Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Results when braces are removed?

• 26-03-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭

I've recently had my top brace removed and should have the bottom brace removed in the next few months, I currently have a retainer which I only wear at night and one of the springs on the retainer has yet to be activated.

My question, are the positions of my top teeth my final result or will the retainer continue to correct my teeth? If its the former I'm not that impressed after 4 years of treatment. I intend to bring this up with my orthodontist at my next appointment but I'm hoping to hear other people's experiences. Is it possible to have completely uniform teeth or and is every case different? My teeth were overcrowded and that have been corrected but my two front teeth are still at a lower level compared to rest of my teeth. Prior to treatment, I specifically asked the orthodontist would my top teeth be perfectly straight across when treatment finished and he assured me that they would be. After 4 years and circa €4000 I was expecting perfect teeth. Am i jumping the gun a little ( will the retainer continue to correct my teeth ) or should I ask the orthodontist to explain why the results are not what were expected or indeed assured by the orthodontist?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

its all in the name

a retainer retains the way your teeth are. If you're not happy you might have t get braces again

your front teeth could be naturally bigger than the rest, mine are a tiny bit

you should tell your orthod' that you aint happy with the results

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Rolo Tomasi

unreggd wrote:
    a retainer retains the way your teeth are.

I'm sorry, its not that simplistic, my retainer has 2 springs that are moving my premolars. I was wondering whether the combination of the two springs would continue to change my bite. Thanks anyway, I'll bring it up with the Ortho.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Your teeth are not supposed to be straight across. If you think of an imaginary plane joining all of the cusps of the upper teeth, ideally all the cheekside cusps of the teeth should touch it but the lateral incisors (the teeth beside the central incisors) should be off the plane by 2mm or thereabouts - that represents the ideal functional and aesthetic relationship of the teeth, not straight across. Anyway, you are entitled to have your teeth look the way you want them to but there may be limitations to orthodontics in terms of aligning the teeth 'straight across' as you put (if my understanding of your description is correct) especially in terms of periodontal health and the fact that the lateral incisors will be less resistant to forces.

Advertisement