Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband in Gorey

• 27-03-2007 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Gorey next month and my new house doesnt have Broadband.

I've been looking around and seen a few offers but i want to ask here if anyone can reccommend a service.

I would like to have at least 2MB line. (under €35/Month)

Also i dont want to get a phone line installed as i wont be using a house phone, Does most services require you to have a phone line already installed?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Gorey is covered by Permanet for wireless broadband, other than that I'd say your only choice would be DSL over a phone line as I'm not aware of any others. That would also be subject to line quality and distance from exchange, etc.

Do you know of anything else available in the area? If you mention names then someone may be able to give you an opinion on whether they're any good or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I think Digiweb are in the area. but dont know if you need a phone line or not.

Theres also Perlico but you need a phone line for them.
    Theres imagine.ie but i'm not sure if they are in the area.
    I'd say Eircom are out there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Permanet is your only wireless option Im pretty sure. Digiweb only provide dsl in Gorey no FWA. The usual array of dsl operators are in Gorey, No Smart or Magnet though Im afraid. No cable broadband operators either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 Leonard Cohen

www.regionalbroadband.ie is the website for a Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) broadband provider that is now definitely serving Gorey ( Regional Broadband now serve many South East towns and villages)

You get a small square panel about the size of 4 beermats on the side of your house or chimney or on the tv antenna pole and it comes down via cable to your house and you have broadband without a phoneline.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

It all depends where in Gorey you are. In the town all of the usual DSL providers are available. Outside of the town it gets more complicated....

If you're on the outskirts of Gorey (Like me) Try checking the map at broadband.gov.ie it's pretty accurate as to who is providing a service where.

Permanet does seem to be in the area, not sure if regional is here yet.

And beware you can buy Digiweb or Irishbroadband boxes at the local shops but there is no service locally (beats the hell out of me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

www.regionalbroadband.ie is the website for a Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) broadband provider that is now definitely serving Gorey ( Regional Broadband now serve many South East towns and villages)

You get a small square panel about the size of 4 beermats on the side of your house or chimney or on the tv antenna pole and it comes down via cable to your house and you have broadband without a phoneline.

I have heard nothing but BAD things about this crowd, I'd stay away. If you can't get DSL, which you should in most of gorey, then Permanet is by far the better option. There are a least 4 "other" wireless operators around the area that I would stay clear from.

BTW, just noticed....why bring up a year old thread to advertise a provider?

good Point Azzereti, I think I smell a rat (or maybe a regional broadband employee :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

azzeretti wrote: »
    I have heard nothing but BAD things about this crowd, I'd stay away. If you can't get DSL, which you should in most of gorey, then Permanet is by far the better option. There are a least 4 "other" wireless operators around the area that I would stay clear from.

BTW, just noticed....why bring up a year old thread to advertise a provider?

Because he is pretty obviously connected to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IamSimon

I've been with Regional Broadband for about a year, I have had nothing but the worst service you could possibly imagine.
    During my year with them I have had to constantly email, ring and text to get a half way average service, if I leave them alone, my service goes to about the same standard as dial up, and thats no exageration. Trust me, stay away, thats from a customer who knows, I got so desperate I got O2 mobile broadband, least I get a above average service with them. The only reason I stayed so long with them is that they are unlimited, but at the speeds I get, thats worthless.
    Not only are they worthless, but they charge me 34.99 for 1mb, and just the other day I visited their site, and found out they charge 24.99 for 1 mb, not 34.99, so they have been over charging me by 10 euro!
    Stay well clear, REGIONAL BROADBAND ARE CROOKS!!!!!

My 2 cents. I've only had regional for 2 months now. So far so good, consistantly getting at least the 1mbit I'm signed up for, with the occaisional downtime if the weather's really bad, on the whole much better than my mobile bb experience (but then again I was with Three!!)

I am having some issues with disconnects in games, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the ISP or my router setup.

I know 2 other Regional customers in the Village I live in, one has had good speeds and stable connection the other has had a terrible one. I think your connection quality is all dependant on proximity to the mast and how clear a line of sight you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 IamSimon

I moved house there about 2 weeks ago, and took my Regional with me, I had great service for the first few days, about 3 megs upload and download, then it went back to the usual 100 kbps for download, my thoughts are that they are deliberately limiting download speeds to people, and I know for a fact that I can get a great service from them, they just have to give it to us and stop limiting people in the Gorey area where the population is larger.
    Mlo wrote: »
    My 2 cents. I've only had regional for 2 months now. So far so good, consistantly getting at least the 1mbit I'm signed up for, with the occaisional downtime if the weather's really bad, on the whole much better than my mobile bb experience (but then again I was with Three!!)

I am having some issues with disconnects in games, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the ISP or my router setup.

I know 2 other Regional customers in the Village I live in, one has had good speeds and stable connection the other has had a terrible one. I think your connection quality is all dependant on proximity to the mast and how clear a line of sight you have.

428342819.png

I'm on the 1mbit service and I have to say I'm realy happy with it. Now I did have Three mobile broadband prior to Regional to make sure my standards were lower :).

I can play online games (even PVP) and off peak dl speeds are usualy really good.

Now I think it's possibly just down to contention and the luck of the draw as to wether you have a good signal as to the speed you get. But I'm more than pleased with them and I don't see any evidence of throttling.

BTW I don't work for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Land Of Idiots

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, just wondering if anyone has found any other options for wireless broadband in Gorey?

I currently have regional broadband but would like to switch as I don't find them to be consistently providing the level of service paid for. There have been many days where connection is so slow I can't even check email. However, they do have unlimited downloads which I like and is the only real reason I would remain a customer.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Sorry for bumping an old thread but this is the exact problem i am having. Moving to Gorey and have no internet in the house. Dont want to pay more than 30 euro a month and have no interest in using a home phone

Advertisement