going to be called yesterday, a lot of people lost a lot of money (thankfully, they limited my stakes to €40!!), but apparently over 20K was staked with paddypower at all prices yesterday on 17th. According to the Mail, he was minutes from calling it, but got wind of the poll results at the last minute.

Glenbhoy wrote:
    It seems that yesterday's poll stopped him calling it for 17th - i had it from a very good source that it was going to be called yesterday, a lot of people lost a lot of money (thankfully, they limited my stakes to €40!!), but apparently over 20K was staked with paddypower at all prices yesterday on 17th. According to the Mail, he was minutes from calling it, but got wind of the poll results at the last minute.

really? that doesn't sound right. my understanding was he would have had to call it on Wednesday to have it on the 17th and that paddy power had suspended betting on Tuesday for the 17th as polling day.
    If he had called it yesterday the earliest day would have been the 18th which is a Friday. WIlling to be wrong, but I am pretty sure.

Everyone knew the mrbi poll was coming on friday and that there was a chance it would not be great for FF anyway.

copacetic wrote:
    really? that doesn't sound right. my understanding was he would have had to call it on Wednesday to have it on the 17th and that paddy power had suspended betting on Tuesday for the 17th as polling day.
    If he had called it yesterday the earliest day would have been the 18th which is a Friday. WIlling to be wrong, but I am pretty sure.

Everyone knew the mrbi poll was coming on friday and that there was a chance it would not be great for FF anyway.
    Yeah, that was a lot of people's understanding, but it was definitely wrong - as of now, it could still be called for May 18th until 11.59 pm tonight.
    see link:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0426/ahernb.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Bertie is loving this.
    Yes, on the News at One today he said that there is now little doubt but that the election will be held on the 24th

Glenbhoy wrote:
    Yeah, that was a lot of people's understanding, but it was definitely wrong - as of now, it could still be called for May 18th until 11.59 pm tonight.
    see link:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0426/ahernb.html

am willing to be wrong as I said but the link doesn't say that at all??

Hmmm
    Hazel Lawlor's case fails thus allowing the tribunal to get underway.
    Speculation mounts about Bertie announcing the election which more than likely will lead to the tribunal waiting until after the election before resuming.
    I presume it has nothing to do with the 80 odd grand in donations he is alleged to have received.

Actually just thinking about it - if he was found to have received the 80K his ratings may increase!

copacetic wrote:
    am willing to be wrong as I said but the link doesn't say that at all??
    check out politics.ie then, the political buffs over there were initially saying the same as you, but throughout the day they changed their minds when it became apparent they had miscalculated. It's irrelevant now either way!!

Glenbhoy wrote:
    check out politics.ie then, the political buffs over there were initially saying the same as you, but throughout the day they changed their minds when it became apparent they had miscalculated. It's irrelevant now either way!!

will have a look. i believe you, was just hoping you would find a link for me, you lazy fecker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Last election was during my leaving and this one is during my finals.
    With exams (in ucd anyway) that can run from 9.30am - 9.30pm this is going to be a massive pain in the arse for people to get home to vote.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote:
    will have a look. i believe you, was just hoping you would find a link for me, you lazy fecker!!
    http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?t=19275
    and
    http://www.politics.ie/viewtopic.php?t=19376

Jaysus, do I have to everything round here;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Out of interest why do students have such an aversion to just registering in the the college's constituency and voting there? I can understand commuters having an issue with a Thursday election but honestly I'd have no issue with registering in the college's constituency if I had to.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement