Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joey Mercury Released

• 26-03-2007 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

It was announced on WWE.com that former multiple time WWE Tag Team Champion Joey Mercury has been released from the company. Here is the WWE's official statement:

WWE.com has learned that today in Chicago, WWE officials have agreed on the immediate release of Joey Mercury

This comes at a time when Mercury was looking at a comeback with the continued reuniting of MNM on all three brand shows in the last month or so since ECW's December to Dismember. Mercury also was the one who had his nose shattered in the tag team title ladder match at Armageddon. The last match Mercy competed in on WWE TV was in a loss with Johnny Nitro to the WWE Tag Team Champions Paul London & Brian Kendrick on Smackdown.

There is no word yet on why Mercury was released but we will keep you informed as more information is revealed. One has to note that the wording for his release does not match ones where the superstar and the WWE have mutally agreed to come to terms. You also need to take into account that the WWE recently conducted several "Wellness Program" tests so there could be a connection there as well.

credit: wwe.com & lordsofpain.net

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Ah that's ****. I'm a big fan of Mercury's. There certainly seems to be an indication that it's got something to do with the Wellness Policy, especially when you consider that he had already been suspended under it. Hopefully he can get himself sorted out and then go back to ROH or TNA, as he's still got a lot to offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Damn you Ph3n0m, you beat me to it!! ;)

As I said in my thread, its a pity, cos I thought he was pretty decent in the ring. I'd be inclined to say it was creative having nothing for him, but your point about the Wellnes Program, has kinda changed my mind.

Ph3n0m, would you do the decent thing and lock the other thread? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Aw f*ck no this is a damn shame. Mercury is a brilliant wrestler and would be a credit to any company (though I say that not knowing why he has been released).

To take the 'every cloud has a silver lining' approach, this should be a good thing for Johnny Nitro as he can move out of the tag picture which I feel is a step backwards for him.

Still, I'm disappointed about this. In the early days of MNM I always felt Mercury would be the one to have the most success whenever they would be split up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 deathray 4000

blatantley stolen from ukff
    There was an incident backstage at Raw this afternoon, which resulted in Joey Mercury being fired and Stephanie McMahon being taken to a local hospital. Details are still coming in, but the early word is that Mercury snapped when the creative team told him that he and his partner Johnny Nitro would not be appearing at Wrestlemania 23. Not much is known, but word is that Mercury charged at Stephanie McMahon, knocking her into the side of a desk. He was immediately restrained by the rest of the creative team, and fired on the spot. Vince McMahon is said to be furious at the harm caused at his daughter, who had to be taken to a Chicago hospital for evaluation. Mercury may face criminal charges and possible jail time if WWE decides to follow through. Dave Meltzer will have much more on this situation as he gets it

mercury is my new hero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

blatantley stolen from ukff
    There was an incident backstage at Raw this afternoon, which resulted in Joey Mercury being fired and Stephanie McMahon being taken to a local hospital. Details are still coming in, but the early word is that Mercury snapped when the creative team told him that he and his partner Johnny Nitro would not be appearing at Wrestlemania 23. Not much is known, but word is that Mercury charged at Stephanie McMahon, knocking her into the side of a desk. He was immediately restrained by the rest of the creative team, and fired on the spot. Vince McMahon is said to be furious at the harm caused at his daughter, who had to be taken to a Chicago hospital for evaluation. Mercury may face criminal charges and possible jail time if WWE decides to follow through. Dave Meltzer will have much more on this situation as he gets it

mercury is my new hero

Id be fairly certain that is nonsense... there is nothing about it on meltzers site wrestlingobserver.com and people are always printing ridiculous stories and naming Meltzer to give themselves credibility. Think about it... it makes almost no sense even!

• Advertisement

Well..that's something! If it's true, first off I hope Stephanie's ok, as much as I dislike her these days. And Mercury should have had enough sense to have realised by now that he wouldn't be at WM, even though it would have made sense. But he'll be a bit of a hero on the indy scene now!

Fozzy wrote:
    Well..that's something! If it's true, first off I hope Stephanie's ok, as much as I dislike her these days. And Mercury should have had enough sense to have realised by now that he wouldn't be at WM, even though it would have made sense. But he'll be a bit of a hero on the indy scene now!

its not true man!! come on.... think about it!!! the random meltzer name dropping at the end is a clear indication that its nonsense. what youthink stephanie mcmahon would go around personally telling wrestlers they are off mania??! its been fairly apparent that MNM are unlikely to be on 'Mania for a good while now... why would he suddenly flip??! its almost laughable how ridiculous it is!:rolleyes:

Not to say that it is true, but let's say MNM were scheduled to be in this rumoured tag-team battle royal. Maybe he was told that it will be a dark match and not on the actual ppv. Ya never know! Haha

Fozzy wrote:
    Not to say that it is true, but let's say MNM were scheduled to be in this rumoured tag-team battle royal. Maybe he was told that it will be a dark match and not on the actual ppv. Ya never know! Haha

if this is true i`ll buy a hat and eat it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

If it did happen and I was Triple H, Mercury would want to keep one eye over his shoulder, cos i'd kick the living sh*t out of him if I found him! I've always had a thing for Steph, so excuse the sudden hatred for Mercury.

Also, there is no excuse for hitting a women. Or charging as the article suggests.

• Advertisement

lol why are you guys even talking as if it could have happened?! all you have to do is read it to see its laughable!

While that story probably isn't true, it has to be true that Mercury left on bad terms, as they didn't "wish him well in his future endeavours"

I don`t think in this climate they would like to be seen wishing him well in his future endeavours if it was a big breach of the wellness programme... I imagine with the negative steroid publicity they have recently got that they wanted to make an example of somebody to serve up as a sacrificial lamb. sucks for mercury!

woooo232 wrote:
    I don`t think in this climate they would like to be seen wishing him well in his future endeavours if it was a big breach of the wellness programme... I imagine with the negative steroid publicity they have recently got that they wanted to make an example of somebody to serve up as a sacrificial lamb. sucks for mercury!

That's what I'm thinking too. I wonder if his release will be mentioned on Raw tonight?

I doubt it, when has any other release ever been mentioned on tv?

Fozzy wrote:
    I doubt it, when has any other release ever been mentioned on tv?

When Scott Hall was released it was mentioned on the Raw show. Sometimes when it's a release that affects groups they mention it. MNM have been on and off though so it will be interesting to see if they bother mentioning him.

I don't see it happening. They didn't say anything about Angle when he was released, and Mercury wasn't on the card for WM. They'll want their fans to talk about the guys who are at WM, not some guy who isn't even with the company

But I could be wrong, maybe Vince will want to make an example out of Mercury after the way he charged at his daughter earlier today!

Fozzy wrote:
    But I could be wrong, maybe Vince will want to make an example out of Mercury after the way he charged at his daughter earlier today!

I know and her in hospital and all!!! string him up I say!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

It hasnt been confirmed whether Mercury charged at stephanie but if he did it is terrible.It shouldnt have come as a surprise to him that he wasnt going to appear at WM.
    Secondly about his release,I think that its a shame becasue im a fan of the guys wrestling ability.I thought that after that incident at Armageddon,he would have gotten some sort of a push.I dont think that TNA will sign him as I dont see where in TNA he would fit in.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Theres been nothing on the observer site about this rumor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

This is a bit of a funny one alright! First off, it sucks he was fired cos MNM are a decent team. Now Nitro is going to be all out singles which I'm not too pleased about, I'm not a huge fan of the guy.
    If he charged at Stephanie like the story says, surely he knew what was coming. He was in the doghouse after failing the Wellness Program, and I had heard the MNM reunion was going to be a short run thing at best because WWE didn't want to give him much of a push. I don't doubt the story at all, but I think there might just be moore to it than meets the eye.
    I don't see where he would fit into TNA either, but that has never stopped them snapping up all these WWE rejects. Mercury's, or Joey Matthews as he will become again, future surely lies in the indies, mainly back in ROH. He could easily go there and get over straight away and make the kind of impact there guys like Gibson and Albright have made in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

from ewrestlingnews.com:

"Details are scarce at the moment, but Joey Mercury's release is related to the WWE Wellness policy. More details on this story should be coming out in the next few days.

Last May, Mercury failed a drug test and was forced to serve a 30 day suspension.

Also note, the story circulating around the internet in regards to Mercury supposedly assaulting Stephanie McMahon is completely false "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

I was surprised to hear about it last night. I think Mercury is a great wrestler and always put on a decent match!!

As for the whole rumours of an incident with Stephaine, I don't think it's true. It would be more likely to be a breach in the wellness program than that...

TNA bound me thinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It would be more likely to be a breach in the wellness program than that...

Yep www.f4wonline.com are confirming it too:

Joey Mercury's release was due to Wellness-related issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Yep www.f4wonline.com are confirming it too:

Joey Mercury's release was due to Wellness-related issues.
    Shame :p

It had the makings of a great story, despite how ridiculous it was.

Advertisement