Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV programme about addiction to chocolate, sweets, cakes.

• 26-03-2007 11:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this subject is entirely right in this forum but, I saw a TV programme recently about a young woman addicted to chocolate, sweets, cakes etc... I think it was called Freaky Eaters. It was on BBC and this woman was seriously addicted to sweet things. I think she ate 250-300 chocolate bars, and 100+ packets of crisps per month. Every night she was getting through 6-8 choc bars and 3-4 packets of crisps. Very sad situation, she seemed a very nice person with a job, family etc....the programme helped her with her issues and she got better by the end. So happy ending.

I didn't think anyone could really be addicted to chocolate, sweets or sugar until I saw that. During the programme a doctor told her she would get diabetes if she continued the way she was going. I know this was an extreme case but sobering all the same.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't know, I believe that you can get addicted to chocolate at least. Whenever I give up chocolate (for Lent, or whatever reason), I go through pretty serious withdrawal for about a week. Mood swings, depression, irritability, all that. And I can't just give it up on a whim either. I have to prepare for it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Archeron

I wonder what makes it work the other way? I used to be a demon for all things sweet when I was a nipper (giant Yorkie bars are responsible for my trouser size) but in recent years, I've kind of lost the taste. I'm 30 now, and since I was about 28, i have less and less interest in sweets, and now, I rarely have a joccy bar at all. Even if they are being waved around the office in front of me, I have no bother in declining them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I gave up all chocolate, sweets, biscuits and crisps for lent (although I rarely eat crisps anyway, maybe about once every 3 months or so) and I was suffering serious withdrawals the first week! I'd usually have about one sweet thing a day, so it wasn't a lot, but I'm fine now, not really missing it much. Feel much better as well! :D

Advertisement