Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dachshund

Options
  • 27-03-2007 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

good morning

i need a bit of help.

my little nephew's cat died yesterday of mysterious causes (i think she may have been poisoned by some one or some thing)
    he does not know the cat is dead we kinda told him she ran away (second one in 6 months first one did run away)

So I thought I would take it on my self to get him a new pet but since I’m not a big cat fan I thought I would get him a small dog.
    I personally have a Pug but i thought a dachshund (sausage dog)

now here is the tricky bit where do I find a dachshund to buy or does any one know of where i would find such a dog.

any help would be welcomed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

are you looking at this type of dog because you think the child will like it because its a 'funny' dog?

or are you looking to replace the cat?

If the first two animals this child has had have ran away, or been killed, what chances has the poor dog?

Think long and hard about this. Cats are far more independent animals than dogs.

S

EDIT: reading your post again - YOU are not a big Cat fan -SO WHAT - do not buy the child a dog unless the parents have expressed a wish to have one. A dog is for life, not just because you don't like Cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Well at first I thought it doesn't matter if you don't like cats it's not for you but then again if the two poor cats already died from being allowed to go outside and wander then it would be a bad idea to get anymore. Cats should be kept indoors with ideally a safe outdoor area or cat proof garden this is proof that the outside world is not safe anymore for cats.
    It's an owners responsibility to keep their animal safe from harm as well as fed and watered.

So I would say don't get any animal until you discuss it with the childs parents. Some pure breed dogs come with health issues and all this needs to be researched and looked into if you go down the pure breed route. Plus there are a lot of puppy farms out there eager to sell to anyone who will buy.

If they seriously want a dog then get them to go to a local shelter, a 6 year old does not have a pet they are not able to hold full responsibilty for the animals health and saftey the pet would have to be a family pet. Where responsibility would need to be shared.

If they go ahead and agree to the dog then chose one very carefully.

Also children can be understanding if explained in a gentle manner they are better off knowing the truth of what happened to a pet. Only so many pets can run away before they realise you are telling porkies (speaking as a parent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

Sorry for not being clear.

first cat did run away its still alive as i do see it every so often around the neighborhood. so that was no lie.
    Second cat im pretty sure it had nothing to do with the kid why the cat died. may have been one of there neighbors or some thing. im not blaming any one.

the reason for the sausage dog is i think he will like it. also should it happen that for what ever reason something goes wrong with the dog I have no problem taking the dog in im pretty sure my little pug wont mind that much.

i wont take a cat if it goes wrong there is no space in my house for a cat and there will never be.
    i know a dog is a bit more work than a cat but i think he will enjoy the dog more than another cat.

also i have had a pet since i can remember and what sort of childhood would it be without your trusty hound by your side ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Zwartsj wrote:

first cat did run away its still alive as i do see it every so often around the neighborhood. so that was no lie.
    Second cat im pretty sure it had nothing to do with the kid why the cat died. may have been one of there neighbors or some thing. im not blaming any one.

the reason for the sausage dog is i think he will like it. also should it happen that for what ever reason something goes wrong with the dog I have no problem taking the dog in im pretty sure my little pug wont mind that much.

i wont take a cat if it goes wrong there is no space in my house for a cat and there will never be.
    i know a dog is a bit more work than a cat but i think he will enjoy the dog more than another cat.

also i have had a pet since i can remember and what sort of childhood would it be without your trusty hound by your side ??

You still seem hell bent on getting a dog for your own reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bartholmew

Zwartsj wrote:

I think your right get him a dog ,but how old is he and how much room has he.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Do his parents actually want a dog? As they're the ones that you're landing it upon;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

First off make sure the kid & parents want a dog.

Secondly what type of house do they live in? Dachunds can be delicate & can easily damage their backs.

Please talk to the family & do a lot of research before getting a dog. If you do decide on a dog why not rescue one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

It seems to me that the reason you are getting him a dog over a cat is purely based on which would suit YOU better if something went wrong. You prefer dogs so that's what he's getting?

Zwartsj wrote:

Maybe he'd prefer a trusty cat by his side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

Reason i want to get him a dog is pretty much because i dont like a cat.

second reason he thinks my little puppy is his dog forever want to bring her home with him

his mom has no problem me getting him a dog i have told her im going to get him a dog and she was happy enough about it.

they live in a four bed semi not the biggest of gardens but big enough for a small dog hence the reason im not looking for a German Sheppard.

adopting a dog from the spca has crossed my mind and have looked at a few on the various web pages but ill take a drive down to the shelter this weekend to see whats on offer. but i would still like a sausage dog for the little guy. i showed him some pic's of them dogs and he likes them. but finding one proves to be a whole different problem altogether

a bit of my reasoning may be that i have pretty much always wanted a sausage dog my self but the pug was just to ugly not to love :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TOUCHSTONEBGLS

Sounds like a small hound is on the right track. Don't know how young the boy is but many children would be thrilled with any type of small hound. May not need to be breed specific on this. You surely know the situation better. Hope one of the shelters can fill the need. I must agree that a small hound will be more interactive than any cat I have known of. A great pet for a child. Have had them from an young age myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement