Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car, just renewed tax up to 2008

Options
  • 27-03-2007 8:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Planning on trading my car in a couple of weeks....renewed my tax last week....

I was told by the garage that this would have to stay with the car and it was not transferrable. Is this correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

correct and right. car tax is not transferable. It applies to the car not the owner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Can you not remove the disc before you trade it and send it in for a refund? The new owner can then tax it themselves as it can sit on a garage forecourt untaxed (not sure of the legalities of this, but I've seen loads of cars at dealers that weren't taxed).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

refund only applies if the car is being scrapped or permanently left off road IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Say bye bye to your car tax afraid the tax disk stays with the car no refund unless as colm_mcm states

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

If you were to move it privately a years road tax is a good selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Add the Tax to the selling price.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

layke wrote:
    Add the Tax to the selling price.
    If only it were that simple. A years tax will add to the value of the car, but not to the value of the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Road tax is not transferable or refundable (unless the car is being scrapped). It stays with the car unfortunately. The UK allows you to get a refund alright but typically not here.

Selling a car with 12 months road tax will generally not increase it's value, it will simply make the car that bit easier to sell however. You might try and negociate an extra €100 in the trade-in price to ease the blow at best. If you were thinking of trading the car you should have just taxed it for 3 months rather than 12.

Advertisement