Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help my stir fry recipe?

• 26-03-2007 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Tonight for dinner I had, and am now having left overs for supper of;

chicken breast
    carrot cut into strings
    large onion
    1/4 clove of garlic
    olive oil
    oregano
    mushrooms

Was thinking about adding some paprika and sweetcorn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I would add some sweetcorn and brocilli, dunno about the paprika. Stir fries are generally a way of using stuff up though ain't they? don't be afraid to through any auld thing in, so long as the whole meal isn't going to taste of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I was hesitant of the paprika because everything would just taste of it. I'll pick up brocoli and sweetcorn for my next one, I have them every four days because I only have four recipes! :D

Tell me this; what rice do you use? I had been using Uncle Ben's wholegrain to be healthy, then switched to long grain because it tastes so damn good and sticky and I think I get a high off the sugar and then recently I bought tescos own because it's dirt cheap but it also tastes like dirt too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

Try replacing the onion with leeks.

For rice, have a go at thai fragrant rice. Available at any oriental shop.

I'd go with brown rice for the healthy option. For some reason I feel it cooks nice when you boil it with a pinch or two of brown sugar-its a bit nuttier than white rice and the sugar seems to compliement the rice better than salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd use scallions instead of onions or leeks.
    Some finely chopped ginger too.
    Why just a ¼ clove of garlic? - I'd use 2 or 3 cloves myself.
    Think about adding Chinese 5 Spice & some soy sauce too.
    Oh - don't forget peppers & maybe a finely chopped chili.
    What about noodles instead of rice? They only take a few mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

* Crush raw Cashew Nuts and sprinkle them in near the end.

* Beansprouts. Again, put them in near the end. They add a satisfying "crunch" to things.

WUSBDesign wrote:
    Try replacing the onion with leeks.

For rice, have a go at thai fragrant rice. Available at any oriental shop.

Will do.
    I'd go with brown rice for the healthy option.

I'll have to try it with some brown sugar although it seems very unconventional!
    Hill Billy wrote:
    I'd use scallions instead of onions or leeks.
    Some finely chopped ginger too.

The old man's forever trying to get me to eat some ginger - apparently it's great for your stomach.
    Why just a ¼ clove of garlic? - I'd use 2 or 3 cloves myself.

2 or 3 for one person like? Even for several that seems excessive! I thought I liked garlic :)
    Think about adding Chinese 5 Spice & some soy sauce too.
    Oh - don't forget peppers & maybe a finely chopped chili.
    What about noodles instead of rice? They only take a few mins.

Never tried Chinese 5 Spice but I had some soy sauce when I was a kid and thought it disgusting, although I thought the same thing about wine and Guiness too so I'll give it a lash! I actually usually put in peppers and chilli only I forgot the pepper last night and couldn't get the chilli in the shop yesterday. I'll definitely be trying noodles.
    rediguana wrote:
    * Crush raw Cashew Nuts and sprinkle them in near the end.

* Beansprouts. Again, put them in near the end. They add a satisfying "crunch" to things.

On it!

Can't wait to do my weekly shop in Tesco this Friday evening and I'll make it to an Oriental shop over the weekend probably. I'll let you guys know how I get on making it Friday evening - Thanks for all the input folks!

Don't add a lot of sugar mind, its not a dessert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

dusf wrote:
    2 or 3 for one person like? Even for several that seems excessive! I thought I liked garlic :)

Well that's just me. I love the stuff. I braised 2 whole heads of garlic with my dinner on Sunday - 1 for me & 1 for Mrs Billy. I've spoken to straight-up friends & co-workers about this & they assure me that I don't smell of garlic.

I've also never been attacked by a vampire. ;)

Apparently it's a great natural aphrodisiac but it needs to hardly be cooked for this to work - ask Mrs. Billy what she thinks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement