Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vandread

Options
  • 27-03-2007 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen it? At first I was mildly interested, but as it goes on I got sucked into it and it finished really well. The battles are pretty good especially the last one. I found this site for it this evening that can explain what its about better than I can, although its very indepth so perhaps keep away from the episode synopsis. Its basically set in a universe where men and women live on seperate planets and are at war with each other, and centres around a few men and a crew of female pirates that take the men hostage and their adventures trying to stop the mysterious harvest. Like I said it doesn't seem all the much to start with, quite light hearted but becomes more intense as the series moves on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Anyone seen it? At first I was mildly interested, but as it goes on I got sucked into it and it finished really well. The battles are pretty good especially the last one. I found this site for it this evening that can explain what its about better than I can, although its very indepth so perhaps keep away from the episode synopsis. Its basically set in a universe where men and women live on seperate planets and are at war with each other, and centres around a few men and a crew of female pirates that take the men hostage and their adventures trying to stop the mysterious harvest. Like I said it doesn't seem all the much to start with, quite light hearted but becomes more intense as the series moves on.

Saw it a while ago. I thought it was ok. The story is ok and it's funny at times. But I found some of the dialogue to be a bit cringe inducing. I think it was because it has more mature undertones but is done in a very childish way. I watched the dubbed version first and then the subbed version about a year later. The subbed version wasn't as bad. As the story goes on it hints at taking a darker route but never really takes it too far.
    I liked the mix of CGI and regular animation with the battle scenes.

I think some of the characters seemed very similar to those in Martian Successor Nadesico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭GWolf

I love it. Very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Ahhh...remember seeing this 'round 2000 on VCD, then the second half about a year later. It was enjoyable enough to watch, but they established the universe so well that I was always expecting it to take a bit more of an 'epic' turn.

Some of the jokes are the obvious ones to be expected of a gender-clash comedy, the logic of the universe has a few 'loopholes' and the plot isn't the most original, but when it came to the final battle I did find myself wanting to see more - which is always a sign of a good anime. The characters did develop along a story arc and it wasn't simply a 'monster-of-the-week' scenario. Some of the background and incidental characters remained very 2D-ish, but that's to be expected really on a show that tried to cram so much into a narrow timeframe and, to be honest, wasn't a huge distraction.
    However, I didn't actually think the series would end so abruptly. I half expected some sort of joint-taskforce head towards Earth to find out exactly what did happen: was the harvest the plan from the beginning? Did Earth become corrupted or was this what the colonists' leaders agreed to in the first place? Is Earth unopposed - some of the races at least displayed some developed space-faring ability, and if they had planets for every organ or aspect, surely some would have banded together in resistance? And that living crystal deal - what was that? Alien entity or some human invention from times past. Maybe some of those questions were answered in the series itself (it's been six years since I saw the series), but I always did expect some sort of sequel - be it a full series or a one-off movie - to fill in the gaps and bring about a more solid conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

With regards the crystal the best I could figure is that it was like a joint force between the girls and guys. I had a better theory about it when I was watching the Anime but, em I forget. I agree it could have been much more epic and there seemed like room for a sequel series at the end. I was disappointed at that really cause like I said before even though it starts out quite lighthearted it really draws you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Yeah - yet another series that could have used a sequel but looks like it will never get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement