Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of Laser Card questions

Options
  • 26-03-2007 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I just got an AIB Laser card and have a couple of questions.

I was told I have free banking once I use my Laser card once and do one online banking transaction every quarter.

I'm told it replaces my ATM card also. Will I be charged for ATM transactions now because I have a new card?

Is there a charge on Laser card transactions? Is there a min or max on a laser card transaction?

How long does it take for a laser transaction to show on my account statement? Is it possible for my account to become overdrawn as a result of transactions not showing up right away?

How does it show up on my statement? (i.e. just "last tran" or "Esso Garage"?)

Is there a min or max on the amount of cash back I can get or does it depend on the shop in question?

Is there a max number or value of laser transactions I can do in a day? (or is it based on my account?)

Is there a max number or value of ATM withdrawls I can do in a day? (or is it based on my account?)

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

ciaranfo wrote:
    Right, I just got an AIB Laser card and have a couple of questions.

I was told I have free banking once I use my Laser card once and do one online banking transaction every quarter.

I'm told it replaces my ATM card also. Will I be charged for ATM transactions now because I have a new card?

Is there a charge on Laser card transactions? Is there a min or max on a laser card transaction?

It will function in an ATM the exact same as your current card. You will be charged the same for laser transactions as you are for ATM transactions. If of course you qualify for free banking your charge will be 0.
    How long does it take for a laser transaction to show on my account statement? Is it possible for my account to become overdrawn as a result of transactions not showing up right away?

How does it show up on my statement? (i.e. just "last tran" or "Esso Garage"?)
    It generally takes a couple of days, it is possible to become overdrawn as the laser machine does not got online to check balance for all transactions (i think when charge is below €100 or so they tend not to.

The name of the merchant shows up on your statement
    Is there a min or max on the amount of cash back I can get or does it depend on the shop in question?

Is there a max number or value of laser transactions I can do in a day? (or is it based on my account?)

Is there a max number or value of ATM withdrawls I can do in a day? (or is it based on my account?)

Thanks a lot.

There is a max limit of €100 cashback I think, theres no max number of transactions per day. There is no max number of atm withdrawls in a day though there may be a maximum ATM daily withdrawl limit (e.g. €500)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

why dont you ring your bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

fintan wrote:
    why dont you ring your bank?
    I'm gonna ring them with my list of questions in a while, I just don't want to deal with them on the phone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

ciaranfo wrote:

Afaik it is 3 transactions per quarter, and must be at least one debit and one credit transaction. I just get petrol/phone credit/money out of atm to cover the debit transaction and my receiving my wages seems to cover the credit transactions.
    ciaranfo wrote:
    I'm told it replaces my ATM card also.

I still have my old atm and my laser, keep the old atm at home just in case i should happen to get the laser lost/stolen/broken in half.
    ciaranfo wrote:
    Will I be charged for ATM transactions now because I have a new card?

Should be covered by your free banking
    ciaranfo wrote:
    How long does it take for a laser transaction to show on my account statement?

depends what it is, (atm) withdrawals are almost immediate. When getting money put back in say after winning on a gambling site it is usually 2 or 3 working days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

www.laser.ie might help.

I find the laser card to be very useful to be honest, the only problem is with some online retailers not accepting.

• Advertisement

laser.ie doesn't exist .. but now that you mention it google finds www.lasercard.ie which looks promising :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A Laser card with Cirrus or Maestro on it can be used abroad, just like a Laser card here. I find it great when on hols, eliminates need for cumbersome travellers cheques.

Aglomerado wrote:
    A Laser card with Cirrus or Maestro on it can be used abroad, just like a Laser card here. I find it great when on hols, eliminates need for cumbersome travellers cheques.
    Maestro can be used over the counter abroad like a Laser can in Ireland or like you'd use a credit card?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

ciaranfo wrote:
    Maestro can be used over the counter abroad like a Laser can in Ireland or like you'd use a credit card?

Maestro (in the form of Laser) doesn't work everywhere. It works in Auchan in Luxembourg but not Sephora. Intermarche in Poland can handle it as can Internarches in France but some E.Leclerc can't. It seems to be even harder to get it to work in the UK.

On the back of my Laser Card it says:

For Customer Services, Telephone (01) 2695022

Rang them earlier to ask my list of questions. The guy seemed a bit perplexed and unsure about the whole thing. Kept suggesting I ring my branch. Wouldn't commit to any answers. What nonsense!

I'll ring back tomorrow and my bank and see if I can get some better answers from someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wiggzie

who signs up for a new card or account without knowing the charges etc?

wiggzie wrote:
    who signs up for a new card or account without knowing the charges etc?
    Wait, I know this one!

I knew the basics, I just want some more definite answers .. I'm one of these people who'll just ask questions until I know every aspect inside-out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wiggzie

after signing up? that makes sense - given that these are the 'aspects' that should have informed your decision to proceed in the first place...

wiggzie wrote:
    after signing up? that makes sense - given that these are the 'aspects' that should have informed your decision to proceed in the first place...
    I can't argue with that - I rush into a product which I didn't know the full details on. I'll learn my lessons for the future and find out the full info, although it all seems alright in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Healio wrote:
    I still have my old atm and my laser, keep the old atm at home just in case i should happen to get the laser lost/stolen/broken in half.

Really? My old ATM card was cancelled as soon as my Laser card was activated, you sure yours is still active?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

wiggzie wrote:

There are more aspects to moving to laser than those outlined by the OP's questions. Just for the added handiness makes it worthwhile alone. The OP is obviously aware that there are free transactions under certain conditions, this probably isn't very different to the OP's previous card.

And OP, not paying charges is great! As a student I have never had to pay charges, but next year when I start work I fully intend to have my account with the bank that makes it easiest to have no charges for transactions.

AIB have been excellent for me with regard to Laser and Credit Cards, they replace them quickly and have been very willing to raise the limit on my CC which makes me happy (I've never paid a cent of interest on a CC).

xebec wrote:
    Really? My old ATM card was cancelled as soon as my Laser card was activated, you sure yours is still active?
    They have to set it to cancel. Usually they do this as standard but they can leave it active if you want (i.e. going on hols and not sure if your new card will arrive on time or whatever). You will be charged stamp duty and gov charges on both though.
    Based on experience with AIB.

Advertisement