Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army has better things to do than cull 'menace' deer

Options
  • 27-03-2007 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Arial]Irish Independent 27/03/07

Army has better things to do than cull 'menace' deer
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial] [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial] DEFENCE Minister Willie O'Dea has rejected a call from a party colleague for Army snipers to help in culling deer in an area where they are thought a threat to forestry, motorists and cattle.
    The Army has better things to do, he said, than shoot deer in Clare, where FF County Councillor Colm Wiley said the animals are causing havoc.

Mr Wiley, who represents the Scariff electoral area, has asked for Army marksmen to be brought into east Clare to help with the cull.
    "When you look around, there would be 10 or 12 in them in a field and they are fierce domesticated. Ten years ago they weren't like that, and were up in the hills. Now, there are so many of them, they could start breeding with the sucklers," he said.

While his comments might be met with amusement, he said it was no joke where forestry, farming and road safety are concerned.
    Clare Co Council has discussed a motion to commence a cull immediately.
    [/FONT]

Surely they could get help from Deer Society members!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

CG did ya get the SSG yet, we could go for a trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i thought they would jump at the chance good practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Not yet Veg.But I will be making a call to a certain councillor after reading this to give me another name for my application.Then I am off to Henry St again!!!:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I think i rememebr someone telling me that the army snipers culled goats both for live practice and to control the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

The army was brought in to cull goats in louth during the foot and mouth crisis.

I was in an organisation that offered culling services to the government and farmers in Australia- no shortage of volunteers for that.
    We would spend a week camping in the national park, they would close off a couple of hundred thousand acres to the public and we would cull goats cats rabbits Sheep camels pigs.

Had to do courses and be accredited shooting profiency etc.

• Advertisement

Surely there are professional Coillte gamekeepers around for this sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Traumadoc wrote:
    I was in an organisation that offered culling services to the government and farmers in Australia- no shortage of volunteers for that.

I just had a conversation with my brother about this. Is there anbody currently offering their services to the government for this, is the Deer Society??

Would be great if you could get a contract with the government for this, might allow you to write off tax against hunting gear.

Is there anyone doing this professionaly and if so where do I send my CV.

Veg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Funnily enough the Amry lads would jump at the chance, they culled goats during the foot and mouth, have been known to cull cattle from time to time and wild dogs worrying sheep. All this was done at the local level at the request of the relevent body (Gardaí, heath board etc.) and troops were available in the area. Bit stupid that this should all be being in the Dail. I dont think they want to be known for getting in to pest control though.

Surely there are professional Coillte gamekeepers around for this sort of thing?

They are ,but their range is behind a desk in an office these days.Plus they are shortstaffed,and the govt aint hiring.:rolleyes:

This counciler gets better...According to the Clare People newspaper,[where this article was syndicated from proably] Titled "Lock up your heifers,or see the consequences."
    The good counciller claimed that ..."the deer are breaking down fences,and pretty soon they will be mating with the cattle".
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hmm..... .The Fallow Freisan.:rolleyes: :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Did anyone else hear the piece on morning ireland this morning, I assume it was the councillor in question, The interviewer asked him had he heard of any crossbreeding between deer and cattle, and the councillor replied to the effect that the Cattle had a "worried" look in the morning.
    The interviewer had to cut away quickly as he was cracking up with laughter.

Advertisement