Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cricket in Irish Schools?

• 27-03-2007 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

While reading the Digital Version of Donegal News, up came the question in VoxBox, "Should Cricket Be Taught in Schools?"

The second reply was one that amazed me.

"No it shouldn't be taught to kids because it's not an Irish sport, but I obviously agree with teaching national sports such as Hurling and Gaelic. They're not going to bring baseball over here so why cricket? It's a different country's sport and I hate it anyway."
    - Wayne Cantwell, Letterkenny

So according to Mr Cantwell, we should only have Gaelic sports in schools. Does this mean that sports such as Soccer, Basketball, Rugby, Volleyball, Badminton, Tennis, Hockey, Athletics and other non-Irish sports should be dropped? Ireland would become the laughing stock of the whole sporting world as we'd be crap at every sport we tried.

A recent survey showed that Ireland had the 2nd worst allotted time for Physical Education in Europe (Britain was worst). If anything, we should be broadening the scope of sports we can participate in at school. It doesn't have to be cricket but it's not a bad choice. I think it should be there a voluntary sport. Why not? I've followed cricket all my life, but never had the opportunity to play. Why deprive other generations of the same opportunity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

deman wrote:

"No it shouldn't be taught to kids because it's not an Irish sport, but I obviously agree with teaching national sports such as Hurling and Gaelic. They're not going to bring baseball over here so why cricket? It's a different country's sport and I hate it anyway."

A lot done, more to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zeuz

The attitue of alot of the people in Ireland to do with forign sports being played here is PATHETIC to say the least!

Soccer is Not Irish?
    Nor is Rugby
    Squash isint
    Tennis isint,
    Hocky isint
    Basketball isint

So what Is cricket just puching the boundries that LITTLE bit to far??
    (excuse the pun)

man Some people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Sometimes i ****ing despair for this country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

deman wrote:
    While reading the Digital Version of Donegal News, up came the question in VoxBox, "Should Cricket Be Taught in Schools?"

The second reply was one that amazed me.

Lads, there's idiots everywhere. I can guarantee somewhere in Ireland someone doesn't approve of gaelic football because it interferes with people playing hurling.

Let these people stew in their own ignorance, don't give them the oxygen of publicity (or the oxygen of oxygen, for that matter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Boggers are what boggers are. Ask the same question in Dún Laoghaire and you'll proberly get a slightly less hostile reply.

Cricket will never ever be mainstream if only cos its relatively complicated and even a very limited overs format is a full afternoon long.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

mike65 wrote:
    Boggers are what boggers are. Ask the same question in Dún Laoghaire and you'll proberly get a slightly less hostile reply.

Cricket will never ever be mainstream if only cos its relatively complicated and even a very limited overs format is a full afternoon long.

Mike.

And comments like that are exactly what us country people object to in the average d4 dickhead.
    Keep the bigotry out of here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

mike65 wrote:

I disagree completely - you're as likely to get the same reply in South Dublin as you are in South Kerry. Some of the best cricket followers/players come from outside the Pale, so I wouldn't alienate any area of the country, if I were you...

The one thing I can say with certainty is that there are many, many closet cricket fans around the country, and hopefully our world cup success will bring a few of them into the open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

legspin ;) Don't read me too literally.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just another one of Mike's trademarked self-depreciating posts :)

Advertisement