Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damien Rice & Lisa Hannigan Split

Options
  • 26-03-2007 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Damien Rice splits from long-term vocalist
    The star had been with Lisa Hannigan for six years
    7 hours ago
    Damien Rice has split with long-time vocalist Lisa Hannigan.

The news ends a musical partnership which lasted six years, and will come as a shock to Rice's legion of fans, as Hannigan had long been an integral part of Rice's backing band, particularly in his live performances.

Hannigan supplied vocals to both of Rice's two albums - 2001's 'O' and last year's '9'.

An official statement read "After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course. As a result Lisa will not be appearing at any of the upcoming live shows. Lisa is embarking on her own artistic endeavours and there are no plans for them to work together in the foreseeable future. The current band on tour at the moment are Damien Rice, Joel Shearer, Shane Fitzsimons, Tom Osander and Vyvienne Long."

Rice, meanwhile, begins his first UK tour without Hannigan at London's Carling Hammersmith Apollo tomorrow night (March 27). The show is sold out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I loved her voice and I'm sure she inspired much of the music but I'm sure Damo can carry on with good music,

I hope so anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

An official statement read "After much thought and discussion Damien has decided that his professional relationship with Lisa Hannigan has run its creative course.

Does anyone else see an undercurrent of bitchiness in that statement?

Anyway I'm not exactly Damien Rice's biggest fan but I always thought that Lisa Hannigan was crucial to his songs; can't really imagine his stuff without her voice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

prefered her to him tbh, he's an arrogant pr1ck, got too big for his boots after 'o'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

prefered her to him tbh, he's an arrogant pr1ck, got too big for his boots after 'o'
    And what exactly are you basing that on? Do you know the man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭megs_88

cant wait to hear more solo lisa stuff, her work on the cake sale was brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

ah, hes a legend......damo shall live on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

i dont really like her singing that much on her own or his for that matter but when they sang together it was amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭goodfela

Laika wrote:

I don't know about bitchiness, definitely our Damien is pretty pretentious sometimes - this comment sounds like more of that...

She'll be missed, really brought loads to the songs but Rice is very talented so i'm sure he'll keep writing great songs...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Bollocks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

No way! This will have a negative impact on Damo's career methinks. Who will he replace her with for his live performances? Her voice is so unique. Lisa Hannigan will do well out of it, he made her into a star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dream brother

Laika wrote:

Kind got that impression yesterday when I read about it too. But he's needs to spread his roots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Isn't she the bird from 'Buffy'?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

no great loss in my opinion, her voice did nothing for me whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dublin's Finest

magpie wrote:

Yes, she couldn't find another role after she got typecast as the flutef#*ker in American Pie so she came to Ireland, dyed her hair and began singing her little heart out with Damo.

Watch out for American Pie 5: The Blower's Daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭gucci

they're harmonys worked well together and they had beautiful onstage chemistry especially when drinking a bottle of wine together during "cheers darling" (not sure if thats the correct name ;) will be interesting to see if he goes for a well known "replacement" for his summer gigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

My mate went to Damo's gig in Stockholm last weekend, said he played stuff from both albums but said it definitely wasn't the same without Lisa.

He also reported Damo got drunk on stage and was saying stuff like "hey what a great job I have, people are paying money to see me get drunk on stage"..

Sounds like the attitude of a knob jockey to me. IMHO, 9 was a bit of a disappointment after such a long wait. Too many self indulgent tracks.

However I'm still a fan and look forward to the August gig in Marley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Damein Rice is completley full of himself, hopefully Lisa gets her own stuff more widely known. She is great on 9 Crimes

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Pighead wrote:
    And what exactly are you basing that on? Do you know the man?

run in's twice... i've worked with artists at a number of festivals

magpie wrote:

thats allison
    hannigan2-sized.jpg

this is lisa
    Lisa-Hannigan-013.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Too many self indulgent tracks.

This for me, sums Damien Rice up completely. If I was to make one change, the sentence would have been shorter and more fundamental, if I may...
    Self-indulgent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

This for me, sums Damien Rice up completely. If I was to make one change, the sentence would have been shorter and more fundamental, if I may...

You may :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

run in's twice... i've worked with artists at a number of festivals
    I've met him a couple of times too and he found him to be quite the gentlemen. Maybe he didn't like the smell of you or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

That's a shame, she really added to his music. Saw them 2 weeks ago and something definelty wasn't right between them, could sense some tension. Didn't realise they were having problems and thought nothing more of it :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Pighead wrote:
    I've met him a couple of times too and he found him to be quite the gentlemen. Maybe he didn't like the smell of you or something.

Not his biggest fan but i've shared a 67a or two in the past and had a couple of other runs ins with him and he's always been more than decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭acidhappy

he'll really have to rethink the arrangements for some of the songs live. I've seen him try and sing Lisa's parts in the past as she would and it just didn't work. I hope Lisa gets together some good songs. She has a savage voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

She looks about 16

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

:| wrote:
    She looks about 16
    Always a good trait.

I know a few sound engineers and a few musicians who have met the man and say he's a c*nt, alright. But in fairness, I'd imagine my contemporaries would say the same about me when I'm famous ^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

I'm surprised that this thread has got to a length of about 25 posts without anybody mentioning how bloody HOT Lisa is! She more than made up for the sight of her scruffy bollix former sidekick, Mr R.

Hope to see her do solo stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

^ Hear hear.

I would say more, but there is really no need to with a name and a picture like mine.

Advertisement