Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10p Chew Bar?

Options
  • 27-03-2007 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

I heard these delightful treats mentioned in another post, and couldnt help myself.. what gum-pulling sugar-corrupted 10p chew bar tickled your fancy, back in the day before dirty aul pints and cigarettes (unless chocolate) ate all your disposable cash?

I was a Roy of the Rover child myself; like kids on speed we were :D

Best. Chew Bar. Everrrr.? 41 votes

Wham!
    0% 0 votes
    Roy of The Rover
    24% 10 votes
    Cola Bar
    21% 9 votes
    Woppa
    2% 1 vote
    Dan Bar
    14% 6 votes
    BlueRave
    21% 9 votes
    Eh, that cherry one..
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    2% 1 vote
    Stingers
    12% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

not on the poll but stinger bars were the business! :D

oh and woppas of course! great times when you could rot your teeth on 5p! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Put stingers in that poll god-damn you ! //Shakes Fist
    Stingers were the buisiness, they dont taste the same anymore though :mad:

Mint Woppas !! Oh the nostalgia !

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

Have a look here to jog your memory
    http://aquarterof.co.uk
    then select chewy bars from the side menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Time bars, chomps, black jacks,fruit salads, fizzy lizzies. I can feel my teeth loosening just thinking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Trampas

Smiley bars.

I remember eating tonnes of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

not on the poll but stinger bars were the business! :D

oh and woppas of course! great times when you could rot your teeth on 5p! :D

What were woppa's again? I remember the name alright!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

its a tough choice but think i will haev to go for cola bars. they were the bees knees
    did ye ever get your fave chewy bar, roll it up and stick it in yer gobs and then try and proceed to chew, hours of fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Stingers FTW :) I did also like Wham bars and Dan bars. I wouldn't touch any of them today though, although if a Chomp bar was on offer I'd happily eat that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

The only ones I've tried from that list are Dan Bars. Loved Stingers too.

Tackle69 wrote:
    What were woppa's again? I remember the name alright!!!

Woppas were about 10CM - 15CM long and a bit wider than your average plastic ruler. I remember them being available in two flavours - Mint and Cola (Green and Red packaging respectively, both with blue writing). I also remember them being sold for 5p and the fact that they'd pull the teeth out of your head :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

i remember these bars called "the big chew" cost a little extra, 15p, but it was huge, very similar to a strawberry refresher bar

c - 13 wrote:
    Woppas were about 10CM - 15CM long and a bit wider than your average plastic ruler. I remember them being available in two flavours - Mint and Cola (Green and Red packaging respectively, both with blue writing). I also remember them being sold for 5p and the fact that they'd pull the teeth out of your head :)

Yes i do remember them.... i remember going into the shop with 50p and coming out with 10 woppa's... those were the days!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Poll edited, Stingers added.

Stingers were great, but I picked Dan Bars. Mmmm. I pretty much loved all of them though!

Actually what were BlueRaves, I cant seem to recall those ones, I remember all the rest though.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

The Whoppa bar was not that chewy! A roy of the rover now that was chewy.....and a bitter bite to be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mmm so many good bars, probably Roy of the Rovers for me though I often ended up eating bits of the wrapper as well as it was so hard to get the damn thing off! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Back in the day, a Dan Bar or Roy of the Rovers were the bars of choice.
    But it is certainly one of the childhood foods I could not bring myself to eat these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

caffrey wrote:
    i remember these bars called "the big chew" cost a little extra, 15p, but it was huge, very similar to a strawberry refresher bar

Oh.My.God. i loved those bars.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Country-Bumpkin

I loved Dan Bars and the orange version of the chomp....smileys?? I also loved postman pat sweets, I wonder could you still get them anywhere, haven't seen them in years?

Are Woppa's actually available anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Beans_On

anyone remember Howler bars? kinda purple with sherbet inside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Dan bars... used to think it was peoples fillings in the bar... but I still ate them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Black_Venom

Stingers :D reli sour...

Also liked chop bars and those little taz mania 2p bars but there chocolate so not sure if they count :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Shockers are pretty sour as well, the sherbet in the middle is face scrunchingly bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I remember finding Irn Bru bars in a shop once, which were absolutely lovely. Never saw them again afterwards. They built up a sort of mythical status among me and my friends. I love to try one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think they were at least the same colour as the Desperate Dan bars, did they have those black sugar crystals in them as well? Something about Irn Bru bars and the drink was magical alright (or so we thought). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

caffrey wrote:

Ah, strawberry refreshers, so wrong and yet so right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Blisterman wrote:
    I remember finding Irn Bru bars in a shop once, which were absolutely lovely. Never saw them again afterwards. They built up a sort of mythical status among me and my friends. I love to try one again.

This site says they stopped making the irn bru one's, but perhaps you could try these wham bru ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Although Roy Of the Rovers bars were my favourite, only because of the sourness, I still think you're missing a few great ones from the poll, like bruiser bars (apple and blackcurrent, I think), fruit salad bars,
    but most importantly of all...Lazer bars, I'm surprised nobodies mentioned these. They were like time bars - lumps of toffee, except covered in white chocolate (instead of normal chocolate) and in a blue wrapper made of paper.

Delicious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Blisterman wrote:

After Wham bars, these were my favs!!
    Such a real tangy zing to them.

Did anyone else ever put these bars in the fridge, and then chuck them against the ground - you were left with lots of little 'chew bits' that seems to last longer!!! And there was the added bonus of not having to pick away the wrapper if it stuck :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement