Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charged when someone leaves you a voicemail while roaming

• 26-03-2007 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Right, here's a stupid question which I can't reason the answer out to in my head ..

When roaming on O2 you are charged if someone leaves you a voicemail.

My question, how does O2 know you're away? What if someone dials direct into your voicemail while you're away and leaves a voicemail? What if you turn off your phone while in another country and bring it home - how does O2 then know you're at home?

Am I making any sense?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

ciaranfo wrote:
    Right, here's a stupid question which I can't reason the answer out to in my head ..

My question, how does O2 know you're away? What if someone dials direct into your voicemail while you're away and leaves a voicemail? What if you turn off your phone while in another country and bring it home - how does O2 then know you're at home?

Am I making any sense?

If you turn it off you are not roaming. End of problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So the charge only kicks in when your phone is active on a foreign network and a "voicemail divert" is activated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

They know because a call will be diverted. You are charged for the divert, not someone leaving you a mail. If someone dials directly into your mail, you are not diverting, they are just dialling a number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You might think of it as this. The roaming charge is for your phone to use another network. Someone ringing/texing you on an Irish network, is using the irish network. When you answer the call, or pick up the text you are using a non Irish network. Thats the bit you are getting charged for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

My question, how does O2 know you're away? What if someone dials direct into your voicemail while you're away and leaves a voicemail? What if you turn off your phone while in another country and bring it home - Am I making any sense?

Basically the easiest way to avoid these charges is to put the divert on your phone before you leave the home network. When you register as a roamer onto a foreign network, the foreign network tells the home network (via signalling) that you are registered temporarily with them and to forward any traffic their way. If the voicemail divert is placed before travelling, voice traffic will never leave the home network. However if its put on during your travels, the call is forwarded to the foreign network and back to your home network....which is where the charge comes from.

how does O2 then know you're at home?

When you turn on your phone it registers to your home network and it recognises your IMSI (International Mobile Subscriber Identity) as being part of its network....and registers you as being home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

So if I come back from holidays and don't turn my phone on in Ireland for a week, I'll be charged roaming rates when someone leaves me a voicemail until I've turned my phone on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

nope. There's a thing called a hlr (home locator register) - when you return to Ireland even if your divert is still active, your phone will register on the network here. Roaming charges will no longer apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

to answer ciaranfo's question...you will continue to be charged roaming rates if you haven't turned your phone on when you return to ireland because the last place your phone was registered as active was in a roaming country and therefore your home network still thinks you are roaming until you tell them otherwise by turning your phone on....

Advertisement