Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2 3G Speed

• 27-03-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have setup my Sony Ericsson K800i as a bluetooth modem to my laptop.
    I get a speed of 115 Kbps when Im connected to the 2G or on the 3G O2 Network.
    Has anyone got faster speeds?
    Im in Athlone.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

there are 2 things working here
    one your connection with o2 between ur phone and o2
    and second the bluetooth connection from ur pc to phone

u need to see what is the max bluetooth transfer speed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭billbond4

I thought of that,and I connected my mobile to the laptop by the USB cable and Im still getting 115 kbps.
    So im guessing its the network setting the speed at 115kbps and not a 3G speed of 1Mbps or whatever.

No your right when I looked at the modem settings in the control panel, both the bluetooth and USB modem are limited to 115 kbps !!
    So i cant get faster than that !!

Got the speed up to 921600 by changing the option in
    "Network and Dial-up Connections" and right clicking on the bluetooth dial up connection.
    Its a pity that Windows limits this to 921600kbps, as you could get a higher speed if the 3G network has HSDPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

billbond4 wrote:
    I thought of that,and I connected my mobile to the laptop by the USB cable and Im still getting 115 kbps.
    So im guessing its the network setting the speed at 115kbps and not a 3G speed of 1Mbps or whatever.

3G is only 384Kbps afaik.

HSDPA is 3.6Mbps, moot point consider the K800i doesnt support HSDPA.

How did you get the modem working? Im still struggling with mine.. : (

• Advertisement

Yeah your right about it not supporting HSDPA, but it seems a bit faster now that I have increased the settings.

Ok to get my k800i working on O2, I had bluetooth and the SE PC Suite working fine, i.e any time I had bluetooth on in my phone and laptop they would connect.

Then it was quiet easy
    In the K800i goto
    Settings---> Connecectivity---> bluetooth---> bluetooth Internet
    I have selected the O2 GPRS data account
    (that I got from the SE Web page)

Back on my latop. open the SE PC suite, when the k800i is connected, click
    on Mobile Network Wizard
    Click New Conenction --->
    Packet Switched
    In the Modem --> bluetooth Modem ---> Comm 6 (on my laptop)
    Logon click next
    GPRS/3g

I selected the "internet" from the listed of data accounts and finish

Worked first time when I tried to surf the web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Silly question but what are the settings for 3g access on o2? I have a 3g sim and phone. But I was told they didn't have it active till May or something.

Which 3G settings do you want?

If your WAP browser is working on the phone and you have the 3G icon on the top line of the phone, then your using 3G

If you dont have 3G icon, either your not in a cell that has 3G or you dont have it enabled on the phone.
    Settings ---? Connectivity--->Mobile Networks ---> GSM/3G Networks
    * GSM and 3G
    If you have 3G enabled you will notice your battery running down a bit faster, so if you not using 3G just leave GSM only option in the above menu

Advertisement