Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downhill Road racing

Options
  • 26-03-2007 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

What is the largest downhill road in that ye fellow board members have travelled
    down and what top speed did ye reach , my personal best is 50 miles/hr,

i hear the wicklow 200 provides pretty long down hills .

or am i just a crazed cowboy???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Dingle side of the Conor Pass and it was fast, no speedo but I couldnt keep up with the pedals, (13t rear 54t front). prob the same speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I got up to 75kmph (just under 47mph) or there abouts, coming down Howth hill on my MTB. I can't seem to get the same speed on my road bike though. The road bike seems to be less forgiving than my MTB. I feel like I'm about to take off if I hit any small bumps in the road. Never felt like that on the MTB though. I've been practicing for the Wicklow 200 and there are some nice fast and long downhill sections on the route

P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Lazairus wrote:
    i hear the wicklow 200 provides pretty long down hills.

No really fast descents in the direction travelled by the Wicklow 200, too many bends and too bumpy coming down from the mountains into Laragh, Wicklow Gap doesn't have enough decline to be really fast and again too many bends coming down from Slieve Maan. Coming down Slieve Maan in the opposite direction however is pretty steep and long, plenty of potential to develop speed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Lazairus wrote:
    i hear the wicklow 200 provides pretty long down hills .

or am i just a crazed cowboy???
    There was a thread on the Wicklow 200 site about an accident where a crazed cowboy crashed into another cyclist on a long downhill. The victim ended with some broken bones and a broken bike. The conclusion was that the crazed cowboy was irresponsible and was travelling at a speed unsafe for the number of cyclists around.
    So, if you plan to go mad on the down hills, be sure to know the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

91km/hr in a tunnel on the descent from Col Du Lauteret on last years Etape du tour. Tunnel was very long, had no idea how quick I was going till I came out the other side and got the wind blast. Bike started vibrating in a very strange way... had to hold the top tube with my knees to steady it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Quigs Snr wrote:
    91km/hr in a tunnel on the descent from Col Du Lauteret on last years Etape du tour. Tunnel was very long, had no idea how quick I was going till I came out the other side and got the wind blast. Bike started vibrating in a very strange way... had to hold the top tube with my knees to steady it.

lore of legand!!!!

my top speed is 49.7 and id recon id get faster with a car drafting,

speed is fun by yourself on roads and downhills that are smooth and lack of pot holes debris and election posters!!!!!

i would not do in a group , that is foolish , its only when im doing short spins on my racer and i cycle down the hill ,that i challenge my self to beet my PB

The idea is to get a steepish hill and go down it when its quiet , ie early mornings or weekends. the hill can be as long as possible but , not many turns ,

and the aim is to be at top speed when you hit the top of the hill !!!!

what about blessington , there is some big hills in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Road over the Sally gap, Kilbride to Roundwood way is great for downhills. Some huge ones just before Roundwood... can get quite scary over 40mph tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

coming up over the shoulder of djouce mountain from roundwood side, i think its called old long hill, thats the straightest fast hill i can think of right now, dont use a speedo but im pretty sure ive hit 50 miles an hour judging from previous speeds in groups where we knew the speed (judging from cadence in top gear, not wind resistence)

only use the first part for speed as the second part finshes on a really dangerous junction!

Advertisement