Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Screen TV install

Options
  • 27-03-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭

Hi all

I just had a extension put onto my house. In the expectation of getting a wall mounted flat screen tv, the electrician put electrical cable halfway up the wall (behind the plasterboard) and left a big hole, the size of a double socket) where we can see the electric cable and a coax cable which runs from lower down the wall.

We have been told that the electrical socket should be to the side of the TV.
    We want him to put the socket on the wall, but in the correct place. Is there any correct place for the socket to go?

We would prefer not to see the socket once the tv is installed - some time in the distant future.

when wall mounting a flat screen, what distance is there between the wall and the TV - enough for an electrical socket?

Hope I am making sense.

Thanks in advance

Paddyo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Paddyo

My SONY brackets comes with a slide so that you can position the screen at a slight angle and should give you enough room to put a plug behind. Just make sure that you put/position the WM brackets up first before positioning the electrics as there quite big and the bars go from left to right. One for the top and one for the bottom.

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

it cery much depends on the bracket.
    Also note that the power cable for the tv will stick out from the wall AND could possible stick out from the TV.
    It might be best to get a TV and note how closely you can get it to the wall once plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

the correct way or the least intrusive way to do it is have the hole behind the tv on wall ,feed the power cord thru the hole to come out at or near skirting board where u should have ur power supply -u use this in reverve to send ur dvd or ntl cables up thru so all u see on the wall is a tv like a picture frame and no unsightly cables hanging from it -this gives the most professional look -a very small cabinet at the bottom of the wall will house ur dvd or sky box etc and all cables will be fed up thru the holes tothe back of ur tv

Advertisement