Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend trees for planting

Options
  • 26-03-2007 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hello,

Could anyone recommend any particular types of trees to plant. I live in a housing estate whereby my house is elevated to an extent where members of the public walking on the avenue adjacent to my house can see into my kitchen (albeit from 25ft away). There already exists a 6 ft high boundary wall around the rear garden. My main aim here is to add privacy to my back garden. Can anyone recommend any trees which may grow to a height of 12-14ft?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

It's hard to pass Leyland Cypress in a situation like that. Evergreen, relatively cheap and fast growing. Not everybody likes them but they do the job and you can trim them to whatever height you like. Castlewellan Gold is a good variety.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my folks got some variety of acer which is fast growing - it's deciduous, but in winter the branches provide an adequate screen. my dad has to lop a foot or two off every year to keep them about 12-14ft tall, so they're quite quick growing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,730 ✭✭✭sudzs

bmaxi wrote:
    It's hard to pass Leyland Cypress in a situation like that. Evergreen, relatively cheap and fast growing. Not everybody likes them but they do the job and you can trim them to whatever height you like. Castlewellan Gold is a good variety.

Oh sweet Jesus, don't plant these devil trees!!!

And be careful with your aspect. You don't want to plunge your entire garden into shade. What direction does your kitchen face? What's your soil like?

Maybe get a mix of trees... maybe some of the Betulas (birches) Some will get to 25 ft after 20-25 years. B. jacquenomtii is fantastic as it has white bark so would look great against a painted wall or covered in ivy...

...or Sorbus (mountain ash) Lots of different ones.

Robinia pseudoacacia has beautiful fern like leaves and grow quickly.

Poplars.... can get to 60ft!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Leylandii's have their place imo, especially for hedging or as part of mixed planting in a more open situation, but I'd be wary of planting them in an urban situation to grow to full height.

Rowans (aka Mountain Ash) are relatively small may suit you're situation. How about hawthorn (aka whitethorn/quickthorn) grown as small tree's? Good wildlife trees with the haws and cover, pretty blossom in the spring/early summer, and could be handy for security too if the garden backs on to a road. Pretty low maintainance as you can hack them back and they'll regrow.

Evergreen wise, holly could be an option if security is a factor, but it's pretty slow growing. Or laurel left to grow would definitely give you the privacy.

If you make your decision fairly quick you may even be able to get them bare root, but it is getting right to the limit now...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

what size is your back garden, if its small be careful as if you create too much shade, your lawn and any flowering plants may suffer..

Go to your local library and get a copy of The Tree and Shrub expert by Dr. D.G. Hessayon...This will give you all the information you need in terms of tree types, height, site & soil conditions, pruning etc.

There is a large selection of trees and shrubs that may be suitable for you.

good luck..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can't cut leylandiis back hard, you don't get green growth again if you cout back to the brown - very few conifers (one exception being yew) can take that sort of abuse. most deciduous trees and shrubs can be cut back hard.

Advertisement