Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of clipping nails?

Options
  • 27-03-2007 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, i've got a german shepherd 4 years old a big teddy bear. His nails i've notice are quite long and sometimes its hard for him to walk, i've tried clipping them but he makes it quite difficult! any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

You could bribe him with food, hog tie him so he can't move or take him to a vet and ask them to do it, that generally costs about €35 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

He was quite sick when he was younger so going to vet is a no no unless he's sick, what about sleeping tablets? my gran use to give her dog sleeping tablets at halloween

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

by the sounds of things youve never clipped his nails before so not sure its a good idea to try without experience. If you cut too much youll nip the quick and it will be painful for the dog and will bleed quite a bit. If you dont want to go to vets how about a dog groomers, youll need to muzzle him though, teddy bear or not, esp if he wont let you do it, hes not likely to allow a stranger. When you walk him do you walk on concrete? this usually will keep the nails short without having to clip at all. In saying all this I just remembered you said they cause him discomfort in which case you prob need to bite the bullet and bring to vet in case theres an infection or one is ingrown or something just to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Use a clippers with a sort of guillotine action, I find that these are better than using scissors. Put a muzzle or a tape muzzle on and have somebody else hold the dog for you while you clip the nails; tranquilizers should be used as a last resort only! How long are they roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

If the dog has white nails you should be able to see the vain that is in the nail if the nail is black you will need a UV light to see tham if you hit a vain it is very painfull on the dog and will bleed a lot.Really you should not need to cut a dogs nails if the dog is walked on paths the concrete will keep nails in shape once you cut once you do it for life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Good lord ...what are you like, people?

Muzzles, tranquilizers, tie him down ...what next?

Does he give "paw"? If so, let him give "paw" and hold the paw for a while, then give him a treat. Repeat and hold the paw for a bit longer that time ...and longer again. Repeat until you can hold his paw for a good while.

Then introduce the clipper (yes, the guillotine ones, like cigar cutters ...they're good) into the vicinity of the paw while holding it. Start playing with the toes and claws ...keep him calm and reward.

When the opportunity arises take any claw and clip off 3-4 mm ....biiiig reward.

Cut as many claws as you can before he gets restless or fed up. Repeat over a few days until all claws are cut.

In the future keep up touching his paws, toes and claws until it is totally natural to him and the next cutting session should only take a few minutes ...without any brutality or sedation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ask your vet to show you how, I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with it. Tranquilizers, now thats a laugh. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TOUCHSTONEBGLS

I side very strongly with peasant on this one. Can turn this around with patience. Be careful at first to not cut them back too far (into the pink vain) because that will be painful and create more problems. Better to nip off the ends and cause no pain. Lots of praise and reward and handling the feet often is key. Some vets can use anesthesia to cut them back very short and then you could maintain them from there. Anesthesia is risky business with dogs because some do not tolerate it very well. For others reading the post it is always best to train puppies into this from a young age. Handling the feet! Always nipping off the ends and not causing pain. Monthly is best when they are young. Becomes a routine affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

I use a buster collar (looks like a lampshade) as my dogs (shih-tzus) hate anything or anybody near their feet,Its the dew claws that are the worst to get at,but using this collar helps a lot,and I use a chiropodists scissors.Its not cheap
    but is angled for an easy and safe cut.:)

Advertisement