Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

White pants anyone?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was hoping to never have to post this again, however...

f88c65ed02092b8966b87f58ab9c1a31.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

I've seen them on lads my age (22), usually after Love Island finishes up.
    The only people who can pull them off are tanned people on their holidays in hot countries.. Ireland on it's one good weekend doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

who calls them pants ?
    pants are jocks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tunsil

connundrum wrote: »

*please note that this post took 15 minutes to write, I had to stop midway for a dump. I feel it added extra emotion to the whole episode :(

Seems like a good reason to steer clear of white pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

syngindub wrote: »
    who calls them pants ?
    pants are jocks !!

No they're not only people in the UK say that, the rest of the world pants = trousers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

shockwave wrote: »
    No they're not only people in the UK say that, the rest of the world pants = trousers

UK and Ireland, at the very least. Also remember, that most of the rest of the world doesn't speak English natively.

Absolutely nobody in Ireland will assume "pants" = "trousers" unless they've been infected with Americanisms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Apparently the Irish did indeed invent trousers...

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=trousers
    trousers (n.)
    "garment for men, covering the lower body and each leg separately," 1610s, earlier trouzes (1580s), extended from trouse (1570s), with plural ending typical of things in pairs, from Gaelic or Middle Irish triubhas "close-fitting shorts," of uncertain origin. Early recorded use of the word indicates the garment was regarded as Celtic: "A jellous wife was like an Irish trouze, alwayes close to a mans tayle" [1630]. The unexplained, unetymological second -r- is perhaps by influence of drawers or other words in pairs ending in -ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

White pants and Guinness don't mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

people in the UK? I dont think ive ever heard an irish person call trousers 'pants'

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I have never called trousers, pants in my life

Pants are jocks or pantaloons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 nick.kohl

I have

Advertisement