Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Price for a demo model

Options
  • 27-03-2007 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm car shopping at the moment. I came across a very nice, well specced demo car yesterday. It's 3 months old, has full leather, sports pack and a few other extra's. Basically the car retails at €40,000 new for the standard model. This car has €3,000 worth of extras and it's only 3 months old with 5000km on the clock. I've been offered it at €37500 as a straight cash deal.
    Is this a good price for a demo or should I be looking to get more off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

Donie75 wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm car shopping at the moment. I came across a very nice, well specced demo car yesterday. It's 3 months old, has full leather, sports pack and a few other extra's. Basically the car retails at €40,000 new for the standard model. This car has €3,000 worth of extras and it's only 3 months old with 5000km on the clock. I've been offered it at €37500 as a straight cash deal.
    well if you bought it yourself and were trading in , you gota ask yourself what would they give you in a trade in? erm,

is it a volvo? if its a demo, then most likely lots of people would have driven it
    and i imagine hard driving too....as they would be test driving it....
    if the car is 40k new, then its defo not worth 37500 with 5k on it...

need more info......what make/model is it? as some cars depreciate more..........remember salesmen dont do you any favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

It might be a demo but its still second hand. I'd be looking for a bit more money off, especially for cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It very much depends on what kind of car it is.
    You may never see that extra 3 grands worth of demo car spec come resale time.

For example there is a three litre fully specced ex demo Citroen C5 for sale on carzone.
    Pity the person who buys this, thinking they got a great deal.
    A few months down the line, that yoke will have a resale value of exactly zero and all the leather and electric gizmos in the world won't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

I would say minimum 10% anything up to a maximum of 15%. So if new it is 40000 (extras are worth nothing imho) then I would say discount of between

4000 to 6000

I would start and by telling him you will give him 34000 and work from there. If you are a good bargainer then you might get it for 35,500 if not you should defo pay no more than 36000. I once watched a master bargainer at work. He examined the car for an hour and wrote down every scratch, piece of dirt, wear and tear, grease spot and smear he could find. Then he argued with the dealer for another 40 minutes until he got the price he wanted. It was painful but fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

That reminds me of the time i got my car down from 3250 to 2800, then haggled for 40 mins to get it down to 2750, well worth it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

That reminds me of the time i got my car down from 3250 to 2800, then haggled for 40 mins to get it down to 2750, well worth it though!

I'd run you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks for the advice. It's a VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Highline, metallic, full leather, sports alloys & sports pack. Knowing the VW sales guys it will be hard to get it for anything less than €37k.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

depends on how strong your barganing powers.

I managed to get nearly 3K of a new VW recently, i'd say you should easily get a good bit more off for the demo !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

A €40K car could be haggled down to €38.5K with a bit of work. So if their asking price is €37.5K I would be aiming for about €36.5K at the most.

Before you go into the dealer, make up your mind on the absoloute maximum price, and be prepared to walk away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Donie75 wrote:
    Hi,

Defo not a good deal. Reverse the role and ask yourself how much that garage would give you on a trade-in for that car. Probably €33,000-34,500. So I would say €35,000 for the car (and they are still making around 2k profit on the sale)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€37500 - nah. Chances are you get a brand new one incl. the extras for €39750.

€36000 is about your mark maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

€37500 - nah. Chances are you get a brand new one incl. the extras for €39750.

€36000 is about your mark maybe?

thats still too much for a second hand car with 5k on it!
    and its a demo too so i bet it was driven hard , id say the clutch took a bit of abuse already. its second hand!

i rekon €35k not a penny more
    here is the question, how much extra would a new one cost??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

what_car wrote:
    thats still too much for a second hand car with 5k on it!
    and its a demo too so i bet it was driven hard , id say the clutch took a bit of abuse already. its second hand!

i rekon €35k not a penny more
    here is the question, how much extra would a new one cost??

Yep. I agree on mature reflection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Are you trading in a car .....no ?

What year is the demo car ?

I would forget about the 3k worth of extras, now you are looking at either this car or a brand new basic car at the same price !

Tell the guy you want a new one, let him sweat, reduce his price (dont make him an offer just yet). When he reduces his price go out for a walk and another look. Then tell him your going to check around, but "Whats the bottom line ?"

What ever he says.......shake your head and walk off, but give him your phone number and tell him to ring you in the next hour. If he does then go back and make him an offer, if he doesn't ring then you have to decide whether you are prepared to pay this final asking price !

Its all about letting them sweat, but ALSO leaving a door open for yourself ! Break the price down in stages.

Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

ask to see the sales manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

realistically you're not going to find an 07 of that model traded in. demos are a good alternative to a new car, and it's not reasonable to expect that they'd be as cheap as a second hand. That said, I'm sure the demo rebate VW are giving on a high end Passat is high enough, but I'd say 37500 isn't too unreasonable if the new car is 43k

Advertisement