Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with Pets

Options
  • 27-03-2007 8:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi all,
    I am at my wits end trying to find a place for myself and my very well behaved dog to rent. I have been looking for about 2 months now and have not found one property that would allow a dog. I am prepared to pay a "doggy deposit", but that has not helped my cause in anyway. I am looking for a place to rent in South Dublin as far as Wicklow Town would anyone know how the best place to go about this would be?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

MrsSimba wrote:
    Hi all,
    I am at my wits end trying to find a place for myself and my very well behaved dog to rent. I have been looking for about 2 months now and have not found one property that would allow a dog. I am prepared to pay a "doggy deposit", but that has not helped my cause in anyway. I am looking for a place to rent in South Dublin as far as Wicklow Town would anyone know how the best place to go about this would be?
    Thanks.

MrsSimba

I would have been willing to help you (having two dogs myself) but unfortunately both the rooms I rent are rented out. I really do sympathise but persevere and you will get there sooner or later. Can you get a letter of recommendation from your previous landlord about your dog being well behaved etc and showing the potential new land lords that?

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MrsSimba

Hi Shane,
    Thanks for replying unfortunately (well not unfortunately) I have my own home but my relationship is breaking down and I need to find somewhere to rent, no previous landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

This is the hardest to to ever find, i think it takes pure luck.
    I moved to Cork 4 years ago adn was lucky enough the second and third house i moved into let me keep my dog.
    Unfortunately this time round i had to send my dog back to my Dad to mind in Sligo, so she's there now till myself and the boy buy our own house in a few months time. The hardest thing to do. I was finding it next to impossible to find a place that would keep her.
    I wish you the best of luck in finding a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My sister was lucky to move into a flat in South Dublin that tolerated dogs with her Lurcher, the owner had several dogs already including labradores, She was driven crazy by the owners dogs barking all night.Thats what you will probably have to put up with if you are lucky to get any place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Try putting signs up in more rural Wicklow areas. You might get a response. I'm renting with two dogs myself in the Roundwood area.

• Advertisement

Sorry for dragging this post up again! Fits do you mind me asking how did you get your place in Roundwood?
    Shane did your tenants happen to move out!:)

When I moved out first I didnt have a dog. Moved into a house owned by the worst landlord ever, I'm not exaggerating. I was quite traumatised for a year after moving out of that house, and we left considerably out of pocket. Anyway we found the dog straying while we lived there, and I think he saved us both from nervous breakdowns with his friendly cheerful presence.

I digress... once out there I made some contacts and heard when a house came up and they accepted the dog (now we have two!).
    We're looking at moving if something more suitable comes up for us, I'll pm you the details of my current place if we find somewhere else (current place is just too small for two adults and two dogs but would be perfect for one).

That would be fantastic thank you so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

We had the same problem, but got lucky.

What I tried, was not telling anyone I had a dog (or cat) and viewing properties, when it came to the offer I asked about the dog ans at tha point the landlord agreed, but only if we paid a two month deposit!!

mind you, we rented unfurnished so the risk to the landlord is probably a lot less.

mind you, we rented unfurnished so the risk to the landlord is probably a lot less.

Me too...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 scottya

I've had so much problems with this before.

1. Make sure you have amazing references... ( i even faked a doggy reference with my friends name on it posing as a landlord...basically said that she was the perfect tenant (my lurcher))

2. Do out a thing like a cv, with your references, and a mini version about you and your life. e.g where you work ( i got a reference from my job saying how much i got paid etc so that they would know i could make the rent each month)...how far work would be away from your home (e.g. would the dog be locked up all day)

3. Take a really nice photo of you and the dog. Dont mention the dog to the landlord before you have viewed the place, then when you meet the landlord and wow them with your references (fake as they may be), mention the dog...and before they freak out show them the picture of how nice your dog is. Mention That its a very trained and calm dog etc, well behaved, and toilet trained and all that. And you will make sure to pay for an extra deposit to make sure their house will be looked after. You promise them that their house will not be wrecked in any way.

I can give you more details of what i did, i got my dream rental house by doing this, on my first viewing when i decided to move! Please dont despair you just need to plan it alot more than any normal place would!

Pm me if you need copies of my references that i had for the landlords...

Hope it works out!

Advertisement